Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 33 replies

Yes, I need your ID, and no, it's not just for the heck of it.

StarryNight

Mar 27, 2008, 5:19 PM
It chaps my a$$ when customers get all uppity about needing their ID to run a check. I need it FOR YOUR PROTECTION. I'm willing to bet that if some random person found your checkbook and decided to use it, you'd be livid if I DIDN'T ask for their ID, right? Right. So calm your stupid face, and just give me your ID. How hard is that? This interaction just happened:

M: Welcome to Sprint, how can I help you today?

C: I need to pay a bill. The number is bla bla bla...

M: Okay, now all I need is an ID to run the check.

C: What? I pay my bill here all the time and I've never needed an ID before.

M: We all ask for ID whenever we run a check because the physical machine we use asks for the ID number.

C: Well the other girl helped ...
(continues)
I AM GOD

Mar 27, 2008, 5:23 PM
I find it's usually the people with horrible credit that could care less if their identity gets stolen....
DarkStar

Mar 27, 2008, 5:26 PM
Wait a minute. You need an ID to pay a bill? The bank doesn't even card you when you make a deposit. At RadioShack when you make a payment they don't ask for ID. But if the customer wanted to know their balance or get any information about the account then the ID should be checked. But to give someone money shouldn't require an ID. To take money out most certainly does.
Seribus

Mar 27, 2008, 5:28 PM
its for identity fraud, the banks want to knowif we are checking so the stuff they give us when you run the check it says please swip ID
liquidfire

Mar 28, 2008, 10:06 AM
its to make sure the check is legit. its like asking for ID at the store when you use an unsigned credit card. its to make sure that the check you are using is yours. i'm sure if they paid the bill with cash, they wouldnt need an ID. again, the ID isnt needed to take money, but needed to verify identity since a check is being used. practically anywhere you go and use a check they will ask for your ID
I AM GOD

Mar 27, 2008, 5:30 PM
How about I steal your wallet and pay my bills with your cash and credit cards?
DarkStar

Mar 27, 2008, 5:32 PM
You even check ID for cash. How do you prove that its your cash? That makes no sense. But I get it now. She was running a check. Thats different.
I AM GOD

Mar 27, 2008, 6:05 PM
๐Ÿคญ

I would tell them it's stolen cash and I have to hold it as evidence..... ๐Ÿคฃ
StarryNight

Mar 27, 2008, 5:34 PM
I'm not even getting into the validity of the arguement for ID before we give account info. That's a whole 'nother battle.

What irritates me is that this woman was making a payment, and I asked for her ID to verify that the check she was handing me was her check. Because in theory, she could have picked up Jane Doe's checkbook and pretended to be her. Asking for the ID eliminates that possibility. I didn't ask for her ID before I'd allow her to make a payment. If she had been paying cash, the ID would have been a non-issue. I only needed it because she was paying with a check.
StarryNight

Mar 27, 2008, 5:36 PM
Sorry, that last post wasn't there before I continued ranting.

I almost (ALMOST) feel bad for customers who want to know simple stuff on the account, but I can't tell them if they're not the account holder with the PIN or ID, but COME ON. If you've been living in this country and writing checks, you've been asked before. Don't act like I have three heads. Frick.
DarkStar

Mar 27, 2008, 5:57 PM
No you are so right. I have never heard of anybody not having their ID chequed. Why was custie even using a cheque anymore.
DarkStar

Mar 27, 2008, 5:55 PM
yeah. Sorry I didn't pick up the whole cheque thing the first time I read your post. You are 100% correct.
BigShowJB

Mar 27, 2008, 6:04 PM
DarkStar said:
cheque
???

i think you mean check
๐Ÿ‘ฟ

damn canuck..... ๐Ÿ‘ฟ ๐Ÿ˜ j/k
DarkStar

Mar 27, 2008, 5:34 PM
nope sorry. I didn't get the cheque part. Yes you must check ID for cheques. You are 100% right and the customer is an idiot. What is interesting though is that we don't need to check ID for taking Cheque payments for our RadioShack credit cards. But all the time the name on the card matches the name on the cheque.
BigShowJB

Mar 27, 2008, 6:02 PM
It sounds like she was paying by check. if it were a cash/Pre-Cash payment, then no ID necessary. Credit card payments automatically check the service address against the credit card address.
Seribus

Mar 27, 2008, 5:26 PM
Well dont worry custies do that also in my store....some lady just tried to give us a check with her info ripped off and almost lost it when we wouldnt take it...n then we asked for ID....lol
BigShowJB

you mean with the checking account holders info.... ๐Ÿคจ
Seribus

ya
OfAMightDivine

Mar 27, 2008, 6:11 PM
I love it when a custie tries to make up things and gets caught, and even after they get caught, they keep trying. That's determination!
Seribus

Mar 27, 2008, 6:11 PM
๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ
SoCalVDub

Mar 28, 2008, 10:43 AM
"Chaps my a$$" ... ROFL ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿคฃ
StarryNight

Mar 28, 2008, 10:55 AM
I gotta tell you, I abuse that phrase because I get a kick out of it every time. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

VDub, huh? What kind of VDub? I'm a die hard dub girl, myself. ๐Ÿ˜
SoCalVDub

Mar 28, 2008, 1:17 PM
Thats awesome ... have never heard it before but its def most ammusing, lol.

Yerp (ive come to the conclusion that the "electronic gremlins" are just a part of me now, lol). This is my 3rd go round with a GTI 20th anniversary (but dont get me wrong i really miss my R ๐Ÿ˜ข ). And your self ??? Patiently waiting for Waterfest ๐Ÿ˜Ž . Where are you located ???
StarryNight

Mar 28, 2008, 1:45 PM
I'm in Vermont, which means if I wanna catch a VW show, I've got some driving to do.

