Home  ›  Forums  ›

Canada

all discussions

show all 10 replies

wouldja, couldja, shouldja....

ZombieJ

Mar 4, 2007, 8:54 AM
I thought maybe everyone could have a little chuckle at how utterly pathetic my vernacular is. I actually speak like this if I don't make a conscious effort and sometimes even then it can't be stopped.

F*ck me this is lame, I hate having this sh*t pointed out to me.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Breton_accent »

French Acadian accent

This speech stems from the influence of Acadian settlers residing in French communities throughout Cape Breton, resulting in many loanwords.

Some characteristics:

Voiced th, as in "that", is usually replaced by a d sound, and voiceless th, as in "thin," is usually replaced by a t sound. For example, "three" can be pronounced as tree and "that" as dat. This can be seen in
(continues)
tonsofun5610

Mar 4, 2007, 12:31 PM
Don't feel bad, I am originally from Tennessee and can understand the example conversation easily.
ZombieJ

Mar 5, 2007, 10:44 AM
It's not "twangy" though or like some kind of southern drawl. It's quick and in a thick French accent, I'll have to record my voice someday to give an example... or possibly find a clip.

It's quite distinct in the pronunciation but you are right there are similarities - Including lowering our perceived IQ by no less than 20 points as soon as we open our mouths.
tonsofun5610

Mar 5, 2007, 6:18 PM
I was actually forced to lose most of my dialect when I was in school though. I actullay have a B.S. in education.
DigAHole

Mar 5, 2007, 7:41 PM
tonsofun5610 said:
I actullay have a B.S. in education.

Nice
tonsofun5610

Mar 5, 2007, 8:41 PM
🤣 sorry, never said it was in English.
newfette

Mar 4, 2007, 1:57 PM
no wonder they call cape bretoners Newfies who ran outta money on the way to the mainland!
not2brite

Mar 4, 2007, 7:15 PM
Yeah, being a southerner myself, I understood what you said without the translation...
DigAHole

Mar 5, 2007, 11:20 AM
You talk like you're from the projects.
ZombieJ

Mar 5, 2007, 12:19 PM
No. Projects use Ebonics or something bordering on it.

There is no American accent that you can compare it to. Just like I pointed out to another poster while it may look the same phonetically spelled out it doesn't sound the same.
mapleleaf88

Mar 5, 2007, 12:54 PM
We always used to end that conversation with "nah, jwanna?"
Lately I've been catching my Canadianisms while I'm on the phones at work. Words like 'car' make me remind myself of Shaun Majumder.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.