Home  ›  Forums  ›

Canada

all discussions

show all 69 replies

I'm sick and tired of Americans going on ....

ZombieJ

Feb 12, 2006, 9:55 AM
with this "aboot" sh*t. Just reading through that naked news thing drove me insane.

I want to make this clear and understandable: WE DO NOT SAY "aboot". Ever. Some of us East coasters (myself included) DO say what amounts to "aboat"... but not 'a-boot'. I've lived here for a quarter of a century and have been all over this great land and not ONCE has anyone ever said "aboot", only "aboat" and "about". So please If your going to poke fun at our idiosyncrasies, at the VERY LEAST get it correct.

Also death by 1000 cuts to any so called Canadian who ever put up with this crap and never once pointed out it being incorrect; instead smiling and nodding, contented that Americans actually mentioned us in a sentence. My hatred for your inane ...
(continues)
alejandro

Feb 12, 2006, 11:03 AM
What are you talking aboot eh?
ZombieJ

Feb 12, 2006, 11:19 AM
You stay out of this.
alejandro

Feb 12, 2006, 1:08 PM
sorry, the south park movie was on comedy central again last night.
bigpappasmurf

Mar 3, 2006, 5:08 PM
aww, come on buddy, don't be mad, eh? oh, philip you donkey raping s*&t eater, come on pig f*&^er, ahh hahaha ha
aemsafd

Mar 3, 2006, 8:19 PM
Oh, Phillip, this is even worse than the time I fell asleep and you stuck your d.ick in my mouth a took a picture!

I know Terrance, i know.
Whitehorse

Feb 12, 2006, 4:44 PM
Canadians are Americans too!!! Actually, I really do like Canada & hope to visit someday. I hunt & I understand that the richness of the wilderness is awesome! I don't care how you talk; one of my favorite managers was from Newfoundland, she said "aboat" & was one of the best leaders we've had.
ZombieJ

Feb 12, 2006, 5:02 PM
If she was hard core newfie, she has a thicker accent than I do. Which is commendable.
Whitehorse

Feb 12, 2006, 10:17 PM
She moved "up" to Nashville from Alabama, where she had been for 10 years. Still had the accent pretty thick. Very nice lady.
Polvo de ajo

Feb 14, 2006, 1:36 PM
that's like saying puerto ricans are spanish

sicilians are italian,

and germans are english

or conjoined twins are the same person

it's just not true
KrazyJoe

Feb 13, 2006, 10:46 AM
Actually, I have heard "aboot" before. You are correct that it generally is more like "aboat" but there are a few occasions I've heard the former.

I used to work in the call center for GM Card Canada, so I'd take a couple hundred calls a day. There are a few that say "aboot." Generally, they're a lil hard to understand in general (not so much a french speaking person trying to speak english as much as it is incomprehensable babble.)
newfette

Feb 14, 2006, 8:37 AM
I am a very proud Canadian and i say aboot...

i know i do.. I've had it point out to me on many occasions...

so just because you don't say it or you don't know anyone who says it.. doesn't mean it don't happen???
have you ever seen a billion dollars???
NO?
Doesn't mean it don't exist...

so be a Canadian in the truest sense of the word. Accept your fellow Canadians for the differences.... and if you don't like it.. go write a letter to someone who cares..
ZombieJ

Feb 14, 2006, 10:26 AM
"Also death by 1000 cuts to any so called Canadian who ever put up with this crap and never once pointed out it being incorrect; instead smiling and nodding, contented that Americans actually mentioned us in a sentence. My hatred for your inane quaintness is even deeper."

^^ This was clearly directed to you.

If you're from Newfoundland, remember... you're not really a Canadian.

Also don't call my knowledge of linguistics into question here because you have a speech impediment. Learn what a diphthong is. Then understand how it effects Irish, Scottish, British and French dialects. Then and only then will you be able to discuss this with me on anything above an 8th grade level.

