Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 11 replies

Question for Rich

Joben

Sep 22, 2010, 5:07 PM
I've noticed that the posts in the Lounge go back just over a year, but lower volume forums such as phonescoop.com have posts dating back to '03. My question is whether the posts are deleted based upon when they reach a certain date or when your servers reach a certain volume, do they automatically delete the posts? Does the rule vary from forum to forum?

I've only checked today so I don't yet know if the posts are regularly deleted based upon time.

Thanks,

Joben
Rich Brome

Sep 24, 2010, 10:38 AM
The Lounge forum is culled on a regular basis.

It's by far the largest forum, with enough messages to be a performance concern for our servers. So it's necessary to either delete or archive old messages somehow. Other forums are much smaller in total number of messages.

Many forums on this site contain some valuable information in years-old posts, that people may find genuinely useful to refer back to. However, the Lounge forum, by definition, is for less important discussion. Therefore we find it easiest to simply delete old messages in that forum.

I've been doing that for at least a year. The fact that no one noticed until now demonstrates that there's little interest and value in the messages being deleted.
ProdigyyX

Sep 24, 2010, 10:57 AM
I noticed, I just know that Longue posts are not important to you....like they were to me 😢
speedywalk

Sep 24, 2010, 6:18 PM
too.

Google can still find some of them in their archives...
Amarantamin

Sep 25, 2010, 10:03 PM
But, understanding how forums work, I didn't see the need to bother anybody with it...

Joben, however, gets a cookie for his insightful discovery.

😉
Joben

Sep 26, 2010, 2:14 PM
this is one of those times that I want a 'like' button, just like Facebook.
Joben

Sep 25, 2010, 12:33 PM
It makes sense. I mean there must be 1000+ posts per day on average in the lounge. I can definitely see how that could eat up space quickly and get costly.

BTW, Rich I apologize for all of those rude posts you've had to remove. I know I got my final warning so I'll be good now 😁 (this is one of those instances where I want an angel smiley with a halo just like BBM).

One question I do have, though, is whether you mind if we type out swear words. The system, as you obviously know, automatically asterisks the swear words out, but I still like to type them for emphasis. Is that not allowed?

Thanks!
Rich Brome

Sep 25, 2010, 1:51 PM
I'm afraid I do mind. If everyone can tell what profanity you're trying to say, that's no different than saying it. Please keep it clean.
Joben

Sep 25, 2010, 10:28 PM
Ok, I'll keep it PG. Really, I like this s/n so I don't want to lose it. That reminds me of yet another question, if (hypothetically speaking of course o🙂 ) my s/n were to be deleted by you, is that s/n no longer available for use even if registered with a different e-mail?

My motive is not deception, but mere curiosity. Trust me, regardless of your answer I will no longer act bad 😁
Rich Brome

Sep 26, 2010, 11:28 AM
We never actually "delete" accounts. They can only be de-activated, which means that exact screen name can not be used again.
Amarantamin

Sep 26, 2010, 1:20 PM
Job3n
J0ben
J0b3n

You've got at least three bannings before losing that name!
Joben

Sep 26, 2010, 2:10 PM
🤣 very true.......... 😈

JK Rich 😛

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.