Home  ›  Forums  ›

Canada

all discussions

show all 16 replies

cheapest/best carrier for cross border family plan

gonar

Apr 10, 2009, 11:44 AM
I live in the US, My Daughter is planning on attending UBC in Vancouver, BC, Canada next year.

we are trying to figure out a cell phone solution that is not going to bankrupt us.

we would want ~700 shared mins, unl nights and weekends, unlimited text and some form of free calling within (at least) the members of the family plan.

cheap data plans would be good too as we are considering smartphones/iphones.

any advice would be welcome.
llama

Apr 10, 2009, 2:13 PM
Verizon Wireless Plus Canada...

$89.99, 700 shared, 1000 N&W, 1000 M2M...
Webb

Apr 11, 2009, 11:55 PM
Devil's advocate time:

Is there going to be any limit as to what percentage of their minutes can be used north of the border or otherwise off-network?
Menno

Apr 13, 2009, 12:50 PM
I have yet to see it. It's a really popular plan for Truck drivers, even Canadian truck drivers as long as they have a US address.

Now, if you are spending 100% of your time in Canada, having a US+Canada plan is kind of expensive because national plans are almost always cheaper.
Quinlan

Aug 1, 2009, 2:40 AM
This is the statement that REALLY bothers me

http://www.satphire.com »
TommyJames

Apr 7, 2010, 12:35 AM
I guess I'm confused....Very interesting article, but it seems a little contradictory.
ac4321

Apr 18, 2009, 11:07 PM
I don't think you're going to find something that fully meets your needs.

Sprint, Verizon, and probably others offer plan add-ons to make calling to Canada pretty cheap, but calling *from* Canada will add up.

Beware that on a family plan mobile to mobile will probably not be usable if either party is off-network, which would be the case with one person in the US and the other in Canada. With Sprint it would count minutes since it's off network. I very much doubt that would be different for the other carriers, but reps from other carriers might be able to chime in to confirm or clarify.

If she was just there for a few weeks or so then it would be better to stay on the US carrier with you, but the international roaming costs would...
(continues)
llama

Apr 19, 2009, 12:57 PM
ac4321 said:
I don't think you're going to find something that fully meets your needs.

You are incorrect.
michael79

May 11, 2009, 5:41 AM
I would rather get something like Onesuite.com, it has prepaid calling card service and voip.

Rates to calling Canada from US is only 1.9 cents.
diggitydogg76

Apr 15, 2010, 4:56 PM
I would recommend getting a Canadian plan for her & keeping a family plan for those of you staying in the US. Getting an android phone with T-Mobile or iphone with AT&T will allow you to use Vonage Mobile where you can call into Canada from the cell for only 1c/min with no monthly service plan or unlimited for $25. She would simply be responsible for her airtime charges. Adding skype or vonage for the home would give you unlimited calling & video conferencing.

Unfortunately since they are two different countries with two different regulation commissions, laws, tarrifs, etc you will not find an international unlimited or family plans. Well, not until it becomes the United States of Canada anyway 🤣
jessicad

May 2, 2009, 11:03 AM
Verizans Nationwide plus Canada would be good but the texting from Canada would be a per text rate. 20 cents sent or received. I live on the border so we have to answer a lot of questions about this.
Drunk

May 2, 2009, 2:58 PM
Reading the subject in this post made me think of the Mexico American boarder and not America's hat and America border.. humm... I was going to say I know a coyote that will carry you across the border for a good price. If you want free then Jaun the drug lord will get you across if you smuggle some.. stuff and if you make it all the way to the drop off you can stay in America but if you don't you'll get shot. Its not as nice as the truck idea but its free.
lowtechlou

May 4, 2009, 2:01 PM
2 cans and a very long string... 😈
Drunk

May 11, 2009, 6:41 PM
Skype is free mobile to mobile, and it's dang cool when its free. I'd get an old windows mobile phone with wifi and use it. You can download skype for it and be so very happy. I'm happy. Oh, or you could get a new PSP and use it for skype and also play your games and all that junk or an ipod touch with a mic. I love skype. Thank you.
NEPats726420

Aug 4, 2009, 6:14 PM
agreed
Global_Telecom_R_US

Jan 16, 2010, 10:03 AM
You can get unlimited talk to Canada with a Video Phone at http://fernandoprendez.shopacnrep.com/digital /
That way you can talk all you want and see your daughter.

I know what you are going through. I have a son in college too.
Hope this helps you.
duluthsnow

Jan 17, 2010, 1:36 PM
Verizon's Nationwide plus Canada Family Plan has worked great for us the last two years while our son was in school in Toronto.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.