I have an 01 Golf, which I love (her name is Lola). I've had it for three and a half years, and it will be paid off in about six months. Once it's paid off, I plan on buying a beater car, taking Lola off the road and building myself a 2.0L Turbo, throwing a GTI (R32 if I can find it..) lip kit on it, some nice 18's and bagging it out. Once all that's done, I'm gonna get a nice shiny Robin's Egg blue paint job, and after that's done you might see me at some shows, travel or no.

I L-O-V-E the 20th edition. Those 20 spokes (right?), in my opinion, are the PERFECT rims for that car. I would almost consider buying a new GTI, 'cause the 2.0L Turbo with the...
(continues)
SoCalVDub

Mar 28, 2008, 2:25 PM
WOW. Talk about being thrown back ๐Ÿ˜‰ . You know your stuff and that project for Lola seems pretty epic (would love to see her if/when she gets done ๐Ÿ˜Ž ). I just moved to Jersey (about 5 min from NYC) from San Diego about 4 months ago so its def been different climates for "Pearl" (i actually had to buy snow tires for the first time ever) ... Up North def has some shows i know in the Manchester area of NH if im correct. VT ... bbbrrrrr ... my brother lives in South Burlington and when i visited him for his bday (valentines day) it was like -4 at night. Anyways yea the new body style hasnt sat right ๐Ÿ‘ฟ just went to the New York Auto show and was a little disappointed not seeing anything great on the VW side (but Audi def blew me aw...
(continues)
StarryNight

Mar 28, 2008, 2:37 PM
I'll keep you posted. I plan on posting a project thread on VWVortex with photos and the whole 9.

What color is Pearl? Don't worry much about the snow (not that you'll really HAVE to in NJ). The dubs seem to enjoy snow just as much as they do dry pavement. Must have something to do with that German heritage...I'm running Lola with all-seasons, and I've found that the BF Goodrich All Terrian TA's are FANTABULOUS, not to mention a good chunk cheaper than snows.

A buddy of mine just bought a bagged S10, and we're gonna go to Magnetic Mini's in CT and possibly another show in PA this year. I cannot WAIT to start hitting up some Volkswagen shows, but I gotta have something worth showing first ๐Ÿ˜

The new body style is at least DECENT ...
(continues)
StarryNight

Mar 28, 2008, 2:38 PM
I lied, they're BF Goodrich Traction T/A's. That's what I get for thinking faster than I type ๐Ÿ™‚

And I'm actually only ten minutes away from South Burlington, so you were right around the corner. And be thankful it was only cold: last year on V-Day we got 48 inches of SNOW!
SoCalVDub

Mar 28, 2008, 2:57 PM
Believe it or not i was actually there for that (i try to make a point to visit him once a year so when i go for his birthday its two birds with one stone). I got up there RIGHT after that hit and was greeted with "glad you came up ... now heres a shovel and dig out a parking spot." haHA, epic boarding conditions that year though.

Pearl is blacked out or "murdered out" as ive heard lately on the east coast (minus her summer "shoes" although im really contimplating on powder coating those this season after seeing her with the black steelies ๐Ÿคจ ) argh, i feel the itch coming back ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
OfAMightDivine

Mar 28, 2008, 3:26 PM
Just 48 inches? I'm in NY and last Valentines we got 6 1/2 feet of snow. Be lucky =P. My uncle lives in Burlington. We go up there from time to time and go up to the Market. I love it up there. Apple orchards aplenty and tons of Willow trees. VT is a gorgeous place to live. The Magic Hat brewery is awesome. I want to also go to the Ben & Jerry's up there (Mmmm Phish Food...)

Not to mention the Lindt store up there in the Market. ๐Ÿคค ๐Ÿคค ๐Ÿคค ๐Ÿคค ๐Ÿคค
StarryNight

Mar 28, 2008, 3:55 PM
Mmm, Ben & Jerry's....we actually offer them a discount, and me and another rep went down to the factory to drop off flyers and they gave us 5 free pints! Score!

There is no question that VT is gorgeous. I absolutely love it. Winter gets a little old, especially when you consider that it's officially SPRING and there are four inches of snow on the ground today. But all in all, it rocks.

What's your favorite Magic Hat brew?
OfAMightDivine

Mar 28, 2008, 4:15 PM
To be fair, I've only had Jinx and Single Chair Ale. It was also a looong time since I was there. Most of the places here only sell #9, Circus Boy, and Lucky Kat.
princessn1984

Mar 28, 2008, 2:42 PM
I had a Custy who didn't want to give us her Social Security Number. (We don't check creidt, but use it to verify who a person is when they change their address or start service.) She thought we were going to steal it. She didn't want to show us her ID or anything. She thought we were going to steal it or something. Then, when she finally agreed to give me her social (I always ask them to write it down so they don't have to say it out loud and then give them the paper back), she said she didn't want to write it on receipt tape, it HAD to be on a post it, and not a regular size post it, a small one. ๐Ÿ™„
fyredawg

Mar 28, 2008, 2:45 PM
I don't push for that kind of thing. I ask once, and if they don't want to give it, I let them know I can run without the SSN, but I'll definitely need a second form of ID, and it will be probable that they will get a higher deposit than if they supplied the SSN. Most of the time, they give it at that point, and if not, I don't feel bad because I told them waht to expect.
princessn1984

Mar 28, 2008, 2:54 PM
We don't have deposits and such, they buy the phone outright. I can run with a driver's license number but she didn't want to let me see that either, plus, in the long run, its easier for them if the social is on the account (only the last 4 digits display) so when they call customer care, they can give the last 4 of the social because if you do it by DL number, they don't always display right.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.