Home  ›  Carriers  ›

Sprint

Info & Phones News Forum  

all discussions

show all 54 replies

Sprint or Verizon??

PatsFan

Jan 19, 2009, 1:23 PM
I've been with Verizon forever and I'm no longer under contract but I'm thinking of making the switch to Sprint. I love the BB 8330 that I saw (and used) @ a Sprint store. I couldn't believe how fast the internet svc was. Is Spints internet service faster than Verizons?
I know I'll have to pay a little more up front for the phone if I switch to Sprint but I liked the looks of their 8330 compared to the Verizon version. What do ya think? Make the switch or not? TIA
...
lateralus517

Jan 19, 2009, 6:52 PM
I'm biased since I work for Sprint. I do know that in MY area Sprint has better coverage by a significant amount. Due to the lack of coverage for Verizon the internet speeds suffer. Sprint's 3g speeds are great here. If the coverage is the same for both but Sprint's internet runs faster then Sprint should be your choice. I do believe that Verizon is a good company too. I would run coverage maps for both companies in ALL the areas you use your phone the most. People bash companies all the time because of lack of coverage where they need but they didn't check the coverage before signing up. For instance, AT&T is famous for poor signal and dropped calls in my area yet they're the leading wireless provider. Great company, just not here.
...
Azeron

Jan 24, 2009, 9:40 AM
Question: Does the Sprint Curve allow MMS to wireless numbers?
...
Relik

Jan 24, 2009, 10:10 AM
Not yet. The Blackberry rep was in a few days ago and said there is a patch in progress, but couldn't give me an ETA.
...
Azeron

Jan 24, 2009, 10:29 AM
Okay. I was wondering if they had taken care of that. In any event. Let's say you leave Verizon for Sprint. (I recommend the Simply Everything plan. That's the one I would sign up for if I left Verizon for Sprint.) I just posted this to another forum, but it applies here as well so... Here is something which may help... With Sprint's Curve you are only able to send a picture message to an email address, not a phone number. Why don't you convert the phone number into an email address then? For example: Say you have a friend who has a Sprint phone and their number is (310)777-9311. Send an email to 3107779311@PM.SPRINT.COM. If your friend is with AT&T: Send it to 3107779311@MMODE.COM TMOBILE: 3107779311@TMOMAIL.COM and Verizon ...
(continues)
...
Relik

Jan 25, 2009, 12:12 PM
A work around on that is to send yourself a picture mail via email. Send an email with a picture to your phone number at pm.sprint.com (ex. 555-555-5555@pm.sprint.com) then you will receive a link telling you that you've received new picture mail. Then just forward that link to someone else via text. Only catch is that person you're forwarding that link to has to have an internet plan or they'll get charged for use.
...
tylerrocks09

Jan 27, 2009, 10:22 PM
Verizons EVDO Rev A is as fast as Sprints, but is in more areas then Sprints, like 3 times the area.

I have Had Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, USCC, Alltel, and Verizon, the best was Verizon which i still have.

I had a lot of Friends who had Sprint and switched to Alltel and Verizon.
...
Cellenator

Jan 28, 2009, 12:36 AM
tylerrocks09 said:
Verizons EVDO Rev A is as fast as Sprints,


wrong just because you say so doesn't make it so. There is a recent study showing sprints on top. verizon has nothing to brag about on the data front. it has been that way for years.



In December, Gizmodo did its “Definitive coast-to-coast 3G data test” in which it compared the mobile broadband performance of Verizon Wireless, AT&T, and Sprint in eight cities across the U.S. and then published the results, which came up with a surprise winner: Sprint.

