Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 16 replies

whoever created "free" phones needs...

dalily21

Jun 14, 2008, 11:15 PM
to be shot. i hate when you tell a customer about theis upgrade eligibility because the first words that come out of their mouth are "free phone?" then they complain a few months down the road that the free phone is cheap. well what do you expect for free. or better yet, i didnt get insurance because i got a free phone when it was lost/stolen
sammish

Jun 15, 2008, 5:48 PM
just wanna scream when that happens?? grr. lol
kapwww

Jun 15, 2008, 10:12 PM
Well they should be free, right? You make me sign a contract! You can't expect me to pay for service I can't use! Besides that, I can get a cordless phone at walmart for $20.00 without any contract, so they can't be that much to replace if I give one to my ba$tard kid who goes and throws it in the lake, drops it in a bucket of bong water, or gets so stoned they forget they even have a phone and it gets left it in the middle of a field. Besides, they're half the size of a cordless phone so they should be half the price, which is free, right? Oh...and if he loses it, you can use that fancy GSP stuff to just find and and send the cops to get it, right? Well, I don't want to sign a 2-year contracts ever again because the phones are junk an...
(continues)
cc

Jun 17, 2008, 7:46 PM
*sigh* Had that happen today. Cust came in with phone not working well. Saw that there was water damaged, cust even admitted it prob got wet where he works.
So he wants it replaced under warrenty, explain that its not covered and he has no insurance. So he needs to buy a new phone. He says well I got this one for like $20 bucks. Tell him it will be about $200 now. So of course: "I'm going to cancel. There is no point in me paying all this money if the stupid thing isn't going to last more then a year!"
Told him that electronics don't do well if water damaged, he looked offended and walked out. 😕
kapwww

Jun 17, 2008, 7:59 PM
Yeah...they just don't get it. I blame it on reps who don't explain the real value of what it costs and what it would cost with no insurance. All of my customers who reject insurance know the cost of replacement if they break it.

When people give me the "they just don't last" line, I usually explain that they will last much longer than two years if they are not abused, wet, etc. Most people say "Well, I'm rough on the phone" to which I usually reply "Well, they are an expensive piece of electronic equipment. They should be treated as such. Don't throw it around, use it near water, or leave it lying around on the floor of the car/where the dog can chew it, etc and you won't have those problems."

I will sometimes tell them how I h...
(continues)
uscellularguy1

Jun 15, 2008, 10:30 PM
well what I like is dislike about some of the phones we offer are that we add the tagline sign up for easyedge and get a rebate. I like the fact it sell the product(easyedge) but it makes it where the customer has to purchase a product to get a free phone. We offer free lg 145's right now they are ok phone if you dont use them for anything else but voice service.
cconnectderek

Jun 16, 2008, 5:18 PM
Well, you'll feel better when that person comes in with their broken "free" phone that they didn't get insurance on expecting to get another one for free, then you get to tell them its actually a $200 dollar phone.
mellowlen62

Jun 16, 2008, 6:27 PM
I'm not an employee and I don't buy the "free" phones, but I gotta tell you none of the "free" ones look like they're worth $200.00 despite what they retail for without a contract...
attwork

Jun 16, 2008, 6:33 PM
Yeah, some of those phones shouldnt sell for more than $75 at the most....
OfAMightDivine

Jun 16, 2008, 10:35 PM
Well, since you're not an employee, please do not post in here.
Abu_dude

Jun 18, 2008, 1:35 PM
It doesn't matter what the phone "loos like" or even how much it costs. The idea behind high retail prices is to dicourage the purchase of phones at retail price. I dont know about everyone else but we dont make money off the phones alone. Plus, it makes the contract prices look better when theres hundreds of dollars difference.
attwork

Jun 18, 2008, 1:57 PM
Thats the exact kind of response that would piss off a customer.
liquidfire

Jun 18, 2008, 3:13 PM
i thought that the high retail prices were because thats about what the phones actually cost......guess im just a moron tho 🙄

the phones must really only be $100-$200 each and we just jack up the retail cost to make more money and get more contracts on cheaper phones that are subsidized right?
dalily21

Jun 18, 2008, 10:28 PM
no, wireless carriers buy phones at the full retail price from manufacturers and re sell them at a lower price depending on the contract term selected. the wireless carrier gets the money back in the 1 or 2 year period the customer pays their bills
phonemechanic

Jun 18, 2008, 11:37 PM
c'mon now. you're being naive. think about how many phones the carriers buy from the manufacturers. there's no way they're paying anywhere close to what you or i could buy one for
caca

Jun 18, 2008, 3:08 PM
Do you explain the upgrade program to your customers?

or are your coworkers taking all the smart ones?

Shouldnt let em pick on u like that ...shame on them
dalily21

Jun 18, 2008, 10:24 PM
i work in cs. but anytime i mention that they are eligible for an upgrade they always ask if its a free phone. i explain the phone pricing and rebates and let them know all their options. the store, thru me and the website and their pros and cons. now 6 months down the road they call in wanting an upgrade to the most expensive phone out there cuz their current phone is a pos cuz it was free. i know other areas of a wireless carrier experience this and was just expressing how a lot of people want something for free

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.