Home  ›  Forums  ›

Canada

all discussions

Nokia 8390 on Rogers????

MightyMouse

Nov 13, 2003, 1:04 AM
I was wondering if there is a way to use a Nokia 8390 that was on FIDO on Rogers?????? I am with them now and I would just use my own SIM card but it there a lock on it?
mikethestranger

Dec 5, 2003, 4:51 PM
You might be able to use that phone with Rogers, you would have to call Rogers and provide them with the IMEI (serial number) to see if there systems will let you do that. I work at an AT&T Wireless call centre in Canada and i currently have my 8390 on the Rogers network and i love it. The customer service is ****ty, but other than that the coverage is ok. You may just be able to purchase a new sim card from rogers and that may work. i am not to familiar with gsm service. i work in the tdma dept.
MightyMouse

Dec 7, 2003, 6:11 PM
I have a SIM card because right now I use a Siemens C56 but is the phone itself locked? and can I use my own SIM card? what city do you use your 8390 in and is it good coverage?
mikethestranger

Dec 9, 2003, 12:23 AM
i live in red deer, alberta. alberta has the best gsm coverage in all of canada actually. anyways, the sim card has to be activated to work with any phone, and the IMEI (serial number underneath the battery) also has to be put into the wireless carrier's computer systems so it allows your phone to be used on their network. so just call customer care and let them know you need to activate a new phone and give them the IMEI. let me know how it goes.
Sleeping

Feb 23, 2004, 3:42 AM
If the phone was originally for Fido, chances are it's locked to Fido. GSM phones however can be unlocked. Do a Google search for "Unlock Nokia" and you'll find lots of sites that will do it remotely for a small fee.

Or at least that's the US answer, I don't know if Fido or Rogers will have the unlock codes themselves, since I've never tried it myself. The technical term is "Subsidy Unlock Code", so ask them both if they'll provide it for you.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.