Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 14 replies

VERIZON HEAD EXPLODE

SUMC_MEAD

Jul 2, 2010, 11:51 AM
😲 So my vosberg and i are in the verizon store. i need a world sim from vz for my converted over tilt. the poor rep at the store had no idea what my buddy was talking about. Then vosberg goes into what i call 'tech mode' He starts going off about changing the radio version and doing a cdma conversion on the software. The poor rep looked like his head was gunna explode from tryin to understand what he was saying. 🤣 🤣 🤣
SUMC_MEAD

Jul 2, 2010, 12:11 PM
sorry was gunna say my buddy but decided to say vosberg and forgot to get rid of the word my
Vosberg1

Jul 2, 2010, 12:15 PM
No, it is alright, cause i was the "Vosberg" that he was talking about.
DartStuticus

Jul 2, 2010, 2:43 PM
Too bad CDMA carries use preloaded ESN, and the only way you'd be able to activate it would be on prepaid carrier that will flash a phone for you. Verizon and Sprint wont.
Vosberg1

Jul 2, 2010, 2:59 PM
Now, to point that is true, but here is the thing. The device that he wants to activate (this is why the rep was having fun with me in the store) I can convert anything that is Windows Mobile from a GSM to CDMA, as long as the customer has the CSIM. That card looks like a GSM SIM card, but it loads the ESN along with the ICCID that is needed to run off of the towers. I had one of those SIM's in hand at the store, downfall is that card is 30 $, and they would not activate it in a differnt phone. All i have to do is just change the radio version from the 1.65.25.2 that the device is using right now to a 2.5.66.22 or 3.1 varent.
DartStuticus

Jul 2, 2010, 3:28 PM
I dont see how that would work unless you have access to back end systems... In which case I doubt you'd be posting on phonescoop in "Shop Talk"
Vosberg1

Jul 2, 2010, 4:13 PM
It is not a in a sence "back-end", what i do is actally re-do the entire OS of the phone. That is the nice thing of Windows Mobile Devices, run a Task32a threw Mitty, reformat the device to the FAT32, and then get the right Radio Version on the device, and then place the OS back on the device, call the activations line with the ICCID of the CSIM, and get it to link with the ESN of the device. But in this case the IMEI becomes in HexDecimal format, thus servicing as the ESN. And, the really nice thing is that i do not have to do a Dec to Hex conversion.
DartStuticus

Jul 2, 2010, 5:01 PM
Ok, but that still doesn't mean that the ESN will be in the carriers data base. Its the same reason you can't activate a Sprint phone on Verizon or vice versa. Both phones are already CDMA anyway.

The ESN isn't loaded in the system, so the network wont recognize it. Its not a function of the capability of the device, its a function of what the network is allowed to recognize based on its own internal database.
Vosberg1

Jul 2, 2010, 5:31 PM
That is true on the VLR, which holds the carrier specific ESN's, however, there is the HLR, with holds all of the individual ESN's. If there was a flag in the VLR, it will still work on the HLR, unless it was to get flaged on the HLR. Then, you lose the network conductivity. As far as programing, that is easy, there are pre-programed settings that you can use. And, just program the data so that things are up and running.
ecycled

Jul 3, 2010, 12:58 PM
Thank you, valuable and amazing information
Vosberg1

Jul 5, 2010, 1:05 PM
In the scope of things, Verizon offers a CDMA SIM card for world traveling. It alows new phones like the Touch Pro 2 to be unlocked, and used on other services. The main thing that accures, though, is for it to fully work on the GSM bandwiths is there has to be a correct radio version. Now, if it is just for voice usage international, cool, the SIM card, when inserted into an unlocked device, will auto-provision. Dats settings may or may not. Depends on the carrier. But, for some services, like countrys that use 700 Mhz for data, or 2100 Mhz for data, the Radio version must be changed to the correct carrier / technology. Practiual use in the states, if you have a CDMA SIM card, the card can be inserted into any device that is either a CDMA u...
(continues)
Poking Pixie

Jul 5, 2010, 7:02 PM
that you could use an AT&T phone on a Verizon network...AT&T uses sim cards, Verizon does not. I was told that you could not unlock an AT&T phone and use it on Verizon. 🤨
Vosberg1

Jul 10, 2010, 8:27 AM
Verizon has a world "SIM" card that will alow the use of a GSM device on the CDMA platform. there is just a lot of reprograming that needs to be done to the device before a GSM device cna be used.
Snooky

Jul 10, 2010, 10:51 AM
Nope, VZW GSM freq is not available in the US.
Snooky

Jul 10, 2010, 10:58 AM
The CDMA ‘world’ phone is a dual band, not quad band like current GSM BlackBerry devices. The CDMA ‘world’ phone uses the 900MHz and 1800 MHz bands. North American CDMA carriers use 850 MHz and 1900 MHz. Basically this device will use CDMA in North America and GSM in the rest of the world.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.