Gizmodo used comparable USB dongles from the big three U.S. cellular carriers to measure bandwidth in eight cities:

* New York
* Boston
* Chicago
* San Francisco bay are...
(continues)
...
tylerrocks09

Jan 28, 2009, 9:43 AM
Just because this study shows this doesn't mean sprint always makes it like that. There's test out there where at&t has won and verizon has won. But verizon and sprint have the same burst speeds! Verizons EVDO is in 3 times the area as sprints. Plus verizon has the largest mobile 2 mobile calling network, the largest network coverage wise, we have the best world roaming rates and the most data roaming partners. We have the best customer service ratings and best call quality, we have the lowest churn level wich means more people are happy with verizon and don't switch while sprint had the higest churn level looseing almost 2 million customers! Doesn't seem like they were too happy huh?
...
Relik

Jan 28, 2009, 11:12 AM
Terrible Churn... 🙄

That's something this forum hasn't heard before. Cricket has a lower churn rate than Sprint too... Sadly for you, that doesn't have anything to do with their mobile broadband speeds. Same thing applys to every other company Sprint came out on top of in this testing. 😉
...
MissSLM07

Jan 28, 2009, 7:57 PM
Cricket just has a lower churn rate because most folks with Cricket once had a Sprint phone but ran the bill up and couldn't pay it. Cricket is prepaid so they don't require a credit check or a deposit. All the people I know that have Cricket can't receive pix from Sprint customers and the coverage is horrible. Everywhere I get service they can't and supposedly they are using Sprint towers.
...
jrfdsf

Jan 28, 2009, 1:47 PM
tylerrocks09 said:
Just because this study shows this doesn't mean sprint always makes it like that. There's test out there where at&t has won and verizon has won. But verizon and sprint have the same burst speeds! Verizons EVDO is in 3 times the area as sprints. Plus verizon has the largest mobile 2 mobile calling network, the largest network coverage wise, we have the best world roaming rates and the most data roaming partners. We have the best customer service ratings and best call quality, we have the lowest churn level wich means more people are happy with verizon and don't switch while sprint had the higest churn level looseing almost 2 million customers! Doesn't seem like they were too happy huh?

< ...
(continues)
...
tylerrocks09

Jan 28, 2009, 5:39 PM
jrfdsf said:


Sprint still has the largest voice and 3G network coverage via roaming agreements. Good luck using your Verizon phone in certain US Cellular markets (can anyone say, "you're not authorized to use our system?"). 🤣


And you really think US Cellular has a EVDO network? Because they don't.

And I have been in a USCC area with my Verizon phone and it has worked fine. Calls, Internet, Picture, Video, And Text Messages, Get It Now, ect.

And don't feel proud that you service has lots Roaming, because Verizon can use there phone in more areas of the US then Sprint, like in Mississippi off a network called Cellular South. I don't see Sprint off them. And Verizon has EVDO Roaming with t
...
(continues)
...
Sprint_Pony

Jan 28, 2009, 6:22 PM
I agree with you about Verizon having better EVDO coverage in Mississippi, and I wouldn't offer Sprint Mobile Broardband to someone living their, but that's just common sense.

And I highly doubt that Verizon has decided to adopt the Alltel Unlimited Data usage practice. For one Verizon just bought out Alltel and it takes time to make these decisions, this from a leagacy Nextel employee who went through the merger, and for two, why would Verizion just all of a sudden decided that unlimited data usage is ok, when they were the first to decide to cap it? But I'm not worried, i'll be selling 4g/WiMAX data shortly, and you'll be waiting a year or two to sell it.

And, why would Verizion adopt My Circle? the have the largest mobile2mobile ne...
(continues)
...
tylerrocks09

Jan 28, 2009, 6:53 PM
I know a lot more than you think, and 4G won't do much, and LTE will be used all over the world and your wimax will be limited.and I doubt sprint finding the money to build wimax out enough for it to be useable.

Verizon will end evdo roaming as soon as the contract is up, then what yall gonna do? And what is sprint gonna do when CDMA is gone?because verizon is going to LTE and CDMA is being shut off. Sprint needs to think about the future, because its not very bright.
...
Platypus

Jan 28, 2009, 7:25 PM
quit your trolling. noone over here gives a rats ass about verizon man. we get you think your dick is bigger now go away.
...
rarodrig26

Jan 30, 2009, 4:47 PM
HILARIOUS!
...
Sprint_Pony

Jan 29, 2009, 1:44 PM
What's the timetable on LTE? I'm genuinely curious.
...
tylerrocks09

Jan 29, 2009, 4:57 PM
During Q3 and Q4 of this year.

They have been testing sense 2007.
...
rarodrig26

Jan 30, 2009, 4:50 PM
tylerrocks09 said:

They have been testing sense 2007.


