Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 28 replies

The Religous Question

Tmo Slave

Jul 14, 2008, 3:08 PM
How do you deal with it? I just had a guy in here who was paying his bill and asked if I would like a bible and if I have found Jesus. I politely told him that I couldn't except his bible. It annoys the hell out of me when people do that. If you tell them that you are not Christian then they start trying to convert you. People just need to take care of their **** and get out of the store. I'm not there for you to try and convert because you think I'm a heathen.
60dollarcarcharger

Jul 14, 2008, 3:09 PM
just tell him this isn't the place for such talk
the voice of your God

Jul 14, 2008, 3:25 PM
"no soliciting"
ralph_on_me

Jul 14, 2008, 3:32 PM
My real name is an old Hebrew name. A few people recognize this name as biblical, and then make the mistake of assuming that it's a christian name. I'm an atheist, but I've served my time in seminary, so when they run off on their tangent I'm able to keep up and even offer tidbits of their mythos to feed their fervor. Then when they're closing up their speech they usually throw in something about how, "I just knew you were a good Christian." That's when I throw out, "I'm actually jewish, I converted during seminary."

I'm not Jewish, but it really shuts them up and puts a big fat doubt in their hearts that they may never recover from.
Johanisu19

Jul 16, 2008, 7:10 PM
Thats funny its the same thing that I have done in the past and I am a non practicing jewish german. They get all mad but leave me alone
Kamui

Jul 16, 2008, 7:21 PM
It is certainly entertaining to watch them shut up so quickly isn't it?
BigShowJB

Jul 19, 2008, 12:00 PM
it's more fun to have them fumble to answer for a minute but then realize they should probably shut up
learninghome

Jul 14, 2008, 3:38 PM
Usually I just get a bunch of "God bless you"s and things of that nature. No one comes online to convert online sales people, I suppose. I'm used to hearing the routine, though. I'm a Pagan, which usually I'm the one getting the 👀 looks.

I get it from coworkers more often than customers.
caca

Jul 14, 2008, 5:50 PM
👀
learninghome

Jul 14, 2008, 5:59 PM
đŸ¤Ŗ
learninghome

Jul 14, 2008, 9:09 PM
Additional note: Coworker stopped by and saw me absentmindedly shuffling my flashcards (I'm learning French in my downtime at work - quite successfully, I might add!). Jokingly, he asked if they were Tarot cards and that he wanted his future told. I told him that he should get a Magic 8 Ball, he laughed and said it always lies, and he left without my admitting that I really did have Tarot cards in my purse.

😎
cellfiend

Jul 15, 2008, 11:02 AM
You should have told him to go buy his own deck and have his own subjective reading. Not like it requires magical powers to be vague and ominous. No, just 15 dollars at borders.
metalsmokearsenal

Jul 14, 2008, 9:40 PM
its weird, i work at a call center and someone here got fired because the customer said "god bless you" and the agent said " you too"..
learninghome

Jul 14, 2008, 10:19 PM
That happens here all the time. As long as they say it first, then we don't catch any hell for it. I don't think I've known an agent to say it to a customer, though, so 🙄 don't know if they'd say anything about it anyway.
Lateralus55

Jul 15, 2008, 10:08 AM
Had a guy at work wear a shirt that said The devil is my f-ng copilot. Uncensored.
cellfiend

Jul 15, 2008, 11:03 AM
You guys get to wear kewl **** at work ☚ī¸
sugarandcyanide

Jul 15, 2008, 9:47 PM
lol really? once when i was messing around with my fortune cards the janitors were discussing in spanish it being evil. but usually i get people being like "ooo read my cards for me!" and then i'm like -_- because everyone wants me to do it.

i usually don't take them out unless i'm with my usual co-workers who i don't mind asking me for a reading lol.

♥ Cy
tiny

Jul 16, 2008, 5:41 PM
i think your cards lied to me ☚ī¸
learninghome

Jul 16, 2008, 7:35 PM
I usually don't read for other people. Most don't have the depth to appreciate it because they've been led to believe I'm going to tell them something like "You're going to marry a man who lives in a white house" or "don't play the lottery next Thursday". 🙄

Most people just assume I'll do it. Like I'm a Pagan vending machine.
Merula

Jul 16, 2008, 9:27 PM
Most people just want to hear something interesting when it comes to that. When you give someone some actual insight they couldn't care less. Pointless to read someone if they are not willing to look within themselves.
sugarandcyanide

Jul 18, 2008, 10:06 PM
lmao

pagan vending maching

that's a good way to explain it

tell them to call one of those lame phone psychics 😛

♥ Cy
Lateralus55

Jul 14, 2008, 5:10 PM
Tell them your God is better than theirs and you will pray for them. đŸ¤Ŗ
Deadeye-Jim

Jul 14, 2008, 8:41 PM
Does anyone else see a lot of accounts with passwords like "Jesus" or "Jesussaves" or somesuch? Do people really think that throwing the name of a deity onto their personal info actually protects them from identity theft?

Seriously, if someone is really out to get you and they find out you're really religious, a password like that might be a good place to start....
OfAMightDivine

Jul 14, 2008, 10:58 PM
It's not that they want to be safe. It's just that they want OTHER people to know they're a believer. That's the name of the game.
cellfiend

Jul 15, 2008, 10:59 AM
If they are not buying anything play devil's advocate and argue their religious beliefs. Do not use a counter religion, merely argue based on scientific knowledge and what is scientifically viable.
cellfiend

Jul 15, 2008, 10:59 AM
Sorry, I like to argue.
cellfiend

Jul 15, 2008, 11:00 AM
Another approach is to tell him Jesus talks to you personally and make him jealous. His hatered will fill you with delight and splendor.
UOQuack

Jul 15, 2008, 4:22 PM
I get this all the time.

I have one crusty old customer who is convinced that the Roman Catholic church is satanic and will be controlled by the anti-christ. I wanted to close that conversation by telling him I'm catholic (I'm not), but he's a regular, and I didnt want to lose the business.

I've had others try to convert me, and when they discover I'm already one of them, they either think I will give them a good deal, or they will start ripping on those "poor non-believers".

Mostly I just try to humor them, but sometimes I have to try to change the subject. It's so unprofessional, bordering on rude, to conduct that kind of conversation in the workplace with someone you dont even know. Drives me crazy, because I am a Christian,...
(continues)
dualitycomplex

Jul 15, 2008, 9:36 PM
i state religion and politics are left outside the door, if you want to talk about that go to your private meetings, it is not welcome in my store, this is a proffessional enviroment not a place to parade your personal beliefs.

if they press the matter i tell them i worship satan in the bathroom on my lunch breaks.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.