Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 22 replies

Moto Banner Ad - Hindering Site Use

captainplooky

Dec 13, 2005, 3:08 PM
Just wanted you to be aware that there is Moto ad that continues to consistently break free of the banner advertising space, consuming 6 to 7 inches of my available screen space (a pop up), and prevented me from being able to navigate the site via the left nav bar.

Often times the ad doesn't fully "materialize" until after you try to navigate the site and instead of being directed to where you selected, you are re-directed to a Moto ad page.

It's highly annoying and instead of clicking and clicking numerous times trying to navigate the site only to be taken to a Moto webpage I simply close my browser. I'm not gonna fight an advertisement to view the site.

I understand the need for advertising, however, the need for advertising shou...
(continues)
MIKE3222

Dec 13, 2005, 3:25 PM
i agree. this ad is horrible. if there were a close ad tab ot wouldn't be as bad, but having to wait for it to minimize to it's space again is highly annoying.
captainplooky

Dec 13, 2005, 3:28 PM
Yeah, only thing it has done for me is make me want to view this site less and curse any Moto advertisement I see anywhere.

It doens't even minimize all the time for me.
aloha

Dec 13, 2005, 3:32 PM
It's a pain.
Rich Brome

Dec 13, 2005, 3:36 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

I haven't seen the ad myself. How often do you see it? What region of the country are you in?

Those types of ads shouldn't be running. I'll try to find out where it's coming from and put a stop to it.
captainplooky

Dec 13, 2005, 3:53 PM
I'm located on the East Coast and am using the Firefox web browser.

It seems to occur fairly often during a day of normal Phonescooping. In fact, one Moto ad did it just as I came back here to check for any responses.

I have only seen the Moto ads do it, and at first I thought it was just a temporary thing, but after it continued to happen I finally decided to post.

The only thing is, I am not sure if it's one Moto ad, or multiple Moto ads. I have only observed Moto ads doing this so far though.
MIKE3222

Dec 13, 2005, 4:46 PM
i'm east coast as well, PA specifically. it's only moto ads, and i believe it's 2 seperate ones. i use IE at work and firefox or opera from home and it does it on all but opera. but i don't use the opera browser as much for this site so i may just not have seen it. but it happens maybe 2-3 times a day.
alejandro

Dec 14, 2005, 11:54 AM
i'm on the east coast, i have gotten it but i do not mind that much because i understand you gotta pay bills.
alejandro

Dec 14, 2005, 4:50 PM
well, now that dockit moto banner just gave me a pop-up ad sending me to broadband.motorola.com
captainplooky

Dec 14, 2005, 5:01 PM
🤣 Welcome to the club.

I understand the need for advertising too, but these ads seem to be of a nature that is inconsistent with the site. That is why I reported them.
Rich Brome

Dec 13, 2005, 3:50 PM
What is the ad for? There is more than one Motorola campaign running on the site right now...
captainplooky

Dec 13, 2005, 4:01 PM
I actually think it is multiple ads now. I have seen the "Moto Gift Guide" do it and just took a screenshot of another one I will try to post.

I have also seen one where there is some dude running across the screen in a Moto ad.

Here is a screenshot
http://members.cox.net/phonescooper/moto.jpg »
aloha

Dec 13, 2005, 4:23 PM
I see the Moto Docking station add quite frequently. I'm in Hawaii.
MIKE3222

Dec 13, 2005, 4:48 PM
those are the 2 i see. mostly the gift one.
captainplooky

Dec 13, 2005, 5:27 PM
http://members.cox.net/phonescooper/moto2.JPG »

This time there is acutally a "close ad" in the upper left, only thing is, when I clicked it, I was taken to another Moto webpage.
captainplooky

Dec 13, 2005, 6:46 PM
captainplooky

Dec 13, 2005, 8:57 PM
http://members.cox.net/phonescooper/moto5.JPG »

Here is a shot of the ad before the dude runs across the screen.

Wavelength Interactive is referenced on the right side of the ad.
captainplooky

Dec 14, 2005, 5:02 PM
Just curious 😁
Rich Brome

Dec 15, 2005, 2:54 AM
Thank you everyone for the feedback, and for the help!

I've gone over this with our ad company, and dealt with it. You shouldn't see any more of those ads for now.

It took a little time only because we weren't seeing the ads ourselves at first, and our ad company didn't consult with us before running the ads.

Interactive, expanding ads can be great for both users and advertisers, but only if done correctly. When done the wrong way, they are bad for users, publishers, and (in my mind) even for the advertisers.

If the ads only expand after you click or hover over the ad, that would be one thing, but that wasn't the case with some of these.

The ads you complained about were ads that automatically expanded and covered most of the ...
(continues)
G-rad

Dec 15, 2005, 10:41 AM
And thank you.
captainplooky

Dec 15, 2005, 12:27 PM
Thanks!
pete1660

Dec 16, 2005, 11:24 AM
I send my thanks as well. Those ads were a little intrusive and I respect the fact that you were so quick in dealing with the issue. Thanks for keeping up such a fine website. I enjoy spending my time here both utilizing the information on this site as well as posting on the forums. Keep up the great work!

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.