Phone Scoop

printed October 31, 2014
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=9&fi=424630

Home  ›  Forums  ›

Canada

Back to message list

Top message:  legalize marijuania YES or NO? by weaselbitmypancake   Aug 7, 2005, 7:13 PM

Replying to:  Re: legalize marijuania YES or NO? by GILDAR   Nov 1, 2005, 7:11 PM

Re: legalize marijuania YES or NO?

by CptFarlow    Nov 2, 2005, 5:20 PM

I usually just sit back and watch the debates on this subject. Usually it never goes anywhere. While I am an avid user of the topic of argument, I do it in a responsible manner. I don't think that it will solve anything by legalizing or decriminalizing it, but I do think it will help to lighten us up.

Let's look at what will happen if we keep it a "controlled substance." (This will ring true for all drugs, not just cannibus.) People will still do them, drug dealers will continue to make a killing-over 400% profit-on their products, police will do their best to run drug lines dry, only to be replaced by another group. Prohibiton creates the drug cartels that have taken over the majority of the governments in countries like Columbia. Prohibition also urges people to refine drugs into a harder, more potent, more addictive and destructive substance. The coca plant in its natural form is actually very low potency and not very addictive at all. (People in South America are addicted to it, but only because they do it all the time.) Coke, in its refined form, is very destructive. I have done it, but I'll never tough it again. I'll stick to something a bit more natural.

Take Mexico for example. I just read a report how they shutdown a big tunneling system that goes from Mexico to Texas, used for smuggling cannibus-and probably other drugs, too-only to have it replaced by a new group of smugglers.

The point is, when somebody can make such a profit off of it, there will always be somebody willing to do it.

Now, some people complain how liberals would tax it and make some money on it. I would certainly pay a bit more to have more freedoms in the world. So that I wouldn't have to worry about if I'm going to get arrested for something that isn't hurting anybody. We would not only save money by not spending it on drug prevention and busts, anti-drug commercials and other advertising, but also by not having the numbers of inmates in jail for simple possesion. In 2000, we spent $1.2 billion just to keep people in jail for cannibus, most for simple possesion. And it hasn't gone down since then.

It would most definetly be affordable, even if it was taxed. It is taxed in the Netherlands, and you can buy it for about half of that in the US.

Another con of prohibiting drugs, is that it creates a police-state, which is the only way it can be enforced. Somebody said that polititions dont care that much, which is true. They make the laws, and then the weight falls onto the police. The police use fear to encourage people to obey the law. Don't get me wrong, I respect the police, they have a tough job, because as much as they may not agree with the law, they still have to enforce it. I know that if I were in trouble, a police officer would help me the best they could.

Finally, drugs are not a criminal problem, it is a treatable condition. If drugs were decriminalized, the people that are going to do them were going to do them to begin with, and the ones that knew they had a problem could actually come out into the open and get help. Yeah sure, they can go to a hospital and admit themselves without getting arrested, but if you were doing something that could land you in jail for a few years, wouldn't you be skeptical to come out and tell a stranger that?

Drugs will never solve anything, but tell a nation to just ignore them and punish them for using them will never solve anything. They will NEVER go away, so let's learn to be responsible with them. While I was in college, I skipped classes, drank on the weekends, and got high during the week. When I couldn't get any, I was pissed. I am not a lot more responsible with it. If I can't get some, I don't really worry about it. I know I will sooner or later, and I have plenty of other things to do in the meantime. I have a great job, a great girl, and a good life. I'm only 20, but I know that as long as I'm happy and not hurting anybody, then I'm doing good.

I could go on about all kinds of studies done, blah blah blah, but everybody cites all kinds of studies. Look it up yourself if you don't really know. Don't believe what you read or see on TV, research it, find out for yourself. I used to smoke it and worry about how many brain cells I was killing, until I found out for myself that it doesn't kill them at all. I use a vaporizer now, not all the time, but most of the time.

Report to moderator

Replies

This thread has been closed by a moderator.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.