I'm sure you meant to use "since" not "sense," but don't worry poor grammar only lowers the strength of your argument a little bit.
...
tylerrocks09

Jan 30, 2009, 5:48 PM
I can beat you in an argument.

You are worthless. And you don't want to mess with me because I will win.

Now go talk and your crappy network.
...
DiamondPro

Jan 31, 2009, 8:04 PM
I can see u are still sipping on that Kool-aid from Verizon. Hmmm pricing plans on Verizon suck compared to Sprint. Phones on Verizon Suck period they take the original and cripple it to death and disable original features. How many bogus flip phones will they come out with.
...
tylerrocks09

Feb 2, 2009, 8:17 PM
Sorry, we don't cripple our phones anymore, but we ARE crippling your network! 😁

🤣 🤣 🤣
...
DiamondPro

Jan 31, 2009, 7:34 PM
They dont have one
...
DiamondPro

Jan 31, 2009, 7:26 PM
WiMax is already being used all over the world and LTE at the rate Verizon and att are moving is gonna take forever. The advantages of WiMax over 3g will be huge sorry if you dont think so. U will just get left behind waiting for Verizon to catch up. Meanwhile, I will be using Sprints 4g and everthing else WiMax has to offer. 😎
...
jrfdsf

Jan 29, 2009, 12:08 PM
tylerrocks09 said:


And you really think US Cellular has a EVDO network? Because they don't.

And I have been in a USCC area with my Verizon phone and it has worked fine. Calls, Internet, Picture, Video, And Text Messages, Get It Now, ect.

And don't feel proud that you service has lots Roaming, because Verizon can use there phone in more areas of the US then Sprint, like in Mississippi off a network called Cellular South. I don't see Sprint off them. And Verizon has EVDO Roaming with the same companys as Sprint.

Sprint will be allowed on Alltels EVDO network and not Verizons current EVDO network.

Here are some markets that are growing rapidly: Tupelo, MS, Huntsville, AL, Shreveport, LA, Batton Rouge, LA, Lu
...
(continues)
...
tylerrocks09

Jan 29, 2009, 6:11 PM
jrfdsf said:


Sprint has the largest voice and 3G coverage, period! If they didn't, Verizon and AT&T would already have sued them for false advertising. Like it or not, Verizon is still the #2 carrier in terms of coverage. When Verizon introduced the "IN" calling plans, some of the coverage that came with the older plans went with it. That's why they no longer brag that they have the largest voice coverage anymore, not even now with Alltel.

Verizon has the largest 3G network in terms of native coverage due to the Alltel merger. If you'll notice, they say they are America's largest 3G network, not that they have the largest 3G coverage.



And where did you get your info?

Sprints Voice and 3G d
...
(continues)
...
jrfdsf

Jan 29, 2009, 8:13 PM
And where did you get your info?

Sprints Voice and 3G data service is no where near Verizons now that we have Alltel and Unicel.

Sprints network, not Nextel because its iDEN, covers at or around 250 Million people.

Verizons covers at or around 290 Million people.

Thats a 40 Million diffrence.

Verizon and Sprints 3G covered the same amount of people before the Alltel merge, and now after the merge, its way more then Sprints.
Actually, Sprint covers about 264 million per their website. Verizon did cover 265 million before the merger, according to their own website. Both figures are native network coverage, not including roaming.

Sprint has a larger 3G footprint because of roaming agreements. Verizon never
...
(continues)
...
tylerrocks09

Jan 29, 2009, 10:09 PM
Verizon covers 290 Million customers now with Alltel, then with Unicel it will be around 291 Million.

And Verizon has the largest 3G footprint.

We own Alltel Wireless wich is now Verizons EVDO network.

Sprint only had EVDO Roaming partners off of Alltel.

And Verizon has EVDO Roaming partners like Cellular South in Mississippi and ACS (Some Cell network in Alaska).

Go look at the verizons EVDO Coverage Map.
...
jrfdsf

Jan 30, 2009, 12:40 PM
tylerrocks09 said:
Verizon covers 290 Million customers now with Alltel, then with Unicel it will be around 291 Million.

And Verizon has the largest 3G footprint.

We own Alltel Wireless wich is now Verizons EVDO network.

