Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 8 replies

Blackberry Forum/Platform Question...

llama

Dec 10, 2008, 8:51 AM
Since you have a WinMo Forum and an Android Forum down below on the front page, could you maybe move the Blackberry "platform" to the front page as well. I'm pretty sure there are more Blackberry users than ICQ users.

It would just make it more convenient than having to dig to get to it.
llama

Dec 10, 2008, 8:56 AM
llama said:
I'm pretty sure there are more Blackberry users than UIQ users.

sorry, fixed...
Guy Montag

Dec 10, 2008, 11:19 AM
Blackberry's os is exclusive to Blackberry. From a platform stand point it wouldn't make much sense in those categories any more than Samsung's native platform fits in. Of course the thing that makes Blackberry different is that other phones can use the Blackberry service if not the OS.

I'd say it makes sense where its at, but its sad its buried so deep.
Rich Brome

Dec 11, 2008, 2:42 AM
It's a platform that's exclusive to RIM, and therefore essentially proprietary, unlike platforms that are licensed to other manufacturers.

Also, we already have a RIM forum, so there would be quite a bit of redundancy there.
IrishCarBomb

Dec 11, 2008, 7:52 PM
I think he was asking that it be moved from the Manufacturer section to the platform section, thus it wouldn't' be redundant.

I would like to see this too, if possible and not too much of a headache, since even though it is proprietary, it does cover a large part of the market, especially the smart phone market. It is rather inconvenient having to dig for it, and it fits all the requirements of being in the platform section, it is a platform/OS.

As well, isn't the Palm OS proprietary too?
Rich Brome

Dec 11, 2008, 8:30 PM
The way our site is set up, each major manufacturer has a forum, and it can only be in the manufacturer section, so it is linked to that manufacturer's phone lineup. Therefore we couldn't move it to the platforms section.

Palm did license their OS. Samsung made a whole line of Palm OS phones for a while.
IrishCarBomb

Dec 11, 2008, 8:34 PM
Ok, makes sense, coding really sucks when trying to link like that.

And I didn't know that about Palm and Samsung, were the phones any good? Or is it forgotten history for a reason?(I am fairly new to the phone world, but do love research)
Rich Brome

Dec 11, 2008, 8:40 PM
The phones were fine. The OS has been dying for a while, though. They've been promising a new Linux-based replacement since 2004... it has yet to materialize.
IrishCarBomb

Dec 11, 2008, 9:10 PM
Yeah, I saw that some of the newest Palm handsets were running the WinMo OS, and read a couple reviews comparing the newest BB OS to the Palm 600 OS, in that it has finally hit its peak potential, and will need to be revitalized in some new form, either Linux because it is so open, or something else like Symbian.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.