Home  ›  Forums  ›

Shop Talk

all discussions

show all 16 replies

promotions among the giants/stepchildren?

ajstrong

Jul 12, 2007, 8:52 AM
just wondering; custies have been asking about free activation crap. is AT&T doing that?

and no, I don't care WHAT Alltel is doing. just nation-wide carriers.
Hombre07

Jul 12, 2007, 9:15 AM
We had mail in rebates for them last month. And National Retailers have random days of free activation.
ralph_on_me

Jul 12, 2007, 9:40 AM
My market has had free activation on PDAs for the past two weeks, but only for agents.
dilligaff1

Jul 12, 2007, 9:41 AM
Check again. Alltel IS nation wide, if fact they have the largest network of all INCLUDING AT&T/Cing. Check it !!
ralph_on_me

Jul 12, 2007, 9:41 AM
Oh god... please stop talking.
ajstrong

Jul 12, 2007, 10:12 AM
check it, dill...

where in IL can I get an Alltel phone? aside from online... and if I have problems with my alltel phone, where would I take it, if I don't want to travel a few hours?

check again, troll.
krickt

Jul 12, 2007, 10:46 AM
It's still a Regional Carrier. Not a national chain.

Then again, I don't understand the rules on that, we can't get Verizon or ATT in our area, and they are considered National.

That doesn't change the fact that Alltel is not a national carrier, but a regional one.
BigShowJB

Jul 12, 2007, 11:12 AM
check yourself again .... even Phonescoop is callling you a regional carier....this is a copy/paste from the carriers section

Alltel is a large regional CDMA carrier offering service in 33 states, primarily in the south, midwest, and west. In 2005, the company acquired Western Wireless, a smaller carrier that operated under the Cellular One brand with service in 19 western states.

Coverage Area: Southeast and Midwest
😳

🤭
Talkabout-Allen

Jul 12, 2007, 11:45 AM
Alltel is a REGIONAL carrier with the largest nation wide calling area. Alltel has more service in more places than any other carrier in the nation. It does help having roaming agreements with Verizon and Sprint. Cingular has the most people, Sprint has stronger data, Verizon has the best phones (CDMA), Alltel has americas largest calling area.
ajstrong

Jul 12, 2007, 11:51 AM
I still don't understand how it would benefit people in the other 17 states that Alltel DOESN'T service to grab the "best nation-wide network."

Who else has made that CLAIM (cing/at&t, VZ, etc)

and yes, it's a claim. marketing is one thing, service in my TOWN is another. I don't care how good their service is in my area, if I can't get/service/receive what I need where I live, Alltel is just as crappy as outsourced call centers.
Talkabout-Allen

Jul 12, 2007, 11:57 AM
Do you travel? Once again Alltel is a Regional Carrier. I live in Mississippi, but I know if I go to Virginia or Kentucky I will have service in these places. I have a Cing phone too, an Alltel beats them out 80% of the time. With Cingular you get full service or No service.
ajstrong

Jul 12, 2007, 1:21 PM
I do, infrequently. internet was down, sorry. I don't doubt that CDMA trashes GSM; not wanting to start a techie war, but then who am I kidding?

Alltel's not for me...

doesn't mean that it's not for others.
krickt

Jul 12, 2007, 2:11 PM
US Cellular's in Illinois, but then again, they are another Regional Carrier. But they have home area in Illinois (started out, up there.)
dilligaff1

Jul 12, 2007, 3:23 PM
Yes Alltel is regional. The reason I said National is they do have the largest service area in part because they use VZN towers when they need. Even in my own area they will pick up the VZN network.
ajstrong

Jul 12, 2007, 11:47 AM
I may just be a NWer in the wrong state, but I thought that Illinois was a mid-west state.

kinda strange that the vast majority of the state, including Chicago, was strangely out of the loop on this midwest carrier.
dilligaff1

Jul 12, 2007, 3:25 PM
See my reply to your last post. It may help clear it up.
T-Mob

Jul 17, 2007, 2:30 PM
What I will say is that Alltel is great at the whole marketing thing. Let's give people unlimited calling to ten people, then we will have ads that rip on all the bigger(more successful) carriers. Then after everybody has seen the ads and get's interested, TELL THEM NO. Alltel is still REGIONAL. Unless there has been news that I have missed, they are still FOR SALE! Every carrier has there place. Every carrier can use a different formula to calculate their biggest whatever! Alltel is not for everybody, in fact it isn't for more people than it is.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.