Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 33 replies

entitlement...

ElTriste

Jun 30, 2009, 5:00 PM
so what gives mexican people the idea that they have a RIGHT to be spoken to in spanish? Last time I checked you have to speak ENGLISH inorder to get your citizenship right? so if you CANT speak english, you're not a citizen, and thus for not entitled to ANYTHING IMO. Furthermore, to assume i'm discriminating because I didn't immediately offer to speak spanish (as I watched you speak perfect spanish to another associate) is BULL SH*T. She's nothing but a spoiled bitch who cried every time she doesn't get something. People like her always get what they diserve and I hope she gets swindled something savage. If I could, I'd go back in time and convince her to invest with bernie madoff 🤣
supersens

Jun 30, 2009, 8:07 PM
WHO is Bernie Madoff? 🤨
NEPats726420

Jul 1, 2009, 8:09 AM
the 70 year old man just sentenced to life in prison for stealing millions and millions of dollars in pensions and investments by scamming people for the last 20 or so years
matonater

Jul 2, 2009, 6:54 PM
crawl out of the hole you are currently in
Ask The Shack

Jul 1, 2009, 7:52 AM
Who said that person was a citizen? That person is probably an illegal immigrant. As such, they are intitled to free health care at your expence, and all social services that they don't have to pay for. Oh, also, they will get a job over you because they have Affermitive Action, and other minority groups chearing for them.

Welcome to America. Habla Engles, numero uno....
matonater

Jul 2, 2009, 6:56 PM
that is one of my pet peeves why should I have to press anything for english. they should have to press buttons to hear spanish
ac4321

Jul 1, 2009, 8:20 PM
There is no "right" to have it, but it's a courtesy to know a bit of Spanish since Mexico is our neighbor country and most all of Central and South America speaks it.

In Europe, you typically learn two languages and pick up bits and pieces from a couple more, depending on who your neighbors are. Americans are pretty spoiled that most of the rest of the world learns English and we think we don't need to bother reciprocating.
ElTriste

Jul 1, 2009, 10:00 PM
I can speak enough spanish to get by, I just don't like to do so when it comes to anything overly complex like over 90 day refunds and such. Not to mention her english was better then my spanish. It's bull Sh*t to assume I didn't automatically start spouting off en espanol as some form of discrimination. We were trying to do her a favor because she was PAST the refund AND exchange date. I'd love to see her try and pull that crap at bestbuy or walmart.
PhonemanJ

Jul 2, 2009, 10:35 AM
Yes, Americans are lazy when it comes to learning other languages. However, previous generations of people who immigrated to this country learned the language, so this generation can to. Just a few years ago, there was a large immigration of people from Southeast Asia into this country. Yes, in their homes and neighborhoods, you will still hear thier native language, but most have learned enough English to speak somewhat with the rest of us. What aggravates me, is that someone comes to this country to partake of all of the benefits of living here, and will not even try to learn the language. I speak a little Spanish, but I know that if I were going to move to Mexico, or any other country that did not speak English, I would do my darndest to ...
(continues)
emdogg

Jul 5, 2009, 6:28 AM
YEY AC4321!!! someone said it =]
Decept.ICON

Jul 5, 2009, 4:18 PM
Neighbors? Generally speaking most interactions in America require you to speak english. Europeans have several countries in succession that speak different languages, but its not neccessary unless you travel to those countries.. I find a lot of people I know in Europe travel a lot therefor know tid bits of languages across their continent.. If you're not planning on going to Mexico learning spanish isn't a courtesy to our neighbors its a choice...
ac4321

Jul 6, 2009, 5:39 PM
In a business where a lot of potential customers speak Spanish, it's also a prudent business decision.

You can't expect them to speak English, but likewise you shouldn't expect them to give you their money.
Decept.ICON

Jul 8, 2009, 4:23 PM
Why can I not expect people in America to speak english? Everything in my store is labeled in english. All of my operating systems are in english. All of my forms print in english. Need I go on... My point is the courtesy should be the other way around.. I have no issue with people from other backgrounds.. I'm half cuban.. I have no problem with people speaking to me in spanish.. but assuming I should speak spanish or any other language is asinine..
GraGG

Jul 1, 2009, 8:33 PM
idk if they feel entitled to it, but I would sure as hell want an english speaker if I went in to get a phone in mexico
ElTriste

Jul 1, 2009, 10:01 PM
When it comes to phones, I've sold enough in spanish that honestly, is where I feel most comfortable speaking spanish. It wasn't a phone return, it was a router and a digital photoframe
fer712

Jul 4, 2009, 12:44 PM
so then what are you if you are not latin if im reading correctly your name is latin???? "el triste" and if you are latin and u putting down latin people something is wrong with you very very wrong. 🤣
SprintBGN

