Phone Scoop

printed October 20, 2014
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=9&fi=1566854

Home  ›  Forums  ›

Canada

Back to message list

Top message:  Who's Canadian by micky69ca   Jan 7, 2008, 8:08 PM

Replying to:  Re: is canuck a putdown or a description? by .Dylan   Jan 15, 2008, 9:34 PM

Re: is canuck a putdown or a description?

by Webb    Jan 20, 2008, 5:22 PM

So, yeah. There's your proof that the term 'Canuck' isn't anywhere near as derogatory as the 'N Word' is down in the states. You'd never see a sports team called the Atlanta 'N Words' or anything like that.

In practice, we use the term more as a point of pride. We are all Canucks. Whereas stateside the 'N word' is a point of division. It's one of those 'us against them' things.

Another telling historical usage of the term is 'Johnny Canuck', which originated as a caricature personification of Canada in political cartoons, kind of like the US 'Uncle Sam' or England's 'John Bull'. A superhero comic book by the same name (in similar vein to Captain America, though without actual super powers) emerged in WWII.

The Canuck was also the name of a Canadian made long-range interceptor in the 1950's, and Canadian versions of the Curtiss Jenny biplane trainer of WWI vintage.

There is a distinct possibility that it was originally intended to be a pejorative term, conjured up by Americans in the same vein as the N Word and 'Injun'. But history has long since robbed it of any insulting connotations. That said, I have personally had Americans call me it with the intent of the term being insulting. Some of them are just a little confused about the world, I guess.

Report to moderator

Replies

No replies to this message

Reply You must log in to reply.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.