Home  ›  Forums  ›

Canada

all discussions

show all 16 replies

Wireless Technology in the Great North

raycarroll70

Sep 17, 2006, 7:50 PM
I'm curious to know what is the dominant technology up and wireless carrier there in Canada. Here in the US, I'd like to think CDMA is considering of the top 5 US wireless carriers, 3 use CDMA while the other 2 are GSM.
ZombieJ

Sep 17, 2006, 8:02 PM
Aliant/Bell - CDMA

Telus - CDMA ... and I think iDen since they bought Clearnet.

Rogers - GSM

The major difference is the price. Cell phones/plans are more expensive in Canada. I pay around 80 a month for 2 cells with 300 day time minutes and N/W starting at 8pm.

I could get it cheaper with Rogers, but I like CDMA with Aliant since it is the most reliable and I live in the middle of nowhere.
newfette

Sep 17, 2006, 8:13 PM
aliant??

so your in eastern canada???

I alwasy though you lived in ontairo
ZombieJ

Sep 17, 2006, 8:17 PM
Nah I'm a Caper.

I live in St. Peters on Cape Breton Island.
newfette

Sep 17, 2006, 8:18 PM
holy crap..

I could throw rocks at you if i wanted.. lol

knowing that your a Cape Bretoner explains a lot 🤣
ZombieJ

Sep 17, 2006, 8:24 PM
I would make an off coloured Newf joke but I'd like to think I'm above that.
newfette

Sep 17, 2006, 8:26 PM
probably a good idea seeing as people from cape breton are just newfies who ran out of money on the way to Toronto
ZombieJ

Sep 17, 2006, 8:32 PM
Wrong.

....It was Fort McMurray.
raycarroll70

Sep 17, 2006, 8:16 PM
I remember Rogers Wireless from back in the day when I worked for AT&T Wireless. I still can't believe they haven't scuttled the AMPS and TDMA network of theirs yet. From my understanding, Rogers Wireless is the largest wireless carrier in Canada since their acquisition of Fido in 2004. LOL! I know the Canadian dollar's weaker than the US one at the moment.
newfette

Sep 17, 2006, 8:17 PM
telus is the biggest carrier in Canada..

the problem is Rogers works on GSM. there's A LOT of the country that doesn't have gsm coverage because of lower population.
newfette

Sep 17, 2006, 8:28 PM
Telus is the largest telecommunications company in Western Canada and the second largest in the country.

I keep forgetting that we are using Aliants network here
ZombieJ

Sep 17, 2006, 8:21 PM
I pretty sure Aliant/Bell is the largest telecommunications company, but I could be wrong.

Rogers probably has the largest network, as far as "Nationwide". I know here in Cape Breton they have decent service on the main roads. But when you get into the mountains or away from a highway you're fuc*ed.

I doubt it has anything to do with the dollar. Exchange rate here is only like 20 cents on the dollar... if that.

I think it would have more to do with population. There is under 40 million people in Canada and some wireless companies near have that in customers... Volume tends to drop price.
newfette

Sep 17, 2006, 8:25 PM
here in newfoundland Rogers only works on the Avalon and the f*cking morons who sell that sh!t don't tell people who live in newfoundland that tiny piece of information.

it just pisses me off
ZombieJ

Sep 17, 2006, 8:31 PM
Yeah. But there phone will work just fine when they pack up and move out West.
newfette

Sep 17, 2006, 8:32 PM
ah but they dont work when they come home for the winter
option32

Sep 21, 2006, 11:10 AM
Rogers really isnt very big. Some people might think it is simply because Verizon partners with them in the great white north. Canada is only around 27 million people with a continental land mass larger than the US. The US is over 330 million. So what do you expect? Companies simply dont have the capitol to expand as rapidly.

Verizon has more users on their network than canada does in their entire population.

Telus and Bell are the largest carriers up there. Hasnt anyone ever heard of the Telus Festival in whistler? Not to mention it seems like all the pay phones up there are telus.

About canadians not locking doors. They do. Micheal moore is fat, and thats all that is true about him. But if you find any free furniture, or some nice...
(continues)
newfette

Sep 21, 2006, 11:14 AM
are you actually a Canadian or some smart mouthed American that needs to be kicked in the junk a few times?

🤨

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.