all discussions

show all 18 replies

"I'll take my business elsewhere"

learninghome

Jul 30, 2008, 4:34 PM
Closely related are:

"Well, I'm just gonna go to *carrier*, then!"

"I guess I'll be looking at other carriers then."

How do you react to this? Does this encourage you to get the sale and to be more lenient with the customer?

Or is it the last straw before you hang up/ punt them out of your store?

I think that this is the last thing I hear as soon as someone says it -anything else that happens after that sentence is me trying to get them out of the way so I can help someone else. Perhaps it's different in a live setting, but you can casually mention switching carriers over chat. Even if you don't mean it, it comes off as very passive aggressive, and trust me, most of the people I talk to who use it don't bother to word it ...
(continues)
learninghome

Jul 30, 2008, 4:35 PM
can't* casually mention over chat
Pretty Keeley

Jul 30, 2008, 4:42 PM
Nah, I know that as soon as someone says anything like that, I basically stop feeling sorry for them, and am actually ready for them to walk out, switch carriers, and quit being a pain in my a$$!

I know my co-workers in surrounding stores feel them same.

Though how many of those customers actually cancel and switch? In my experience, maybe one. ๐Ÿคจ
learninghome

Jul 30, 2008, 4:57 PM
Maybe it's just that we know they're making empty threats that is so annoying.
Pretty Keeley

Jul 30, 2008, 5:02 PM
Possibly.
ac4321

Jul 30, 2008, 6:56 PM
My favorite-

"Sure, this phone is (insert price here) with a new two year agreement."

"Why would I resign a contract? I'm going to (insert random other carrier here) in a few months anyway?"

I just kind of stop trying at all at that point to save time. It's not worth arguing with them why it's pointless for us to sell a phone at a loss, with no contract, and then they leave anyway. I just quote the full price and wait for them to leave or bring themselves around to reality.
MrGoofball

Aug 1, 2008, 11:57 AM
I start singing.
Na-na na-na. Na-na na-na. Hey-hey-hey. GOODBYE!!!!๐Ÿ˜›
stevereyes1987

Aug 1, 2008, 12:32 PM
When a customer says that, I really think they believe it hurts you, like its your company they are leaving. I have had chat customers say the same thing. "this is to pricy im going to such-and-such". My response is thank you have a nice day!. They hate that! when they see it does not hurt me they actually get mad. I love to not close the chat after I say goodbye just to see what they time in to my response, and most of the time they finish the order anyway.Its entertaining to me.
Sonniku

Aug 1, 2008, 12:33 PM
Custy: "If you can't give me what i want, i'm going to (insert random carrier here)"

Me: "I wish you the best of luck over there. Will you be needing directions to (random carrier)?"

Custy: " ๐Ÿ˜ฒ "
Asprinttech

Aug 1, 2008, 4:15 PM
or you lay the price down on them and they say "it hasn't worked in (insert random number) of months." or the ever new popular one around here "you know I've not been happy with (insert random carrier) for a really long time."

meh eyes glaze over and it is now a canned "Wow! I'm sorry I do not deal with that issue, you would have to speak to customer care or one of the very helpful sales reps."
Phantom1359

Aug 1, 2008, 9:06 PM
The reality is this. When they say "well i'll take my business elsewhere" it's a cry to make them an offer they can't refuse. It's the same as going to a dealership and saying "well I can get a better deal down the street." A customer that is really going to go to another carrier is going to do just that...not putz around and try to play the sympathy card. That's how you know they've had enough...if they just do it. If they talk about it, then they are just talk.
Sonniku

Aug 2, 2008, 9:04 AM
Phantom1359 said:
The reality is this. When they say "well i'll take my business elsewhere" it's a cry to make them an offer they can't refuse. It's the same as going to a dealership and saying "well I can get a better deal down the street." A customer that is really going to go to another carrier is going to do just that...not putz around and try to play the sympathy card. That's how you know they've had enough...if they just do it. If they talk about it, then they are just talk.

exactly...
Fear The Cubans

Aug 2, 2008, 10:12 AM
The customer just doesn't realize that there is a retentions department for that exact "i'm going somewhere else" line. They need to pull that card with them. I'm a frontline store rep, and I don't lose money if they leave. But I do not get paid if I discount a phone and keep them with the company either.
Pious Goddess

Aug 2, 2008, 12:14 PM
Ha, our retentions dept is our last resource.
hereticcavi

Aug 4, 2008, 10:33 AM
my favorite is "this service sucks, i had xyz carrier and they had awesome coverage and awesome phones" I usually go "why'd you switch"
Nikoletta

Aug 4, 2008, 4:23 PM
Generally I just think it's pathetic. It's a stupid response and as some of you have said, they don't actually mean it... if they really intended to switch it would already be done.

I don't even have account access so I can't cancel service, when they throw that line out I simply get to say "Well, if you'd like to shut down your service you'll need to speak with Customer Care, would you like me to transfer you?"

They threaten to cancel if we don't waive the activation on new lines, don't give them a free Wing, don't exchange the free T 429 for a Blackberry Pearl at no additional charge because they don't like the slider and feel the Pearl will have "the features I need." or want a Curve for free because the free Nokia 2610 wasn't work...
(continues)
dustin.gery

Aug 5, 2008, 1:49 PM
When a customer says that, it usually means there out of options.....they broke there phone, dont have insurance, dont wanna add a line ๐Ÿ™‚ and dont wanna pay full retail....so they will screw there credit up by not paying the bill and go to another carrier where it will prolly happen again....those customers are hopeless, and are just brushed off in my book
Dr. Ragnarok

Aug 7, 2008, 6:57 PM
Working at the escalations desk, I've grown very fond of the customer who threatens:

"I'll just cancel my account if you won't credit my valid charges then!!!"

Me: "$175 ETF per line under contract, would you like that effective NOW or at the end of this bill cycle?"

Cust: ๐Ÿ˜• "Uh, wait, no!"

Yeah. Don't bluff me.
sweetsprintrep

Aug 8, 2008, 8:11 AM
yah..ive been constantly experiencing that kind of calls..im working at sprint telesales and mostly customers that are not eligible to upgrade and want to have the phone at the lowest price are the one that are threatening to cancel, and mostly they are the one who has bad credit score and credit history..well..sometimes i feel sorry for them but i cannot do anything about them or else i will lose my job...

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.