Sprint only had EVDO Roaming partners off of Alltel.

And Verizon has EVDO Roaming partners like Cellular South in Mississippi and ACS (Some Cell network in Alaska).

Go look at the verizons EVDO Coverage Map.

You are confusing network coverage with total coverage. Yes, Verizon does have the largest voice and 3G network, but not the largest voice or 3G COVERAGE. In other words, they have more area that they personally cover, but less overall coverage when you factor in roa ...
(continues)
...
tylerrocks09

Jan 30, 2009, 5:32 PM
Verizon has more Roaming Partners.

They Use the same as Sprints.

I don't see Sprint on Cellular South.

90% of the time when Sprint roams now, it will be off Verizons network now we own Alltel and Unicel.

Plus, if you look at World Romaing partners, Verizon has more then Sprint, but not more then AT&T.

And also, Verizon was rated the worlds BEST data service provider by Business Traveler!

More then AT&T.
...
jrfdsf

Jan 30, 2009, 6:09 PM
tylerrocks09 said:
Verizon has more Roaming Partners.

They Use the same as Sprints.

I don't see Sprint on Cellular South.

90% of the time when Sprint roams now, it will be off Verizons network now we own Alltel and Unicel.

Plus, if you look at World Romaing partners, Verizon has more then Sprint, but not more then AT&T.

And also, Verizon was rated the worlds BEST data service provider by Business Traveler!

More then AT&T.


http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ueContent.jsp?scTo ... »

Before you claim this is just Sprint company propaganda, remember that they can and would be sued by Verizon if any of these claims were false.

Again, Verizon's claims are based on native netwo
...
(continues)
...
tylerrocks09

Jan 30, 2009, 8:42 PM
Roaming is NOTHING to be proud of.

It means your company must pay more for every person who Roams.

Verizon will save over 1 billion in Roaming because of the alltel purchase.

Sprints EVDO ONLY covers 170 Million people.

Verizon covers 274 Million.

http://www.sprint.com/business/products/products/evd ... »

http://aboutus.vzw.com/bestnetwork/network_facts.html »

And if Roaming matters, then sense Verizon has North American Calling plans with no roaming charges in Canada and Mexico, then Verizon would cover more then Sprint.
...
jrfdsf

Jan 31, 2009, 10:10 AM
tylerrocks09 said:
Roaming is NOTHING to be proud of.

It means your company must pay more for every person who Roams.

Verizon will save over 1 billion in Roaming because of the alltel purchase.

Sprints EVDO ONLY covers 170 Million people.

Verizon covers 274 Million.

http://www.sprint.com/business/products/products/evd ... »

http://aboutus.vzw.com/bestnetwork/network_facts.html »

And if Roaming matters, then sense Verizon has North American Calling plans with no roaming charges in Canada and Mexico, then Verizon would cover more then Sprint.

And not having it is even less to be proud of. At one time, Nextel had the largest network in the U.S., but if you weren't on their networ ...
(continues)
...
Cellenator

Feb 2, 2009, 8:54 PM
you sure can beat something to death 😉

What are your thoughts on the Motorola i9 and Boost new UNLIMITED EVERYTHING Plan for 50 bucks!
...
jrfdsf

Feb 3, 2009, 4:15 PM
Cellenator said:
you sure can beat something to death 😉

What are your thoughts on the Motorola i9 and Boost new UNLIMITED EVERYTHING Plan for 50 bucks!

Neat phone and a good plan!
...
Sprint_Pony

Jan 31, 2009, 1:49 PM
You do realize that those Sprint EVDO coverage numbers are over 2 years old, right?

