Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 10 replies

Restocking fees

MissYo

Oct 9, 2009, 1:05 PM
Why must we charge them to customers who absolutely hate their phones/ Having issues. I just upgraded a customer into a new phone and told her if she was any problems with her phone that I would help her out and get her into a different one no hassle. Well the next day she comes in with problem (she said she cant hear people whe she is in the car) and another one of my coworkers is helping her. (I'm designated host for today because Sprint is too cheap to hire real ones. So I really cant help her at this moment.) My coworker blows her off and says you want a different phone you pay the restocking fee. Now she just returned the cell phone and is probably going to cancel. There goes my sale. Why can't some people actually try to help out the c...
(continues)
wizardofCroz

Oct 9, 2009, 1:18 PM
It's called setting the proper expectaion. By telling the customer she can return the phone with no problem, and not mentioning the restocking fee, you are leading the customer to believe what is not true. Maybe if you qualified the customer in the first place and got her into the correct device the first time, she wouldn't have to come back and want something else. The fault lies on you, don't blame your coworker for doing her job.
hereticcavi

Oct 9, 2009, 1:27 PM
EXACTLY
MissYo

Oct 9, 2009, 3:59 PM
No the thing is I did tell her about the restocking fees and I did qualify her. Its just that the phone that I chose for her she said she could not hear out of in the car. My coworker gave her the option to exchange for the same device but she refused because she was not satified with it. She was satisfied when she left yesterday but not today. Sigh. IDK??? like I said I was venting at the time and I felt that my coworker did not give my customer from yesterday good cust service.
wizardofCroz

Oct 9, 2009, 4:32 PM
I just upgraded a customer into a new phone and told her if she was any problems with her phone that I would help her out and get her into a different one no hassle

🤨
Menno

Oct 9, 2009, 4:51 PM
And how was she using the phone in her car? I had a customer pull something similar in my store. She complained that she couldn't hear it in the car, but then I found out that she drove around with the windows down and it was just a basic flip.

The restocking fee is there for the customer and the employee, to make sure they both understand that the choice of the phone is important and it is MUCH better to spend a bit of time thinking it over now, than just buying something on impulse and bringing it back.

One question you should always ask customers: How do you use your phone in the car?

If you asked her this and demonstrated the speaker in store, there should be no issue.
wizardofCroz

Oct 9, 2009, 5:10 PM
Sounds like a bluetooth sale to me
ecycled

Oct 9, 2009, 1:40 PM
Yeah thats a bum deal. Restocking fees if they fully return, but just to exchange. I'd waive it and keep the sale.
AVANESS

Oct 9, 2009, 2:08 PM
Yea if they want to exchange because of a defective handset I your supposed to waive the fee. I guess that is unless you work for sprint. Then you can do whatever you want. You dont deserve the #3 spot. Look out for project black.
wizardofCroz

Oct 9, 2009, 2:35 PM
There are very few instances where I will waive the restock fee. If the phone is malfunctioning and the customer can prove to me that it's malfunctioning, fine. But if the customer is just "unhappy" with the phone? Sorry you're paying the restock fee.
jeffatt

Oct 9, 2009, 2:30 PM
What's the policy on restocking fees & are they charged on exchanges? If that's the policy, like it's been mentioned, you can't blame your co-worker for doing her job, the fault lies with you for leading the customer on.

YOU might be willing to waive a restocking fee since it's your sale, but your co-worker might not be willing to put any of his/her credibility on the line.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.