Phone Scoop

printed October 30, 2014
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=9&fi=353746

Home  ›  Forums  ›

Canada

Back to message list

Top message:  legalize marijuania YES or NO? by weaselbitmypancake   Aug 7, 2005, 7:13 PM

Replying to:  Re: legalize marijuania YES or NO? by Shoota   Aug 8, 2005, 10:03 AM

Re: legalize marijuania YES or NO?

by ZombieJ    Aug 8, 2005, 2:12 PM

Well, it isn't legal in Jamaica, and it isn't even a native crop. It was brought from India with the indetured servants, who revered it a a holy pant, much as the Rastafarian's do now. Lets not forget tourism. Their true economy is heavily Dependant on services. They also have a decent mining industry even though it took a hit in the 80's, bauxite I believe.

So I'm a little confused as to what your point is. Yes they may smoke a lot of pot. They also, at least in the early 90's, had the highest per capita debt in the world, at around 4 billion dollars. This would normally force any country into the 3rd world status. However because of Jamaica's legal and taxable export industries (farming, bauxite, tourism) they are able to stop the sinking ship. In fact the country itself ranks 64 out of 111 in the Quality of Life Index. Not exactly horrible for a small country who at one time had the largest per capita debt.

Basically my point is, you don't really know what your talking about, or to put it nicer, your argument does not hold water. Why not try using The Netherlands with the same argument? Well they are 16 on the Quality of Life index !! It's still illegal in Jamaica and they are down at 64. In The Netherlands marijuana is a controlled substance (decriminalized) however growing for personal use and smoke shops operate with out prosecution. That means after a businessman is done work, he can go have a seat in a coffee shop and smoke a joint before he goes home.. which is the proper thing.

Also the Netherlands is much ahead of the western world by actually using something called "common sense" and distinguishing between "hard drugs" and "soft drugs", and also by treating drug use as a social matter, not a criminal matter. I could go on in further detail, but I'm sure you knew all of this or you wouldn't have posted with something that could so easily be countered. Was your Jamaica comment a joke? I hope so.

Report to moderator

Replies

This thread has been closed by a moderator.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.