Until then, regards:

Zombie J...
(continues)
newfette

Feb 14, 2006, 10:40 AM
oh my god

i'm never met such an arrogant person in my life...

to say that because i'm from Newfoundland i'm not Canadian not only is extreemly insulting but frankly it pisses my off..

I'm sorry if your insulted that all canadians are generally grouped into one big not so happy family.. but it happens..

it's the same as saying all americans are rednecks.. which is not true..

so I'm not going fight you on this anymore.. you have your ignorant opinion. i have mine..

if you want to continue being an arrogant prick.. by al means.. that's your choice to do that.. but i do hope that someday you so se that canada is a diverse country.. people talk with diffrent accents..

get over it
ZombieJ

Feb 14, 2006, 10:46 AM
well,

you're

not.

i'm sorry if it

pissed you off.

but typing in lower case

and using unnecessary paragraph

breaks pisses me

off. so I guess we're even.
newfette

Feb 14, 2006, 10:48 AM
get over yourself buddy
ZombieJ

Feb 14, 2006, 10:51 AM
I'm still waiting for that definition of diphthong, and it's relation to the various regional dialects. More specifically how it pertains to me being 100% correct. You know, whenever you get around to it.
sonyluver30

Apr 20, 2006, 5:47 AM
What a total idiot. I'm like newfette. Get over yourself; Zombie.
dca

Feb 14, 2006, 2:51 PM
YEAH! Even their d*mn cellphones, when they ring display:

...incoming call, eh...

I'm sorry, that would be a lie.
Polvo de ajo

Feb 14, 2006, 3:06 PM
[looks at phone when it rings, caller id says] "becca's calling, eh"

😁
texaswireless

Feb 15, 2006, 3:31 AM
So the fact that the 3 Canadiens I know all say "aboot" means nothing then, eh?

And every time I hear a hockey interview they have basically that same accent?

Losing battle I think, eh?
ZombieJ

Feb 15, 2006, 7:04 AM
It's not so much losing at is it a lost cause.

Listen to them say "about" then spell it out phonetically, it is not aboot. I'm sorry, it just isn't. Think of it as uh-MER-ikanz saying abAowt, with a hard 'o' sounding like an 'A'. And Canadians saying "aboat" with both vowels being soft because we have issues with diphthongs. It's not saying "boot", it is close and in passing conversation could be considered as such by someone who doesn't know what they are talking about. But I assure you it is not aboot. The only 'people' who say that are Terrence and Phillip.
q-tip21069

Feb 15, 2006, 1:45 PM
I'm tired of reading peoples posts about how Americans are so rude, guntockin, war hungry morons. Just because we have some oil greedy president doesn't mean where all out to screw the world. Most of use are hard working American's trying to make a liveing to feed are families.I didnt vote Bush into office he stole the election. so dont generalize us into one catagorie.
dwhitt

Feb 15, 2006, 2:52 PM
First of all bush did not steal the election he won by a landslide...

Secondly, If your sick of reading the post then dont read them! Great thing is we have the freedom of speach. 😳 😳 😳
razrfreak

Feb 15, 2006, 2:55 PM
i think you are the smartest person on this website
ZombieJ

Feb 15, 2006, 3:46 PM
51% is a landslide? O....k.

Great thing freedom of speech doesn't exist on a message board and we only have 'freedom' insofar as the Moderators allow it.

Your bit*hing about a post that is b*tching about a post. Do you not get the irony about complaining about me complaining? Take your own advice and not read it.

Smartest person on the board 🙄 , you can't even form a proper argument.
ondisplay

Feb 15, 2006, 4:03 PM
I don't know where you get your info but Bush did NOT win by a landslide.
razrfreak

Feb 15, 2006, 4:05 PM
how dare you question your president he has never done anything wrong
ZombieJ

Feb 15, 2006, 4:21 PM
Too bad you can't just jail dissidents anymore. That would learn them. That would learn them good. Political discourse and dissent is for freedom haters anyway.
dwhitt

Feb 15, 2006, 4:25 PM
That would learn them? I hope your from canada or the hills.... If not grammer 101 would be helpfull.

