Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 12 replies

5 line iPhone cancel

outlaw_01

Feb 17, 2009, 5:04 PM
This is sickening. Why doesn't AT&T realize that people can make money on the iPhone by cancelling and paying ETFs and selling them online!? A five line cancel can be really detrimental to our stats and can make in nearly impossible to bonus.

Any other AT&T Retention reps get hit with the cancels for multiline iPhone cancels?

Who agrees that those should not count? THERE'S NO SAVING THESE CUSTOMERS!

I told the guy he could save over $1500 if he just returned them to the store and cancelled thru buyer's remorse. He said "no big deal, I'll just pay it."

He payed a $400 bill for the month so he's not going to profit much from this venture.

Frustration....
taoareyou

Feb 17, 2009, 5:13 PM
Assuming he can get $600 for a "jailbroken" phone on an auction site like ebay and assuming he paid $200 for each:

600-200-175 = 225
225 x 5 = 1125
1125 - 400 = 725

So, $725 in profit.
outlaw_01

Feb 17, 2009, 5:46 PM
snap, i guess i didn't realize they could get so much.

i think that only reinforces my point that we should not get hit with a cancel in these cases.
taoareyou

Feb 17, 2009, 6:11 PM
I just googled "unlocked iphone ebay" and saw a listed price of $670. Do they sell for that? I dunno. I hope not. 😈
devilsmafia

Feb 17, 2009, 6:12 PM
I see people selling them for $250 to $400 on Craigslist.
taoareyou

Feb 17, 2009, 6:22 PM
Maybe he will get stuck with them or take a several hundred $$ loss. 🤣
T-Monster

Feb 17, 2009, 6:21 PM
Now what would happen if the customer called and canceled within at&t's 30 day trial period and kept the phones. is there any sort of penatly since there's no termination fee?

The reason I ask is because I'm a t-mobile 3rd party dealer, and as most 3rd party dealers do, we have a clause in the signed paperwork saying that if for any reason you cancel service within the first 6 months of your contract that we activate for you, and you do not return the equipment to us, you get sent to collections for $300. This is because 6 months is t-mobile's chargeback period, and if the customer cancels service, the money we make gets taken back and we lose on the handset, so we have to make it up somewhere. I was always curious if corporate locations ...
(continues)
taoareyou

Feb 17, 2009, 6:34 PM
If you cancel within the first 30 days but do not return the phones, I am pretty sure the ETF fee is still applied. If they purchased the phones from a national vendor such as Best Buy they may also charge a fee for non-returned equipment in addition to the ETF.

I would like to think that cell phone companies would not entice people to churn by allowing them to pay contract prices for phones (which on most phones is discounted over $100 below retail price before rebates, the iPhone sibsidy is much more) and then letting them deactivate within the first 30 days with no penalty and keep the equipment.
ajlineman

Feb 17, 2009, 10:03 PM
You are correct in this assumption. The cancelation on the account can in fact NOT be canceled until the equipment is returned. If it is not returned then the customer is required to pay the ETF to cancel the account.
ikon

Feb 19, 2009, 6:34 PM
If he cancels within buyer's remorse and does not return the phones whatever company sold him the phones (be it ATT or radioshack) they will charge him an extra fee typically 200. Period, end of discussion.
Decept.ICON

Feb 17, 2009, 6:45 PM
charges back for the phone if not returned... And they charge retail. Take off with the phones if you want... He'll be paying 500 a piece for them in the long run. PLUS ETFs... Plus however much he gets ripped of by somebody for "jailbreaking" them... No profit..
Hombre07

Feb 18, 2009, 12:51 AM
AT&T charges back if there is no ETF. It's either full retail difference, or ETF. And he's already paying the ETF.
ikon

Feb 19, 2009, 6:33 PM
No service charges you for the phone if you cancel after the buyers remorse period they can only do an ETF.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.