Home  ›  Forums  ›

phonescoop.com

all discussions

show all 18 replies

Welcome to the new site!

Rich Brome

Oct 17, 2003, 2:24 AM
After over a year of planning and many a sleepless night, Phone Scoop "2.0" is finally here! There's a new look, some major changes and additions, and lots of little tweaks everywhere. And there's more new stuff on the way!

The most major change is definitely the new forums. That's a big enough topic that I'm writing a separate welcome message just for the forums. See that for details, but to sum up: a brand-new forum system has replaced the news groups, and there are dedicated forums for each carrier, manufacturer, and phone. Plus, you can now discuss news briefs that appear on the front page.

Here are some other changes:

• User Account overhaul. User accounts now require a verified email address, and your username is now als
(continues)
Rich Brome

Oct 17, 2003, 2:57 AM
I almost forgot - one more thing that is new, and already live:

You can now email other users privately, and they can email you, without exposing your email address publicly in any way. You can choose to not allow people to contact you this way, although there's really no reason to do that. The system was designed with privacy in mind from the get-go.
Rich Brome

Oct 17, 2003, 3:29 AM
...and how could I forget - I'm giving away phones, too! ๐Ÿ˜ Don't forget to update your account or register - that's all you need to do to be eligible to win! See the banner on the front page for details.

I have to apologize in advance for there not being any CDMA phones to win. I actually tried very hard to get a few, but it just wasn't possible. Between activation issues and carrier-exclusive models, it's just too difficult to give away a CDMA phone for something like this.
mycool

Oct 19, 2003, 11:25 PM
Not to sound rude Rich, I love your site, but I will severely miss the news groups... internal forums are fun, but everyone who used this site was connected to the newsgroups, and now is cut off from them unless they use google or something similar... i'll still visit your site because I love seeing news and the new phones.... but like I said, i'll miss the newsgroups and the "track responses" option....
Rich Brome

Oct 20, 2003, 1:09 AM
Believe me, this was not a decision taken lightly.

There were a lot of reasons, but mostly it just reached a point where the groups didn't seem as fun or useful anymore. Because of the way USENET works, there was nothing I could do to help, except create a new place where trolls and spam could be addressed properly.

...and also where we could finally make use of modern web technology, instead of being stuck in the dark ages of fixed-width text and top-posting vs. bottom-posting. It took me a while to realize it, but once I did it was clear as day - USENET is ancient - and it shows. It's time to move on.

I do lament that this will fragment the community in the near term, but if we can all work together, I honestly believe that...
(continues)
mycool

Oct 20, 2003, 10:30 AM
That's just the question I have... will the community stick to the USENET or come here? So far there isn't a whole lotta action going on.... at least, not in the 'group' i used to visit daily (ATTWS).
yoboy8

Oct 26, 2008, 1:17 PM
Oct 17, 2003, 3:24 AM
...but wait, there's more! ๐Ÿ˜‰ There are much cooler features in the wings that I'm not quite ready to talk about yet. Stay tuned!

what were the cooler features?
Rich Brome

Oct 26, 2008, 3:43 PM
We didn't have side-by-side comparison at the time. That was planned, and ended up being launched very soon after.

Honestly, that was so long ago that I'm not sure what my to-do list looked like then. There's still a large to-do list of great new features planned, and progress is being made on it all the time, just never as quickly as I'd like.

I have been working on these things a lot lately, actually, but unfortunately it's all behind-the-scenes stuff that lays the groundwork for the cool public-facing stuff. Not very exciting (for either of us) but necessary. Trust me, progress is being made. ๐Ÿ™‚
yoboy8

Oct 27, 2008, 4:54 PM
๐Ÿ˜ cool, can wait to see what you come up with!!
OfAMightDivine

Oct 26, 2008, 10:44 PM
When will the newsletter be available?
Rich Brome

Oct 27, 2008, 2:01 PM
That's on indefinite hold. We decided to focus on RSS instead. We feel RSS is a better medium for regular updates.

Also, sending out an email newsletter can be risky these days. It's all too easy to run afoul of overzealous spam filters and get our servers blacklisted by major services. We wouldn't want an email newsletter read by some to prevent whole blocks of the Internet from receiving our emails for account sign-up, etc.
KAYLA73

Oct 28, 2008, 11:06 AM
is there anyway to use a tmobile phone with this service if i pay the activation fee?
Jrockemsockem

Oct 28, 2008, 2:50 PM
What???? ๐Ÿคจ ๐Ÿ˜•
Rich Brome

Oct 28, 2008, 3:11 PM
I'm not sure what "service" you mean, but regardless, I think you have the wrong forum.
Juanbyjuan

Oct 30, 2008, 1:53 PM
way to dig up an old post too ๐Ÿคฃ

Double fail?
JesusSaves

Oct 31, 2008, 12:02 PM
does Cellular Concepts sell all kind of phones or just the ones already in America?
JimmyTaliban

Oct 31, 2008, 12:54 PM
No, they sell the ones that go in the market close to in front of overseas.
JesusSaves

Oct 31, 2008, 3:15 PM
Ok. Well thank you for your response I was not expecting one. I just did that so that when I got home I can look at the message I did a reply to, see that it had Cellular Concepts in the message and then go to that website since I wanted to check it out but am not able to at work. I do appreciate the response though.
JimmyTaliban

Nov 1, 2008, 1:05 AM
Responses are thankful when accommodated by plentiful graces and thanks. I was curious about Cellular Concepts until I stumbled upon a response in the message on the website since I wanted to check it out. But I'm not able to at work.

Your response is appreciated though.

- Saved

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.