How about trying to find more up to date numbers to compare?
...
drake

Jan 30, 2009, 6:46 PM
Did you quote a link and provide the source, to support Sprint? I'm almost scared
...
jrfdsf

Jan 31, 2009, 10:18 AM
drake said:
Did you quote a link and provide the source, to support Sprint? I'm almost scared



http://www1.sprintpcs.com/explore/ueContent.jsp?scTo ... »

This link doesn't provide any info about actual speeds, but it does state that Sprint's coverage (with roaming) is largest.
...
tylerrocks09

Jan 31, 2009, 11:39 AM
And heres your proof on bad sprint is looseing right now.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/11/07/sprint-post ... »

Heres our awards for:
Highest Call Quality
Highest Customer Service (Phone and In Store)
And Highest Satisfaction with Wireless Contract Service.

http://estore.vzwshop.com/jdpower/ »

Heres your proof that shows Verizon has the largest native coverage & 3G service.

http://news.vzw.com/news/2009/01/pr2009-01-09.html »

Heres your proof that Verizon Wireless is The World’s Best Wireless Data Service Provider, by Best in Business Travel.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.v ... »

And if Roaming did take a roll, ...
(continues)
...
jrfdsf

Jan 31, 2009, 12:08 PM
tylerrocks09 said:
And heres your proof on bad sprint is looseing right now.

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2008/11/07/sprint-post ... »

Heres our awards for:
Highest Call Quality
Highest Customer Service (Phone and In Store)
And Highest Satisfaction with Wireless Contract Service.

http://estore.vzwshop.com/jdpower/ »

Heres your proof that shows Verizon has the largest native coverage & 3G service.

http://news.vzw.com/news/2009/01/pr2009-01-09.html »

Heres your proof that Verizon Wireless is The World’s Best Wireless Data Service Provider, by Best in Business Travel.

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.v ... »
...
(continues)
...
tylerrocks09

Jan 31, 2009, 12:13 PM
And if Roaming did take a roll, the Verizon would win. Why? Because we have a North American Plan where you don't get charged Roaming fees in Canada and Mexico. You get Night, Weekens,Mobile to Mobile, and Anytime mins.

http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/04/vzwmap.jpg » »

THERES the coverage map.

NO Roaming Charges. More Coverage.

If it were roamign charges, then it wouldn't count.

FACE it. You lost.

I gave you the proof.
...
jrfdsf

Jan 31, 2009, 12:26 PM
tylerrocks09 said:
And if Roaming did take a roll, the Verizon would win. Why? Because we have a North American Plan where you don't get charged Roaming fees in Canada and Mexico. You get Night, Weekens,Mobile to Mobile, and Anytime mins.

http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/04/vzwmap.jpg » »

THERES the coverage map.

NO Roaming Charges. More Coverage.

If it were roamign charges, then it wouldn't count.

FACE it. You lost.

I gave you the proof.

Again, you are talking PLANS, not coverage, and you are talking about outside the U.S. at that.

You are the one making this claim, not Verizon. Nowhere on Verizon's website does it claim they COVER more people nationally than Sprint. They can't
...
(continues)
...
MissSLM07

Jan 31, 2009, 2:16 PM
I can't stand the trolls! 👿 If you don't like Sprint then stay in your own VZW forum! Geeeez! What it boils down to is this: everyone needs to pick a carrier based on who provides the best coverage where they live. Where I live all major carriers provide decent coverage but Sprint has the best plans in my opinion. You get more for you money. VZW is crazy expensive! I know a troll is going to respond with "VZW provides quality service and the best coverage blah blah blah" but my experience with Sprint so far has been great. 🙂
...
jrfdsf

Jan 31, 2009, 2:29 PM
MissSLM07 said:
I can't stand the trolls! 👿 If you don't like Sprint then stay in your own VZW forum! Geeeez! What it boils down to is this: everyone needs to pick a carrier based on who provides the best coverage where they live. Where I live all major carriers provide decent coverage but Sprint has the best plans in my opinion. You get more for you money. VZW is crazy expensive! I know a troll is going to respond with "VZW provides quality service and the best coverage blah blah blah" but my experience with Sprint so far has been great. 🙂

Agreed. Unfortunately, many love to come over here and report inaccurate info about Sprint like they have less coverage than carrier X does. Sometimes, t ...
(continues)
...
DiamondPro

Jan 31, 2009, 6:55 PM
Im gonna have to call BS on that one! Sprint has the fastest speed in the game right now and its only gonna get faster once WiMax coverage is expanded. When I had Verizon my speeds were slow but my signal was good all in all the speeds are not the same.
...
tylerrocks09

Jan 31, 2009, 7:41 PM
HAHA

Sprint even said they would switch to LTE if WiMax didn't work out.

Sprint is stupid for picking WiMax.

