Motorola KRZR K1m
KRZR k1m Phone Tools SUCCESS Story
After several days of banging my head against the screen, I was finally able to get the Motorola Phone Tools to recognize and talk to my KRZR k1m. I'm with Sprint, but hopefully this will work for any carrier. Here's what I had to do to make it work:
1) Installed Motorola Phone Tools (version 4.03 off the CD I bought).
2) Installed Motorola_Software_Update.exe to install the necessary drivers to be able to talk to the phone at all. This is found at the following URL:
https://rsd.motorola.com/download/Motorola_Software_ ... »
3) Start up Motorola Phone Tools. NOTE: It wanted to update the Phone Tools software, and I let it, but I had to re-install the Motorola_Software_Update.exe software afterward or I couldn't make the next steps work.
4) When MPT was restarted and failed to find my KRZR, I opted to configure it manually. To do this, I selected the Motorola USB Modem on the device list, told it not to automatically select the driver but to let me choose from a list, and then selected the V3c. (The k1m was not listed yet, but the V3c at least let me get past the initial configuration and into the actual application. From here I could do some limited communication with the phone, but it gets better below.)
5) Once the actual MPT software was running and showing me the face of a phone (any phone will do) I went to the menu and told it to update to the latest version. For some reason, my software updated from 4.0.3 to 4.0.4 the first time I tried to run it, but there were three more updates out there I could not run until I had successfully connected and gotten to the menus. I'm currently upgraded to 4.5.1.
6) Once the update was complete, I had to run the Motorola_software_update.exe AGAIN to replace the drivers that were seemingly removed by the upgrade process in step 5.
7) Once that was done, I fired up MPT again and it was able to recognize my KRZR automatically without me configuring it manually! I have the full phonebook, calendar, and multimedia connectivity, and have edited several MP3's to create ringtones with great success.
Like I said, that's what I had to do. Because I had not seen anyone else post a success story for the k1m, I thought I would post it here. Your mileage may vary, but I'm hopeful that this will help folks...
Best of luck!
Shop for accessories specifically compatible with the Motorola KRZR K1m.