Home  ›  Forums  ›

Canada

all discussions

show all 9 replies

IC902 Wont work in Canada

cokeman99

Mar 6, 2008, 9:06 PM
I bought a new Sprint/Nextel Motorola IC902 from a Sprint store in Florida with intentions of activating it on the Telus network here. Telus says they can't activate it. Whats the deal. It is 800 IDEN compatible (Mike and Nextel) as well as 1900 CDMA. I think they just want me to buy one of their phones. What do I do now.
KioskLife

Mar 7, 2008, 2:22 PM
Canada's pretty strict when it comes to cellphones and the companies make sure that their phones are locked on their own network. If Telus doesn't sell that particular model and you can't buy it from them there's really nothing you can do (except return the phone of course). They just won't activate it, trust me on this one.
Ana0572

Sep 20, 2008, 5:44 PM
You should have informed the Agent that you are going to us your phone Overseas. In that case you should have bought a Samsung ACE phone.
Wireless Gnome

Mar 7, 2008, 5:29 PM
The Motorola PowerSource ic902 will not work on any other North American wireless carrier except Sprint on their CDMA voice/data network as well as Sprint roaming partners' PCS network and their iDEN one for NDC as Motorola locks the PowerSource ic902 and burns specific firmware into it for Sprint. If you purchased it from one of the Florida corporate retail stores and it has been 30 days or less, cross over the Great North border and return it to the nearest Sprint corporate retail store provided you have the handset in resellable condition along with everything included in the original box. BTW, don't forget the box and your receipt.
SoCalVDub

May 7, 2008, 4:48 PM
What on earth is that all a'boot !?!?!
ZombieJ

May 7, 2008, 8:55 PM
They can likely activate it. Kick up a massive stink, there is someone somewhere along the line that can get that phone working for you.

I don't work for Telus or know for certain how their system works but kicking up a stink with these call center types is usually the best way to get something done.
missangel

May 8, 2008, 5:23 PM
The Powersource ic902 combines CDMA voice and data services with iDEN Direct Connect. Roaming on a PowerSource phone is very limited for voice and data. The phone (cellular service) operates on 1900 CDMA Mhz and only operates on roaming partners who have 1900 Mhz roaming network. The walkie talkie service (direct connect) should work in Canada as it should be able to roam on the Telus IDEN network. The ic902 should not be used as an international phone, since it will only operate on 1900 CDMA and there are only a few international locations with 1900 CDMA coverage.
KioskLife

May 9, 2008, 11:42 AM
Nah... honestly; they won't. People working in the stores tried to do that time and time again and no one in the call centers can do it. Its actually the way the systems are programmed; they can recognize the provider with the ESN of a phone and it blocks out a phone the moment it's not a Telus version of the model. So even if they did sell that particular model, it would still need to be their version and not sprint's.

Sad, but true. ☹️
ZombieJ

May 9, 2008, 8:08 PM
Sounds weird. When I worked for Cingular we had ways around things like that. Usually depending on who was logged into to system you would have different privileges.

I am a pretty big advocate of kicking up a stink because for the most part you either get what you want or eventually you get reason as to why it can't be done beyond the normal scripted nonsense you get from the average phone jockey.

It wouldn't be shocking if you can't 'over ride' the system assuming the phone does work, but it still seems odd. I jsut noticed this message is a few months old so I guess at this point it doesn't matter. OP just has an expensive paper weight.
LV2DETJ

Sep 23, 2008, 6:07 PM
move

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.