Phone Scoop

printed November 1, 2014
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=9&fi=2045825

Home  ›  Forums  ›

Canada

Back to message list

Replying to:  cheapest/best carrier for cross border family plan by gonar   Apr 10, 2009, 11:44 AM

Re: cheapest/best carrier for cross border family plan

by ac4321    Apr 18, 2009, 11:07 PM

I don't think you're going to find something that fully meets your needs.

Sprint, Verizon, and probably others offer plan add-ons to make calling to Canada pretty cheap, but calling *from* Canada will add up.

Beware that on a family plan mobile to mobile will probably not be usable if either party is off-network, which would be the case with one person in the US and the other in Canada. With Sprint it would count minutes since it's off network. I very much doubt that would be different for the other carriers, but reps from other carriers might be able to chime in to confirm or clarify.

If she was just there for a few weeks or so then it would be better to stay on the US carrier with you, but the international roaming costs would quickly make that not worth it.

Your best bet will probably be to keep your family plan you current have or that best suits the family members in the US, and then have your daughter get a prepaid or postpaid plan from a Canadian carrier. For all of you, it would be beneficial to get add-ons to call Canada or call America in her case.

If I were to be a student out of the country, I'd get a prepaid phone in that country, but I'd also get a Skype or VOIP "home phone." I'd make the long or regular calls from the VOIP phone in my dorm, and only sparingly use the mobile to call home.

Report to moderator

Replies

Reply You must log in to reply.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.