Home  ›  Forums  ›

Canada

all discussions

show all 8 replies

Looks like Rogers Wireless to drop TDMA & AMPS by 6/1/7

raycarroll70

Jan 11, 2007, 4:04 PM
It appears Rogers Wireless is finally shutting down their TDMA and AMPS networks by the 1st of June according to a PR of theirs. If the FCC has it their way, AMPS will be kaput by 2008 pending a few appeals by some home security companies like ADT. As far as TDMA goes, I'd like to think the remaining wireless carriers here in The States will hop to one of the 2 major digital camps(CDMA or GSM) by the end of this year. Cingular Wireless charges $4.99/line/month to their customers who have not yet migrated over to their GSM network.

Here's a C&P of the Rogers Wireless PR:

Rogers Wireless to Upgrade Remaining TDMA and Analog Wireless Customers
As Rogers turns down its TDMA and Analog network, the relatively few
remaining cust...
(continues)
renardlee

Jan 19, 2007, 1:07 AM
i guess the way they moved customers off of TDMA and AMPS is better than how cingular(at&t) handled it. cingular(at&t: im coping :cry🙂 is strong-arming TDMA/AMPS customers by implementing a 5 dollar fee, i like Roger's approach how come cingular couldnt do that, are they that greedy
dave73

Jan 20, 2007, 3:47 PM
renardlee said:
i guess the way they moved customers off of TDMA and AMPS is better than how cingular(at&t) handled it. cingular(at&t: im coping :cry🙂 is strong-arming TDMA/AMPS customers by implementing a 5 dollar fee, i like Roger's approach how come cingular couldnt do that, are they that greedy

Or how about Suncom? While Suncom is only PCS, they had just a TDMA network, and mandated people to change their plans, because they refused to honor the TDMA plans. I believe by now, they already shutoff the TDMA network.
cyberpsionic

Jan 20, 2007, 9:26 PM
Yes, the TDMA network of Suncom has indeed been turned down.
FRANoKia

Feb 8, 2007, 11:30 AM
i think it has less to do with greed and more to do with the American vs. Canadian business models.
blackandyellow

May 17, 2007, 9:45 AM
🤣
frankiewawa

May 31, 2007, 8:28 AM
Ray will you ever go away? 👀
cyberpsionic

May 31, 2007, 10:45 AM
😕
davidBRUCE

Sep 5, 2007, 12:53 PM
Rogers lost me as a Customer because John Boynton listened to his advisors and not his customers. I will miss my fully installed Motorola Handsfree ( full duplex) Car Cellphone. Bell mobility took me with open arms through their cellular number portability program.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.