Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 19 replies

I've had somewhat of an epiphany....hopefully this will spread...

wearethedisease

Aug 12, 2010, 11:30 AM
...and help to make all of us who stand in the line of fire a little more understanding.

I had a young kid in here just a minute ago, just super uneducated and asking the "dumbest" questions.

Why are they dumb questions? Is it because WE know the answers and THEY don't?

Here's the epiphany -

WE WORK IN THIS BUSINESS. We research and read articles and go to trainings and learn new things EVERY SINGLE DAY. These people...our customers...they DON'T. We're here to educate the uneducated. Yet, we hate them for being so "stupid".

Granted, some people just lack common sense, and that's very sad for that person and super frustrating for us.

My point is, we say customers are stupid, retarded, and any other synonym you can think o...
(continues)
DartStuticus

Aug 12, 2010, 12:26 PM
Stupid with Ignorant. I have nothing against ignorant customers. They just don't know any better. I despise Stupid. You can educate ignorance. You can't fix stupid.
wearethedisease

Aug 12, 2010, 12:27 PM
And you can be put in the group of ignorance, not willing to open your mind and be more accepting.

Try again.
DartStuticus

Aug 12, 2010, 12:42 PM
Example: the customer who is on my phone right now, and isn't hanging up because he doesn't know the line is still connected. He has an android phone that some one sold him that he has no business having.

He doesn't know how it works, I've told him that his google account is not something a carrier has access to and that he should reset his password if he can't remember it. However when you set it up, the phones will tell you to make sure you save your password somehow. What about my previous statement says anything of ignorance to you. I actually happen to throughly enjoy educating people on things they don't know about. It pads my ego, which admittedly is pretty big. I can't stand people who think they are owed something however and d...
(continues)
slolearner

Aug 12, 2010, 7:38 PM
..."You're" with "Your"
slolearner

Aug 12, 2010, 7:43 PM
That sounded harsher than I meant. 🤭

I do agree with your statement though. I never am frustrated when I have to help someone learn something. It's when I feel like I'm parenting a five-year old that I get frustrated.
DartStuticus

Aug 13, 2010, 1:14 PM
No I see where you were going with it. Point still stands though 🙂
ochne

Aug 12, 2010, 12:46 PM
Ignorant: Uninformed but willing to be educated. (Low percentage of callers fit this group)

Example:
Cust: I was told this phone was free so why is there an upgrade fee for it?
Rep: The was no charge for the phone but to get the phone for no cost you had to upgrade and that does have a fee per your terms and conditions.
Cust: Oh. I wasn't told that....

Stupid: Educated or not on the topic, refuses to accept the truth of the situation and believe that no matter what they agreed to they are not responsible for things. (high percentage of callers fit this group)

Example 1:
Cust: I have unlimited text messaging so why am I being charged for text messages to South Korea?
Rep: Because your plan is for unlimited domestic text messag...
(continues)
joeybuschette

Aug 12, 2010, 12:51 PM
Those are defientlly stupid. Customer who know the truth and refuse to accept it are just plane stupid
deepc

Aug 12, 2010, 2:21 PM
Remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question.....there's only stupid people who ask questions 🙂
DartStuticus

Aug 12, 2010, 2:42 PM
a Shirt with that. 🤣 😁
wildscent

Aug 15, 2010, 12:56 PM
😉 😉
me12

Aug 12, 2010, 7:34 PM
When you are sitting behind someone and you hear them say to custy

"I cannot bill it to the account, if I do not have any in stock."

You kinda give up on humanity, sigh, and get on with the fact most humans when alone and they have too much time to themselves are silly foools.
PhonemanJ

Aug 13, 2010, 10:51 AM
Actually, these days, I hear more stupid answers than questions. More often than not, a customer will come into my store and say that "The guy at the other store told me ____" or "Customer Care told me that if I did this then that would happen" or some such thing. I know that customers hear what they want to hear or just plain lie. But when I hear the same thing time an again, you begin to wonder if these people were trained at all, and on top of that, who trained them. I know that some reps make stuff up, just to get rid of the customer. I know, I have seen it happen in my own store. When it does happen, somehow I end up trying to solve the problem and explain what is going on to the customer. I am not pointing fingers at anybody at either ...
(continues)
Mr. Scary

Aug 13, 2010, 11:48 AM
I think in some cases, yes, we're complaining about customer's "stupid" questions that really aren't stupid but just innocently ignorant, and we call it stupid because we're in the business and already familiar with it.

In some cases, yes, that's how it is.

But not all.

Some customers are just plain totally clueless, AS CONSUMERS.

These days, in order to protect yourself as a consumer, you have to do a certain amount of research and educate yourself about certain products and services so that you know what's important, what isn't, and even just how the whole thing works in general, particularly when it comes to technology. This is true of cars, for example. Everyone who owns a car (and presumably drives it) has to know certain ba...
(continues)
80dollarcarcharger

Aug 13, 2010, 12:04 PM
It's nice to see something positive on here. Way to go. But to be fair, I must admit that most complaints/rants I see on here are based on valid stupidity
ruler_goddess

Aug 13, 2010, 12:17 PM
All I have to say is people who refuse to learn are then not uneducated. That's when they are stupid and that's over 99.9% of the people who call me or go to the stores.

There is no excuse for these people.
island4prez

Aug 14, 2010, 12:38 PM
I applaud this because I was just thinking this same thing the other day.
sinister

Aug 15, 2010, 11:49 AM
amaaaaaaaaazinggggg.....seriously? you thought that was an epiphany?

customers don't know what we know?

lol apparently you don't deal with reality...for example

i just got off the phone with an older gentleman that was calling in to change his rate plan back down to ft550, he WAS at the beginning of the phone call on the ft700 & says that he wants to move down. so i told him i didn't recommend it. he asks why, to which i reply well sir, one of your lines is grossly going over 550 mins, you would incur overages if you lower your rate plan.

so he asks, well how long have i been on the current rate plan? i told him a month because he went over the ft550 last month & called in a week before his cycle ended & had his rate plan moved ...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.