Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 16 replies

The death of do-it-all nice guy.

a99tandem

Oct 20, 2008, 12:36 PM
👿
Ok, here's my rant-

I love working in wireless. I thrive in the midst of all this technology. It excites me so much it puts a twinkle in my eye. He's the problem though, after doing this for 7 years with 3 different companies, I know darn near everything there is to know about cell phones and troubleshooting. Desptie the fact I work in a Svc/Rpr store, I still find myself doing all the customer svc, troubleshooting, and billing issues. Why?? Because I help every customer that walks through the door. It is my job to assist customers. My cohorts have a way of picking and choosing who they want to help. If a customer walks in with a bill in their hand, they get ignored until I step in and help them. It hurts my numbers, bi...
(continues)
kiki_kaluah

Oct 20, 2008, 1:21 PM
your co-workers suck, don't be a door mat.

Next time someone walks in the door, look busy and direct the customer to your co-worker. what is he/she going to do? Tell them no?
usccsucks

Oct 20, 2008, 1:35 PM
Screw that, welcome them then say something like "Nathan would be more than happy to help you with that today." Screw em, you have to look out for number 1. 😁
kapwww

Oct 20, 2008, 6:44 PM
Every day. I did a short stint at Radiosh*t and that was the worse situation EVER for that stuff. Nobody else would lift a finger to do anything other than sell and I caught hell for my numbers because I was keeping the back room arranged, stocking shelves, merchandising, and doing the general work that needed to be done. Near the end, I said to myself, if I can't beat 'em, join 'em. I quit doing the other work and the manager noticed very quickly. He started assigning tasks and they still didn't get done.

Now that I'm at a better company, if it is a busy day and someone comes in who bought from another associate, I figure out who they originally worked with (by asking, looking in POS, etc) and make the guy who got paid on the sale...
(continues)
Researcher

Oct 21, 2008, 12:42 PM
I have worked with people, even had managers, who used to say,"Just think of what we could get done if it wasn't for these customers!" 😕
kapwww

Oct 21, 2008, 4:12 PM
Or the other one I've heard (and used a few times) is "I would have the greatest job in the world if not for the customers". I usually modify it to "if not for the IDIOT customers" because we do have quite a few grateful customers who appreciate what we can do for them.
pixystyx

Oct 20, 2008, 7:56 PM
I can completely agree with you. I just recently started with a new agent and I feel like everyone here takes full advantage of the fact that I've been in the industry for years and feel that they can just sit back and relax while I take all the customers. It's so frustrating! I'll even be eating my lunch and if a customer comes into the store, they'll magically disappear and I have to forfeit eating a hot lunch to help some idiot pay his bill or something like that.
Nadesico81

Oct 21, 2008, 2:20 AM
Well my fine sir your are doing your job right. Most sales man have the "EYE" looking for the high class person who wants four single line activation on a 2yr with over priced insurance.

Now your doing the work they way it should be done. You are provideing customer service in a awsome way.

Think about it this way.

If you help XYZ custy with a bill pay and you ask him are you happy with current bill, phone service whatever. Talk him up into a new plan and be nice. Even if he does not buy now that person will remember you.

I once helped an pissed off old guy with his US Cell Star TAC when I worked at RadioShack. His phone was dead and needed a new battery cover. We had an old demo phone cover that just happend to fit his. Afte...
(continues)
Milkballz

Oct 21, 2008, 9:46 AM
Who the hell do you work for that you made that much off of that little, cause I want to go work there.
Ask The Shack

Oct 21, 2008, 10:50 AM
Milkballz said:
Who the hell do you work for that you made that much off of that little, cause I want to go work there.

He doesn't mean he made $1,100 in commission, but it was a $1,100 commissionable sale that went twords his total commission.

For 5 phones, plus accesorrys, I think that's low tho....
Menno

Oct 21, 2008, 3:33 PM
Depends on the phones. if the phones were free (or nearly free) they wouldn't go for much.
Nadesico81

Oct 24, 2008, 2:43 AM
That sale was a very long time ago. I have been selling for 8 years now. But right now im just part time.
Juanbyjuan

Oct 21, 2008, 4:07 PM
by women 🤣
a99tandem

Oct 21, 2008, 5:21 PM
Yeah, I've been told by several people I have vented to that I should join along in the games, but that's just not me. I'm better than the rest of the crowd and won't sell myself short- ever. After 7 yrs in the industry, I'm feeling the mobile burn (no not the website.) I love the tech, like most of the customers, and hate the BS. Sadly until I graduate, I'm pigeonholed! Phonescoop, you're all i have!! 😢 lolol
CellularHolocaust

Oct 21, 2008, 5:27 PM
Time to realize you're in Sales and that is your first priority?
BigShowJB

Oct 23, 2008, 11:46 AM
your commitment to customer service is to be admired. I work much the same way, but I'm also the only one in thekiosk most of the time.

Where you are failing is that you do not seem to be asking these customer to do two basic things.
Make sure you give them your card and :

1) ask them that the next time they come in to do an upgrade or add a line to their account, ask specificly for YOU.

2) network your customers. ask them for their friends business, their company's business, etc. get referrals. get phone numbers.
It's your money, go get it. Make sure your name is on their mind when they are talking about phones to their friends. You've got a talent for customer service that your coworkers don't seem to have. they are ...
(continues)
caca

Oct 23, 2008, 1:55 PM
get a job with customer service?

yeaah!!! so then u can help customers all day long and not have to bitch on how u cant... knock numbers out of the park! 🙄 🤣

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.