Not that WiMax is stupid, but no one is useing it really in the US and world except a few while 98% of the world is going LTE.

When Verizon cuts off ALL CDMA towers, yall are screwed.

Verizon is Sprints Life Support for Roaming.
...
DiamondPro

Jan 31, 2009, 8:23 PM
Please provide proof of that percentage. Actually 98% of the world has WiMax networks up and runing compared to 0% using LTE.

Verizon whimped out and went with LTE which is gonna cost billions n billions to produce and has not even been proven. While Sprint chose an option that works and is providing 4g capability right now.
...
tylerrocks09

Jan 31, 2009, 9:51 PM
umm, no.

WiMax will become a dead 4G like CDMA has become.

And Sprint will die along with it.

LTE is going to be the main 4G thats the world will use, not WiMax.

Like GSM is used now.

WiMax will become like HD DVD was.

WiMax is HD DVD and LTE is Blu-Ray.

Blu-ray killed HD DVD.

so will LTE. And you can say Good Bye Sprint because of it and when Verizon shuts off its CDMA network.

Nortel stop there investment in WiMax, and Nokia said they wernt going to make WiMax phones anymore.

http://technorati.com/articles/qkDcGxkCbw0cQHaAItlAx ... »

http://wimax.tmcnet.com/topics/wimax/articles/48393- ... »

http://www.cn-c114.net/583/a378045.html »
...
HawkeyeOC

Feb 1, 2009, 6:39 AM
tylerrocks09 said:
umm, no.

WiMax will become a dead 4G like CDMA has become.

And Sprint will die along with it.

LTE is going to be the main 4G thats the world will use, not WiMax.

Like GSM is used now.

WiMax will become like HD DVD was.

WiMax is HD DVD and LTE is Blu-Ray.

Blu-ray killed HD DVD.

so will LTE. And you can say Good Bye Sprint because of it and when Verizon shuts off its CDMA network.

Nortel stop there investment in WiMax, and Nokia said they wernt going to make WiMax phones anymore.

http://technorati.com/articles/qkDcGxkCbw0cQHaAItlAx ... »

http://wimax.tmcnet.com/topics/wimax/articles/48393- ... »

http://ww »
...
(continues)
...
HawkeyeOC

Feb 1, 2009, 6:31 AM
DiamondPro said:
Please provide proof of that percentage. Actually 98% of the world has WiMax networks up and runing compared to 0% using LTE.

Verizon whimped out and went with LTE which is gonna cost billions n billions to produce and has not even been proven. While Sprint chose an option that works and is providing 4g capability right now.


OMG! Does anyone actually listen to this kid? I mean its ok to love Sprint but darn! Everyone keeps owning you! Yikes! Would hate to be you 🤣
...
Sprint_Pony

Feb 1, 2009, 12:18 PM
You keep saying that Verizon is shutting down their CDMA network, when is this happening? Tommorrow? Next Week? I'd like to plan accordingly. Thank you.
...
HawkeyeOC

Feb 1, 2009, 6:37 AM
DiamondPro said:
Im gonna have to call BS on that one! Sprint has the fastest speed in the game right now and its only gonna get faster once WiMax coverage is expanded. When I had Verizon my speeds were slow but my signal was good all in all the speeds are not the same.


Reminds me of a conversation I had with a Sprint rep the other day:

He said, "why not try us". I said "why? I have better coverage with Verizon in my area"
He said, when we can't provide coverage, we use VERIZONS towers anyway. I again said "why switch???" 🤣 🤣 🤣

Diamond, I think even die hard Sprint fans are tired of you 😲
...
MarkCohen

Feb 4, 2009, 2:18 PM
That Sprint rep was trying to save you money. Why use the same network but pay more for it?
...
HawkeyeOC

Feb 5, 2009, 3:20 AM
MarkCohen said:
That Sprint rep was trying to save you money. Why use the same network but pay more for it?


Ask the 3 million or so customers that left Sprint last year that question. Money savings isn't all that matters sometimes. Otherwise we would all be for example driving Yugos 😁

In all fairness Sprint had major price advantages long ago. Now most carriers are competitive in that area
...

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.


all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

 

All content Copyright 2001-2021 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.