Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 11 replies

Quick question, fellow American call center workers

CustomersAreRubbish

Jun 8, 2010, 10:27 PM
If you have to use break to use the bathroom during the first part of your day, and then use your scheduled break, is your supervisor allowed to tell you that for the last 5.5 hours of your shift you only have 1 minute and 40 seconds of break?

Pretty sure it's an OSHA violation but that's just me.
Thefireballkid

Jun 8, 2010, 10:29 PM
i think it does go by the time you spent on break. they are required to give you 30 mins of break time for every 8 hours. how that is spaced out is your decision. at least thats how it is here in nm.
CustomersAreRubbish

Jun 8, 2010, 10:30 PM
I think Oregon law's pretty clear on it. They also tried to not give me a break because I worked 3h 57m one day. Oregon law is pretty clear that you get some sort of break for every 2h 1m you work.
rlpinca

Jun 9, 2010, 2:05 PM
If your state is an employment at will state, they can do pretty much what they want. Most states actually don't have any regulations regarding breaks or lunches.
NEPats726420

Jun 9, 2010, 2:22 PM
it CT (at will state) you have to be provided an unpaid 30 min break for every 8 hours of work, thats it!!
80dollarcarcharger

Jun 9, 2010, 5:56 PM
same here in ohio
alee

Jun 10, 2010, 3:12 PM
Where you at in Ohio? Im close to Dayton.
80dollarcarcharger

Jun 17, 2010, 12:30 PM
I'm at downtown dayton
CustomersAreRubbish

Jun 9, 2010, 5:36 PM
From a blog that I dont have the URL for. Was the first result when I googled for oregon break

I work at a restaurant in McMinnville Oregon and there seems to be some conflict between employees and managment concerning break times that are required by law. Management tells many that they are not allowed a break at all until they have worked five or six hours. I was under the impression that there is a required break time of ten minutes for every four hours a person is to work and that Oregon allows at least a twenty minute break time for a meal if an employee is scheduled for more than five hours. This would mean that an eight hour shift would get two ten minute break periods and one twenty minute meal period. Am I understanding this co...
(continues)
rlpinca

Jun 9, 2010, 5:46 PM
Only 6 states. I thought it would be low, just not that low.
iljaaf21

Jun 9, 2010, 5:52 PM
It varies from state to state, but I beleive that bathroom breaks, according to OSHA, do not fall into the 'scheduled' breaks. You would have to look up the laws on it in your state though.
freephones4all

Jun 10, 2010, 9:39 PM
Best thing to do is document everything you think is wrong. Be sure to use dates and times. File a complaint with your state labor board.
A company my mom worked for had to pay her and the state fines. The reason it worked for her was the daily documentation she kept. Just handwritten in a note book.

Get em'

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.