Home  ›  Forums  ›

Canada

all discussions

show all 8 replies

911 Emergency Use Only.

pursang

Mar 29, 2008, 11:32 PM
I'm looking for advice from all you seasoned cell phone users, I've never owned a cell phone and I'm interested in buying one for emergency 911 use only, no contracts or the usual activation procedures, I've been told a basic cell phone can be used to reach 911, and the 911 operators agree to calling a roadside service such as BCAA. do you think the Samsung SCH-U410 would be a good choice for this ? the phone would only be used for emergencies.

Thanks in advance.
pursang

Mar 31, 2008, 9:41 PM
I'm looking for advice from all you seasoned cell phone users, I've never owned a cell phone and I'm interested in buying one for emergency 911 use only, no contracts or the usual activation procedures, I've been told a basic cell phone can be used to reach 911, and the 911 operators agree to calling a roadside service such as BCAA. do you think the Samsung SCH-U410 would be a good choice for this ? the phone would only be used for emergencies.
dalily21

Apr 7, 2008, 10:16 PM
if im not mistaken i thought any cell phone that is operable could call 911. like it doesnt even have to be connected to a carrier. i would say to set up a prepay acct just to get a brand new phone with a charger at a discount then disconnect it and keep the phone. hope this helps. good luck
Dj Podmaster

Apr 8, 2008, 8:25 AM
Set up a prepaid just to get the phone as mentioned in the last post. But be aware that 911 Will be the only number you can call after that expires.(30 days) You will also lose the phone # and repeated calling for none emergency purposes of 911 will increase the wait time for an operator. I am assuming your in Canada so go to a national carrier for your phone (bell, telus, rogers, fido) I usually just recommend keeping the pay as you go phone active instead of letting it die so that way you can also call CAA or home if something happens instead of 911. (costs about $11.40 a month after tax in Ontario for the minimum minutes) If the 10 bucks a month is to pricey for you then pay $100 for 12 months (savings of $20 thats four starbucks coffees ...
(continues)
captainplooky

Apr 21, 2008, 4:54 PM
pursang said:
I've been told a basic cell phone can be used to reach 911, and the 911 operators agree to calling a roadside service such as BCAA. do you think the Samsung SCH-U410 would be a good choice for this ? the phone would only be used for emergencies.

Making non emergency calls to an emergency service such as 911 for roadside assistance is selfish at best and dangerous at worst.
mindyjoe

Apr 22, 2008, 4:49 PM
this is very true.....
mapleleaf88

Apr 30, 2008, 7:51 PM
What I would suggest for you is going to Rogers and getting a prepaid package. The reason I would suggest Rogers is that they have an awesome prepaid deal. You put $100 on your account, and that gives you a 5c/min rate (I think that it also gives you 1c/min on weekends, I'm not sure though). It also will not expire for a year.
Dj Podmaster

May 3, 2008, 6:43 AM
When did that pricing start? i worked for rogers until a few weeks ago and never heard of that pricing.
mapleleaf88

May 3, 2008, 6:46 PM
I'm not too sure, I work for TELUS and constantly call people who have it, and like I said, my dad has it as well... so it's been around for at least a month.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.