Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 17 replies

What's the proper response here?

ralph_on_me

Apr 16, 2008, 1:00 PM
Statement: We have 1 gigabyte and 2 gigabyte memory cards.

Question: How much will that hold?

This is akin to the question, "How far away is that?" After telling someone the gas station is a mile down the road.

Is it appropriate to respond to the first question with, "1,024 MB," or "1,048,576 KB." The response most customers seem to be looking for is something along the lines of, "250 songs..... assuming the songs are 4 minutes in length and encoded at 128 kbps in standard MP3 formatting."

I believe GB should be enough of a defining term, since it is a standard unit of measure. We don't break down how far a mile is into feet for someone without looking at them like a moron first, so why should we have to break down data storage ...
(continues)
pdajr

Apr 16, 2008, 1:21 PM
I have actually answered that question with the "1024 MB" answer. I got called a smart a$$ then he bought it with no more questions.
StarryNight

Apr 16, 2008, 1:30 PM
ralph_on_me said:

Cust: "How far is a mile?"

S: "That's about 5280 feet away...."

C: "No, I meant how many skips away is it. I feel like frolicing."

🤣 🤣 🤣 I don't even have a valid response to this post, but that is definitely the funniest thing I think I have heard in weeks. Wow. Nicely done! 🤣 🤣 🤣
liquidfire

Apr 16, 2008, 2:26 PM
ppl are stupid and most dont know what a gig is. i just tell them enough. cuz really, how much music do you NEED on your phone. if enough isnt a good enough answer for them then i get real techy and make them feel stupid like they are
tick

Apr 16, 2008, 2:41 PM
ralph_on_me said:
Statement: Is it appropriate to respond to the first question with, "1,024 MB," or "1,048,576 KB." The response most customers seem to be looking for is something along the lines of, "250 songs..... assuming the songs are 4 minutes in length and encoded at 128 kbps in standard MP3 formatting."

Yes damn-it yes! It is appropriate to respond with "1,024 MB," or "1,048,576 KB." You must become a smart-ass to these motherfvckers who expect us to educate them on everything, instead of educating themselves. Why do you think Al Gore invented the internet?
(continues)
charliegirl

Apr 16, 2008, 2:55 PM
ralph_on_me said:

Cust: "How far is a mile?"

S: "That's about 5280 feet away...."

C: "No, I meant how many skips away is it. I feel like frolicing."

🤣 🤣 🤣

I know it's hard to explain those things to people especially when you consider it common sense. Since I deal with deliveries I get the following:

Me: "Is that UPS or pick up?"

Customer: "no, FedEx"

Me: 🙄 "umm we use UPS, do you want delivery?"

-or-

Me: "Ok, that will be COD, ok?"

Customer: "No I'll pay buy check"
ac4321

Apr 16, 2008, 4:49 PM
It's an understandable question for people with little or no experience with computers, mp3 players, digital cameras, etc. I just say about 500- 1000 pictures or 150- 250 songs or a combination of those.

That's usually enough to get them thinking in real terms instead of the abstract gB/mB/kB that they've seldom come across before.
persistentchaos

Apr 16, 2008, 6:05 PM
I know that people with no computers mp3 players and such have the right to know but seriously if you don't know what a gigabyte is you probably don't need to. Do you think these people are actually going to load up their phone with music. They don't even know how to use their phone book.

I get these people all the time that are suprised that there is a calender in their phone and then want me to educate them on how to use all the advanced features like MP3 and bluetooth. I actually had a customer bring me a CD once and have me put the music on their phone for them. I actually preferred this as I can do it in a few minutes where explaining how to get their itunes songs into MP3 format so that they can then move them is stupid and w...
(continues)
liquidfire

Apr 16, 2008, 6:17 PM
you just now figured that out?
ihateeverything

Apr 19, 2008, 8:02 PM
Sometimes you get the guy who thinks he knows more than the sales rep. **** I hate them and they're usually wrong about things. But I pretend like theyre smart about technology they read about on wired.com one time.
ralph_on_me

Apr 16, 2008, 7:46 PM
My problem with that is the 500- 1000 pictures or 150- 250 songs is more abstract than the physical amount of storage. Songs vary in length, bitrate, and quality. Pictures vary in size not just according to resolution but also quality and content. Telling them anything in regard to a quantity would be too near a lie, and that's not the way I do things.

Just like how I expect a cook to know how much a cup is, I expect a certain bit of literacy in dealing with these things. If they don't know, they shouldn't even mess with it.

How many shoes can I fit in this box?

That depends on how big your FEET are!
ac4321

Apr 17, 2008, 9:56 AM
You expect a *cook* to know how much it is, but maybe not the diner. We're the cooks, wireless customers are the diners. You'd expect even less knowledge from the diner if the unit of measure has only existed for a few decades and a fraction of that in mainstream consumer products.

You're forgetting just how recent it is that these things have been mainstream. Of course you can't cover every scenario, that's why you say, "an average of..." That's enough to give the customer a basic grasp of the concept.
ralph_on_me

Apr 19, 2008, 4:36 PM
I'm the supplier of kitchenware. The cook is the one doing the action. If I was the cook they'd be paying me for service every time I transferred their files, and I'd expect a tip. Furthermore, even if I was the cook and they were the patron, I would expect them to know units of measure. An 8 oz. Steak. A pint of beer. A dash of nutmeg. If they patron doesn't know those measurements that's fine, but don't ask me to explain. If you do, I'll say "Your steak is this big" and hold up my hands. We learn these words to function better as a society. It's the very reason mankind developed spoken languages.
M15TER P1NK

Apr 17, 2008, 9:03 AM
Proper response?

"Go die in a fire"
Q_Q_Q

Apr 17, 2008, 9:49 AM
such violence... 😁
VZWMT123

Apr 17, 2008, 10:06 AM
512 MB 250 songs
1 GB 500 songs
2 GB 1000 songs
4 GB 2000 songs
8 GB 4000 songs

this is based on 4 min. songs at about 64 Kpbs downloaded to your phone over the air Synced music files may require more memory
golem22

Apr 18, 2008, 12:59 PM
Unless the person is 90 years old they have no excuse to not understand what a GB is... No realy computers are a signifigant part of our society now so not knowing this is akin to not knowing basic math or spelling.

That being the case i would just tell them that 1gb is enough storage for 100 or more songs (better to error on the side of caution)
ihateeverything

Apr 19, 2008, 7:59 PM
Yeah... I ****ing hate that question. Understanding that 1 gig is 1024 megabytes isn't enough. They need to know how many songs. Well..how should I know what size each mp3 is? I can only guesstimate. I have some mp3s that are 2 megabytes and some that are over 10. And that's just mp3s. There's other formats available and varying bitrates which will drasticly change the size. *sigh* bitches

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.