Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 14 replies

my accent

Sombrero

Feb 2, 2010, 10:47 AM
i have an accent and i work at a call center, but it is not thick in person, but i think that over the phone it is amplified, and i think a lot of customers who call think im in another country and hang up on me โ˜น๏ธ
kiki_kaluah

Feb 2, 2010, 11:10 AM
do you get a lot of hang ups. It shouldn't really matter, my brother in law has an accent and works in a call center and he does really well.
Sombrero

Feb 2, 2010, 11:17 AM
ok, maybe not a lot of hang ups, but i can hear my accent over the phone lol
afroman4

Feb 2, 2010, 12:06 PM
maybe you should impersonate a different accent that people would like better...i do it all the time sometimes and it makes a difference
Sombrero

Feb 2, 2010, 12:22 PM
im gonna impersonate a white male, that otta do it ๐Ÿ™‚ lol
phatbasstard

Feb 4, 2010, 7:21 PM
I don't necessarily discriminate because of accent but i will hang up if i don't like the sound of a cc rep when they answer. Especially if i need something out of the norm done and they don't sound like they are having a great day or they just generally sound miserable or dopey ๐Ÿ˜‰
alee

Feb 4, 2010, 1:32 PM
"all the time sometimes"? Which is it buuuuuuddy?
fattony48

Feb 5, 2010, 2:21 PM
afroman4 said:
maybe you should impersonate a different accent that people would like better...i do it all the time sometimes and it makes a difference

๐Ÿคฃ
rainbow_metals

Feb 2, 2010, 3:28 PM
i think sometimes it depends upon the type of accent because as a person without one, for me the hardest to understand is an asian accent. But an english, aussie, south african carribean accents aren't so bad.
Sombrero

Feb 2, 2010, 6:21 PM
just passed the last couple hours thinking about it, and i realized that its not so bad
OTIS

Feb 4, 2010, 5:20 PM
That sounds like a good thing
sprintchickwv

Jun 6, 2010, 8:58 PM
If it makes you feel better, I have no accent at all and still got accused of having one once. The guy was from San Francisco and kept insisting that he couldn't understand me and I "must be in the Phillippines somewhere." I escalated him, but before I did, I asked the team lead "Hey, quick question: do I have an accent?"

"No," she said, sounding confused.

"Cool, thank you."

I checked the notes five minutes later and she had noted 'customer stated that previous rep had an accent; however, I talked to her and she does not have one. customer had no real issue, just wanting to pick a fight.'

I could've hugged that lady.
retrocool

Jun 7, 2010, 7:51 PM
It's just that not everyone's is understandable to everyone else.
sprintchickwv

Jun 7, 2010, 8:31 PM
Since I was born in Texas, raised in Kentucky, and currently live in West Virginia, I would be totally fine with someone saying I have a southern US accent. But Filipino? ๐Ÿคจ
retrocool

Jun 7, 2010, 8:48 PM
My favorite Filipino word is "Malacanang Palace."

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.