Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 22 replies

Do you speak Portugese??

deepc

Aug 8, 2010, 7:01 PM
So my last caller gave me very broken English and wanted a rep that could speak fluent Portugese.

When I told her that we only have a Spanish line, she was upset and didn't understand why we don't have a dedicated Portugese line.

So..I'm already fed up with the fact that our companies have caved in to a whole section of people that can't or refuse to learn our language(and pay the bi-lingual reps extra money) but this just p'd me off that now, other people are becoming upset because we don't have dedicated reps speaking their unique language.

If you could see me now, for all of those people, I'm displaying the universally understood flying fickle finger of fate with my middle finger. Get the f out of my country and go somewhere tha...
(continues)
sprintchickwv

Aug 8, 2010, 7:21 PM
If you can speak one, you can pretty much speak the other. There's probably more of a difference between Spanish as spoken by Spaniards and Spanish as spoken by Mexicans than there is between Portuguese and Spanish.

Woman just doesn't want to put in the effort. Pft.
deepc

Aug 8, 2010, 7:25 PM
That's what I figured and I transfered over to Spanish in hopes that they would understand well enough.

I do understand that there are differences but grrrr ๐Ÿ‘ฟ
Amarantamin

Aug 8, 2010, 7:46 PM
I'd of connected the customer to Telesales, which is based in the Philipines.
knights

Aug 8, 2010, 7:47 PM
๐Ÿคจ
ubngaw

Aug 9, 2010, 5:24 PM
huh? ๐Ÿ˜• well our language is barely diff those broken portugese thing,., ๐Ÿ™„
kittie

Aug 9, 2010, 7:10 AM
What for? ๐Ÿ˜•
Amarantamin

Aug 9, 2010, 8:01 PM
Portugese and Tagalog sound identical.
Mr. Scary

Aug 9, 2010, 8:04 PM
My favorite term in Tagalog is "Malacanang Palace."
knights

Aug 10, 2010, 2:48 PM
that's a place anyway ๐Ÿคจ
kittie

Aug 10, 2010, 7:59 AM
Noo.

You see, I'm in Telesales and yes I am based in the Philippines and yes I speak Tagalog so I really don't know what made you think that.

It's slightly offensive that you would suggest to transfer a Portugese speaking customer to Telesales just because in your opinion, our languages sound the same. Even if that is the case, it doesn't mean we'll understand each other better.

Most Tagalog words sound similar (or are actually derived from)to Spanish but when a Spanish customer calls in, we still need to transfer them to the department that speaks their specific language because we can't understand them no matter how similar our languages are.

AND, if I'm not mistaken, the TS is a rep from Telesales, wh...
(continues)
Amarantamin

Aug 10, 2010, 1:16 PM
Oh, it sounds like a supervisor would need to be engaged for this situation. It's okay, I'm sure Telesales can do it!
knights

Aug 10, 2010, 2:49 PM
great.. ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿ˜‰
libreyloco

Aug 9, 2010, 5:15 PM
i agree
Mr. Scary

Aug 9, 2010, 3:03 PM
No? How about Dutch?

No? How about Uighur?

Wow, you DO?

๐Ÿคฃ
RavenSkyhawk

Aug 9, 2010, 6:19 PM
Du sprichen die duetch? Nihongo es pa? I want a dedicated line for German and Japanese, I don't see that one happening any time soon. ๐Ÿ˜•
Mr. Scary

Aug 9, 2010, 8:03 PM
"Nihongo es pa"???

Never heard that one.

"Nihongo ga dekimasu ka?" of course, or "Nihongo ga dekiru no?" or "Nihongo shaberu?" but "es pa"? Don't know that one.
deepc

Aug 11, 2010, 12:38 PM
Wakarimas sen????
Sigma1570

Aug 9, 2010, 8:43 PM
Heard this one from a chinese friend.

What do you call someone who is normally uneducated and only speaks one language?

American! Hahaha
iljaaf21

Aug 11, 2010, 12:42 PM
Maybe we should dedicate a line for those who want to speak Klingon too. ๐Ÿ˜›
serendair

Aug 11, 2010, 1:33 PM
Dibs on being the first rep to speak Elvish!
deepc

Aug 11, 2010, 3:19 PM
ixne on the velshi ey and the lingon gay
phyxlor

Aug 14, 2010, 12:08 PM
We have customers who dont live in the US but travel all over and spend enough time here to make it feasable to have a phone account here, so we can get a translator on the line to interpret for us. that takes the usual 5 min call and turns it into a 45min call, but i think its cool to hear other languages. the customers are usually really happy with the fact that we got a translator for them.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.