ALSO I was implying that Bush did win by a landslide in the last election, your correct when you say the first election was close.
ZombieJ

Feb 15, 2006, 4:38 PM
The '04 election was by 51% he just governs as if he has a mandate because the Republicans have Congress and the Senate by the short and curlies. Actually it was 50.7%, and 286 vs. 251 of the electoral votes. So not quite 51% of the popular vote, and no where near a landslide.

I am aware of proper grammar. That was known as sarcasm, it was written in hillbilly uh-MER-ikan talk (ie:"get er' done"). You see, only a ignorant hillbilly would be willing to suppress dissent in a democratic society. Because thats what makes a society democratic, the ability to freely oppose an organization or idea. Just like your free to disagree with the numbers I have posted above, you would be wrong:
http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0922901.html »
http://www.th »...
(continues)
alejandro

Feb 15, 2006, 4:49 PM
it would help if the post you created was correctly using "they're" and if you spelled speech right but whatever man do your own thing your a rebel i know
alejandro

Feb 15, 2006, 5:05 PM
haha, i mean you're.
alejandro

Feb 15, 2006, 5:07 PM
Since I made that mistake on correcting you I have to come up with another of your mistakes to balance it out. So here we go...

"helpful" only has 1 "l"
alejandro

Feb 15, 2006, 5:07 PM
we will leave "grammar" out of this for now.
alejandro

Feb 15, 2006, 4:55 PM
exactly! and who says we do not jail dissidents? thats news to me and i work for a subcontractor of the NSA
ZombieJ

Feb 15, 2006, 4:58 PM
They're not dissidents. Those are 'terrorists'
alejandro

Feb 15, 2006, 5:04 PM
I wasn't talking about arabs, I was talking about americans.
ZombieJ

Feb 15, 2006, 5:10 PM
Gestapo? Already?

Since when are Americans jailed for speaking against the government ?
alejandro

Feb 15, 2006, 5:20 PM
thats not the official charge, the official charge is usually something like loitering, protesting without a permit and it has been going on for a while, the government put a vietnam protester in prison for 10 years for one marijuana cigarette.
alejandro

Feb 15, 2006, 5:21 PM
sherman austin was put in jail for 2 years for raisethefist.com
ZombieJ

Feb 15, 2006, 5:41 PM
Did I mention how much I don't like America lately?
alejandro

Feb 15, 2006, 5:42 PM
Sherman was actually arrested and had his house raised by the DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY and the FBI, I had no idea the DHS was charged with supressing political dissent and raiding the house of americans.
ZombieJ

Feb 15, 2006, 5:44 PM
But he possessed "hate literature", and was on the verge of obtaining the necessary components for a WMD! Aluminum tubes... assorted lenghts of wire... et cetera.
alejandro

Feb 15, 2006, 5:48 PM
go to raisethefist.com

It says this.

On Jan 24, 2002 the FBI, Secret Service Los Angeles Joint-terror Task Force armed with sub-machine guns, shot guns, and bullet-proof vests raided the home of Sherman Austin (former webmaster of Raisethefist.com and founder of RTF Direct Action Network). Sherman Austin was 18 years old at the time. Federal agents came armed and ready to kill with the house completely surrounded and guns drawn before approaching the front door. They left with all computer equipment and political literature seized. A week later he attended the World Economic Forum protests in New York where he was arrested by the FBI for "distribution of information related to explosives or weapons of mass destruction". However Sherman...
(continues)
ZombieJ

Feb 15, 2006, 5:52 PM
Yea I read that. Thats why I posted, in jest, the WMD thing. It's a shame, though I'm not surprised, no one actually does anything about it. Though I suppose when they try to they are convicted and sent to jail. Catch 22 of sorts.
alejandro

Feb 15, 2006, 5:53 PM
not only that, but this country is apathetic or pro government, there is few inbetween, it's just that nobody cares about unlawful imprisonment, too many people in this country think that is just cause.
alejandro

Feb 15, 2006, 5:54 PM
i was argueing with 2 people on some news board on phonescoop who thought life in prison for spitting on a cop was no big deal.
alejandro

Feb 15, 2006, 5:55 PM
-e
ZombieJ

Feb 15, 2006, 6:00 PM
Life for spitting on a cop? Why not death ?!