Jul 4, 2009, 2:26 PM
no there's not... I'm 100% Puerto Rican, born on the island, but I agree with him. When I was a kid, I took the time out to learn English, so they should go out and do the same damn thing. Hablo Espanol, bien, pero no quero. It pisses my customers to no ends when I refuse to speak Spanish when their English is good enough.
ElTriste

Jul 4, 2009, 4:21 PM
Thanks brotha
emdogg

Jul 5, 2009, 6:54 AM
that's just plain wrong... i speak fluent spanish and have worked CS & retail since i was old enough to work, not only do i speak spanish to my customers who have a hard time with english i also have deciphered some serious portuguese, italian and god knows what language that little man was speaking but if i have to do drawings and invented sign language to help my customers than i will. it's CUSTOMER SERVICE!
mist668

Jul 5, 2009, 10:10 AM
I've had some fun times using sign language and signs to sell phones to spanish speaking customers, as I only speak english and some lower end german.
Decept.ICON

Jul 5, 2009, 4:11 PM
you should change your name to lap dog... That's called order taking what you do...not sales... This is America. It's not mandatory to know spanish or speak it. They make it hard on themselves for not speaking the language the is predominantly spoken throughout the nation that they now live in...
fer712

Jul 7, 2009, 3:43 PM
and again who gives a if they don't know English so what if you know how to speak there language help them don't be a rotten ass muder effer do you think your better then some one else or something your the same as any one in this world
Decept.ICON

Jul 8, 2009, 4:21 PM
No I'm just just saying as a courtesy don't expect people from another country to speak the language of where you come from. That's common since...
Decept.ICON

Jul 8, 2009, 4:21 PM
sense*
ElTriste

Jul 7, 2009, 4:21 PM
If you read the original post, she spoke perfect english to the associate first working with her. She was just being lazy. If she spoke no english, then I'd gladly speak spanish. The fact that she felt discriminated against because I didn't outright say I spoke spanish was the issue.
dualitycomplex

Jul 7, 2009, 8:24 PM
haha selling with pictures and invented sign language thats rich, does the person even know what they were signing? I had a spanish customer that has made it so i refused to deal with anyone who does not speak english, the guy spoke enough to get by I asked him each time if he understood what I was talking about I even slowed down and went over things more times than normal, he smiled and nodded each time, the man SPOKE english, two weeks later his daughter comes into the store with him to do a return because I swindled her father on a deal and slammed him into a contract knowing full well he did not speak english, when I confronted him on it he stared blankly at me and acted like he didnt know what I was saying referring back to his daught...
(continues)
occowboy714

Jul 8, 2009, 1:29 AM
you've got to be kidding! Because English is not the official language of the US. As a matter of fact there is no official language here in America. So you should really know more about your culture and country before humiliating yourself. It is the most commonly spoken language but has never been declared the official language. Here in Orange County we have all different kinds of languages and cultures and embrace them not discriminate against them.
llama

Jul 8, 2009, 8:04 AM
right...like La Raza does...
Krantros

Jul 8, 2009, 6:12 PM
Actually, English is the official language of the US. It got added onto an environmental protection bill as a last minute addition and got passed along with the bill (in the same manner that pork spending does). Now the government has the right to refuse to make forms in languages other then english. They havent exercised this much, but the option is there now. Learn your culture and research your facts, You're an American Mother F*cker ^_^
silvabullit

Jul 8, 2009, 11:55 AM
I hate the fact that the company I work for is an American company. And yet when I call into them to add prepaid minutes to a customers account the first thing is press 1 for English 2 for Spanish

Kiss my mofo A$$!!!!!
Menno

Jul 8, 2009, 11:56 AM
yes, because it is a terrible thing for a business to seek customers from one of the fastest growing segments of our population.. 🙄
jeffatt

Jul 8, 2009, 5:11 PM
I hear that. If the sale is going to be good enough, I'll put a little more effort into it. I usually will try to use Google translator to get something across. If they are here for service or complaining or some ****, they can speak English or hit the road.

It all comes down to one thing: WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME?
fer712

Jul 8, 2009, 6:17 PM
🤣
lxav06

Jul 10, 2009, 4:34 PM
agree and disagree,
yes theneed to learn english ( to help themsleves understand what they get into) and 2 if i can speak another language and use it by golly i will. ( i for one really need to learn japanese so i can quit reading bleach and ghost in the shell, i prefer to read books, but i do love foreign films)
it's empowering to know that you can communicate with a person with thier own native tongue. i am a fan of doing things your self, so when i cna i will. that is my theory.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.