Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 17 replies

I feel so bad

TrappedAtWork

Dec 9, 2008, 2:58 PM
when a custy comes in to cancel a line for a deceased relative. Especially when it's an elderly man cancelling his son's phone. 😢
Ellie004

Dec 9, 2008, 3:03 PM
😢 Awww thats so sad
OfAMightDivine

Dec 9, 2008, 3:21 PM
I hate those type of calls.

Especially when you can hear it in their voice.
TrappedAtWork

Dec 9, 2008, 3:26 PM
Yeah there really is no conversing with those customers. I'm always afraid i will say something stupid and make them snap, or feel worse.

"So do you have all your christmass shopping done yet?"

"How has your day been so far?"

"Looking forward to christmas?"

I haven't lost anyone really close to me, so i can only imagine how they feel.
illinformedcustomer

Dec 9, 2008, 4:14 PM
I have had a few people come in with a similar situation but it was the account holder who had passed away and the mother and son came into the store to transfer ownership. The CS rep on the phone just wasn't following the situation and kept asking to speak with the account holder. I let them use my phone here and wasn't believing what I was hearing. Then the CS rep said that they had to get documentation that he did indeed pass away and fax it to them. What a pain in the ass that has to be to go through
TrappedAtWork

Dec 9, 2008, 4:17 PM
in my case the son was the account holder, but i know what you mean. We have to fax in the death certificate. When you ask for it they look at you like "you don't believe me"?! My heart drops everytime i'm put in this situation.
srose.mhc.vzw2

Dec 9, 2008, 4:25 PM
wow..thankfully i haven't had to deal with a situation like that in my store yet... *knock on wood*
illinformedcustomer

Dec 9, 2008, 4:36 PM
Yeah, your lucky. I would much rather listen to the customers with questions about their SIMS cards and the people that refer to the phone as the "hot joint", ect. than have to deal with that type of situation again
srose.mhc.vzw2

Dec 9, 2008, 4:42 PM
i'm sure one day i'll have to deal with something like that. ...being in an industry like the one we are in makes it inevitable to deal with any situation you can think of at one point or another. ..it's just a matter of time.
TrappedAtWork

Dec 9, 2008, 4:46 PM
yeah, its not so bad when the person has lived their lives.

The worst one i have ever had to do was for a mother whos son had died of cancer. That was the only reason he even got a phone (because they were just doing anything to make him happy). Customer Service wouldn't credit the ETF because the service wasn't in his name. That was 3 or 4 years ago, but i did cry when she came in to cancel it, i had set up the service and helped them with everything.
srose.mhc.vzw2

Dec 9, 2008, 4:59 PM
wow... you're kidding me... they'll waive the ETF for some nimb-rod who b*tches and complains about how much their service sucks until they get their way... but when a customer has a legitimate reason for needing the ETF waived they can't do it... ...that definitely isn't fair on the customer's behalf.
ccareatatt

Dec 10, 2008, 12:59 AM
I hate people who dont think outside the box. Besides if some lies like that they will get it tenfold one day... I absolutely hate them.. occasionally you get.. well she was 96 and lived a great life.. those calls go a lot better.
sweetcherrygurl

Dec 10, 2008, 8:24 PM
it gets worse.

i was working alone on a slow sunday when this small, sad-looking woman comes in with her phone.
in a shaky voice, she asked how to save messages. at first i thought she meant text messages, but then realized she meant voice messages.

her phone was "voice record" capable for recording your phone conversations, so i told her i could most likely do it and asked for her voicemail password.

it took her a few tries to remember it, and i asked her if she was okay.

turns out that her husband died in a freak accident like three days before (i totally wouldn't be out in public only three days after my husband dying) and he had left the voicemail for her like two days before her death, and she wanted it because it was the o...
(continues)
Tmo Slave

Dec 9, 2008, 7:47 PM
I have had to deal with these types of issues a couple of times. None are very fun and are always depressing.

The one that really hit home was an older gentleman came in to the store his son had passed away and had a message on his voice mail from the son that he wanted to keep. We had to figure out a way to record it from the phone. Luckily our nokia 5300 was able to do that. He was very grateful.
BLEDSOE

Dec 10, 2008, 10:12 AM
The worst is when they decide to come in within mere days of it happening. I understand families feel the need to get everything taken care of...but come on grieve a little...take a breath and then come in. Had a wife come in to cancel her husbands line. As i live in a relatively small town i knew them both. She was just crying hysterically by the time we actually connected with the retention dept. I had to explain everything and then they kept asking her questions...she could not answer anything. The rep was about to tell her to call again later when i took the phone and asked if we could please just take care of this so she has one less thing to worry about.

I have also had several people with deceased children come in to get voicemails...
(continues)
thiscurveismine

Dec 10, 2008, 7:22 PM
The worst one that I have had was a mom who came in to cancel her son's account because he had been killed in Iraq. I called in for her, they said they needed to be faxed the death certificate and the lady actually apologized that it took her so long to come in to cancel the account. When I looked at the date, her son had only been dead for 3 weeks, I didnt see that as too long at all.
jonnygee007

Dec 12, 2008, 10:38 AM
Its terrible. I had a guy come in to put the line in his name because his wife just died of cancer. I felt so bad. He was such a nice guy and they had a young daughter.
usccsucks

Dec 12, 2008, 10:56 AM
I had a woman come in to change her account from her deceased husbands name about 2 months ago. He had died a month before and they had a 2 year old. I felt so sorry for her but she was holding up pretty well all things considered I thought.

Fast forward to last week, she came in with her phone acting up, I was working with it and trying to figure out what the problem was etc etc. She already had a new "friend" who she sent quite interesting texts and picture messages to. So while im trying not to 😳 freak out, she is talking to my co-worker about how sad she is and such. I know everyone grieves in a personal way but man...come on.... 🙄

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.