There is no way a sane human could make that argument. Though you guys do have some insane laws. Like the ones involving your flag, and the whole capitol punishment issue.
alejandro

Feb 15, 2006, 6:29 PM
The funniest thing about our flag burning law attempts is that burning the flag is the only proper disposal of it, but how would politicians know that?
alejandro

Feb 15, 2006, 6:31 PM
If you really want to be a terrorist throw it in the garbage Plus, the need for a law for something that only happens 2 times a year in the united states is a political maneuver for the stupidest of americans, the absolute bottom run of the ladder.
razrfreak

Feb 15, 2006, 2:53 PM
but when french people did not like our president certain elements in the united states started a campaign to smear their people which caused them to lump us all into one the same people smear canada about everything they do wrong the problem is those people but when those people are so loud it looks like its all americans
ZombieJ

Feb 15, 2006, 3:40 PM
what ?
ZombieJ

Feb 15, 2006, 3:49 PM
When did I do that? If you can name one other nationality that claims Canadians say 'aboot' I will rescind my comments.

I also never said anything about rudness, or war hunger.
Polvo de ajo

Feb 21, 2006, 2:15 PM
and my co-worker from Minnesota
dubonca

Mar 1, 2006, 6:53 PM
The irish say aboot.

They go oot and aboot. (out and about)

Thus an Irish-American may say aboot.
Other then that, they're just annoying people, being america has nothing to do with it.
dca

Feb 15, 2006, 4:24 PM
ZombieJ said:
with this "aboot" sh*t.
WE DO NOT SAY "aboot".

I guess it's kinda' hot when a Canadian chick says it but not a guy. Ah, now I'm just being critical, nevermind.
Insert Witty Name Here

Feb 15, 2006, 5:41 PM
Eh?
alejandro

Feb 15, 2006, 5:43 PM
don't worry, he does not know what he is talking aboot.
ZombieJ

Feb 15, 2006, 5:47 PM
I know exactly what I'm talking about. We do say "eh", we spell centre instead of cent'er', cheque not check, and all kinds of other weird and wacky things. Aboot just isn't one of them, I'm sorry.
alejandro

Feb 15, 2006, 5:50 PM
you also sip tea and have yet to have you own revolutionary war.
ZombieJ

Feb 15, 2006, 5:56 PM
Why would we need a revolution?

Back of tea man, it's delicious.
Insert Witty Name Here

Feb 15, 2006, 6:18 PM
Isn't your beer supposed to better too?
ZombieJ

Feb 15, 2006, 6:21 PM
It has a higher alcohol content.... which makes it better.
xIsamuTM

Mar 2, 2006, 2:09 PM
...dian beer sucks. but i don't drink, so i think all beer sucks.
spum

Mar 5, 2006, 2:36 PM
Stupid Canadians with their beady little eyes and their heads flopping aboot...
sonyluver30

Apr 16, 2006, 11:31 PM
Hey Spum. I'm proud to be an American; but you are a total disgrace to me. I have some BEST friends that live in Canada. And they are the BEST people you would ever want to be around. Don't know where you get all this crap about beady eyes & heads flooping aboot. There are some very nice Canadians & their are some a$$holes. But you find that in America. In fact; you are acting like an a$$hole. I have a trip planned to Canada in Sept. And I can't wait. Would invite you; but I don't care for a$$holes.
robbied

Apr 20, 2006, 11:08 AM
😈 I just got back from Canada and I heard at least three people say aboot and I wasnt even there for two days. I am shocked that even some canadians are blindsided from there funny countrymen!
aemsafd

Apr 20, 2006, 11:11 AM
It's a form of Canuckian Denial.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.