Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 15 replies

Returns/Loaners

nuckingfuts

Oct 23, 2007, 12:20 PM
So, I told a cuustomer that I cant sell her a phone because she made it very clear that she wasn't going to keep it, that she was going to return it as soon as her insurance replacement arrived

Was that wrong?
ralph_on_me

Oct 23, 2007, 12:21 PM
I would've sold it to her. We charge a restocking fee on returns.
nuckingfuts

Oct 23, 2007, 12:39 PM
We dont.... and I wanted to save the phone for a real customer
gozvzw

Oct 23, 2007, 12:40 PM
I would have had a REALLY hard time selling her that phone knowing she was going to return it and we have a restocking fee but it's only $25. I don't think you were wrong but your store needs a restocking fee for sure.
ralph_on_me

Oct 23, 2007, 1:19 PM
Oh, I wouldn't let them pick the phone.

If they said it was only until their insurance replacement arrived, I'd pick out our oldest, cheap phone so I can DOA it when they return it and charge them the restocking fee. If I had limited supply of a phone, they definitely wouldn't get that model.
d3ity

Oct 23, 2007, 6:05 PM
You could have charged one yourself.

just add up the comission you would have made if the sale stuck.. then figure out what percentage of the total that is. if the customer acts suprised and asks where 23.857% (or whatever it is) came from. Explain it to them.
poweredup

Oct 23, 2007, 2:06 PM
nope not wrong at all.
cuckingcrazy

Oct 23, 2007, 2:20 PM
Just tell her to go buy a go phone and use that. Its cheaper and she can return it back to wally world.
ralph_on_me

Oct 23, 2007, 2:34 PM
Or, you can stop promoting prepaid fraud.

I swear, I'm the only @ssf**ker who does their job around here.
nization

Oct 23, 2007, 3:10 PM
Well you are making a difference just to let you know. You replied to one of my post in about the same way as this one and I have stopped "promoting prepaid fraud" I never did do it in the store anyway but if people asked in places like this, I would.

as far as what this post is actually about I instituted a rental fee for this reason. If someone wants a loaner phone to later return I charge anywhere from $25-$50 depending on the phone. (of course they pay full price up front and HAVE to return EVERYTHING in the same shape it was when it left.)
ralph_on_me

Oct 23, 2007, 3:16 PM
Our restocking fees are 15% with a max of $25, but we also charge for incomplete returns of $25 per item. No box? $25. No instructions? $25. Lost the charger? $25. So basically is someone bought a phone, and then returned only the phone they'd be paying $100 in restocking and incomplete return fees.
d3ity

Oct 23, 2007, 6:15 PM
what the **** is prepaid fraud?

Oh, you mean fraud like John Q. Drugdealer coming in and activating a phone under the name of Bob Marley?

Dude, it's a prepaid phone. We know the people who use these things either have **** credit or are planning on getting rid of it and getting another one soon.

As far as activating prepaid phones on contracts? VZW won't let you, but when i was with AT&T, it honestly was a good option to be able to give customers. I get to sell a prepaid phone... and they get to not spend all thier money. yeah, they get a crappy prepaid handset, but it's an option.
ralph_on_me

Oct 23, 2007, 6:42 PM
prepaid fraud is taking a gophone and putting it onto postpaid service. It's against the terms of service and it will suspend the account as soon as they catch the IMEI on there.
rxymsft

Oct 23, 2007, 3:21 PM
when did everyone stop offering those? i haven't had a faulty phone for years, but i remember my carrier offering me a loaner the two times i did. i know stores hardly ever do that these days...why is that?
cremz

Oct 23, 2007, 3:26 PM
and it was such a pain in the arse to hold customers accountable for the non returned loaners. Plus, it was to costly trying to replace the loaner phones we lost.
ralph_on_me

Oct 23, 2007, 3:41 PM
We used customers old phones as loaners, but they stopped giving them to us. Whenever someone would upgrade and leave their old phone with us, it became a loaner phone. We'd even take broken phones and combine them with other broken phones to get one working model.

Now when customers upgrade they don't want to leave their old phones with us. No old phones = no loaners.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.