show all 26 replies

Something to chew on.

rogersuser

Jul 20, 2005, 3:38 PM
KCShadowDragon said:

His count down got down to the last couple of minutes when a SEAL, just
released from the Navy after serving in Afghanistan and Iraq and newly
registered in the class, walked up to the Professor. The SEAL hit him full
force in the face, and sent the Professor tumbling from his lofty platform.
The Professor was out cold!! The students were stunned and shocked. They
began to babble in confusion. The SEAL nonchalantly took his seat in the
front row and sat silent. The class looked at him and fell
silent.....waiting. Eventually, the professor came to and was noticeably
shaken. He looked at the SEAL in the front row. When the professor regained
his senses and could speak he asked:

"What the hell is ...
(continues)
themike314

Jul 20, 2005, 4:49 PM
rogersuser said:
KCShadowDragon said:

"God was really busy protecting America's soldiers, who are protecting your
right to say stupid stuff and act like an jerk!!! So he sent me!!"

Why proctecting just America's soldiers? Does the United States have a monopoly on 'god'?

rogersuser said:
Stop them with MTV, McDonalds, CNN, and a taste of the Freedom we enjoy. Help by building roads restoring power, building schools, hospitals, homes. Not by blowing through a city full of terrorists and reducing it to rubble. Break the Hate and you'll break the terrorists.

MTV? McDonald's? Why? Why would people want those things? They're horrible.

You aren't going to br...
(continues)
KCShadowDragon

Jul 20, 2005, 5:00 PM
themike314 said:
rogersuser said:
KCShadowDragon said:

"God was really busy protecting America's soldiers, who are protecting your
right to say stupid stuff and act like an jerk!!! So he sent me!!"

Why proctecting just America's soldiers? Does the United States have a monopoly on 'god'?

Actualy the full story I posted stated the Professor was an avid member of the ACLU. Therefore an American teaching in America. That's why there was a referance only to American soldiers.

Just clearing this one bit up.
rogersuser

Jul 20, 2005, 7:19 PM
What's wrong with the ACLU? All they try to do is a a private organisation is protect the Constitution. I would think that everyone should be a card carrying member.
KCShadowDragon

Jul 20, 2005, 7:25 PM
😳

You are joking right? The ACLU protects one thing... their own interests. They exist to do one thing... advance thier agenda.

They could care less about the Constitution.
themike314

Jul 20, 2005, 7:29 PM
Some of the things they've done is A-O-K.

Other things were pointless.

A lot of it is 😳
jerrydock

Jul 21, 2005, 12:52 PM
Too bad the professor was not me. I am a retired sociology professor (USC) a former UDT ( pre-SEAL) and one of the organizors of Vietnam Veterans Against War. I would have taken him out and continued class. Being sure to tell my students that that kind of narrow-minded ethnocentrism was what got us into the messes we always find ourselves in.

I mourn my fallen comrades who have died trying to shore up corporate interests all over the world. This crap about making America safe is garbage.
ArmySF

Nov 4, 2005, 12:32 AM
🙂 Good grief
Vox Dei

Nov 4, 2005, 5:04 PM
Why did you drag this up about something months ago?
larsie

Jul 21, 2005, 10:05 AM
remind me please why this post is in the canada forum?
rogersuser

Jul 21, 2005, 2:47 PM
Because wether we like it or not we are still the "Dominion of Canada" tied to the British Crown. This was originally posted in the Lounge, however I felt the need to share a Canadian soldiers view point on the issue with Canadians.
ConvergysSlave

Jul 21, 2005, 3:54 PM
The term "dominion," as well as Canada's motto, are commonly attributed to Psalms 72:8 and Zechariah 9:10 of the Bible: "He shall have dominion also from sea to sea, and from the river unto the ends of the earth."
As Canada increasingly acquired political authority and autonomy from the United Kingdom, the federal government increasingly began using the name Canada on official state documents and treaties. The Canada Act 1982 refers merely to Canada and, as such, is the current official shortform (as well as bilingual) name in use. This was also reflected later in 1982 with the renaming of the national holiday from Dominion Day to Canada Day.
Canada is also the official longform name most commonly used. Some contend, however, that usage of...
(continues)
Link

Jul 21, 2005, 5:46 PM
...political nerd...
Vox Dei

Nov 4, 2005, 5:03 PM
I think what he is trying to say (or at least this is what he should be trying to say) is as of 1982 the Queen gave our constitution to us as a Country and as of that year we are nolong a dominion we are now a Country with our own constitiution and the ability to change it. The queen is still the head of our government as she is to the british government but we are in noway tied to the british government other than we have the same Queen.

ps...not that there is anything wrong with the british.
alejandro

Nov 4, 2005, 5:37 PM
tea sipping limey bastards.
knowledge

Jul 21, 2005, 11:40 AM
I'm not going to say that this topic is not interesting or should be ignored - but i agree with larsie... why is this in a Canadian forum, and why was it posted in here by a Canadian user?
ZombieJ

Jul 21, 2005, 1:12 PM
This is probably going to set a few people off. But I think we can trace pretty much every evil back to religion. And as such I firmly believe that if their was no religion the world would be a better and more "moral" place. But unfortunately this Utopia does not exist so we just have to sit back and watch people tear **** up in the name of, "insert red herring here". I'd love to go off on a giant rant about Western politics and ideologies and the merits of Evolutionary Biology against say, oh --- the bible Koran, or whatever else you read to make yourself feel better that 'johnny' died so young --- but I have to go eat. Perhaps I'll come back and write more if this elicits any kind of response other than agreement.
rep12345

Jul 21, 2005, 1:28 PM
as much as i don't believe in organized religion, there are many eastern cultures who don't have the violence we have in our western society and they have different religions. the key is social acceptance, not the ban of religions.
rogersuser

Jul 21, 2005, 2:57 PM
rep12345 you are correct. While religion can beed intolerance, most have adopted policies on social acceptance. Muslims Jews Christians, Hindu's, Kurds. Everyone that has lived long enough in the West, (More Canada, and UK) then the more tolerant they tend to be.
larsie

Jul 21, 2005, 4:15 PM
isn't sad that we now have to "tolerate" other peoples beliefs. if anything we should have trouble with tolerating what we as individuals believe ourselves. if that makes sense.
bluesnot

Jul 22, 2005, 1:35 AM
It makes sense.
I don't tolerate others' beliefs.
I embrace them.
I love learning about everyone's culture and religion.
I beleive that no one religion is right. You sort of have to combine them all and weed out the bullshit. Every religion has some good and some bad. It's just a matter of figuring it out.
ZombieJ

Jul 21, 2005, 3:08 PM
Obviously were never going to have a world without violence. Everything about life in general is violent, from a predator built to kill chasing down a defenseless animal and killing it for survival or a human taking another mans life into his own hands. It's not going to go away, Utopia was a strong word, I don't want to give the impression everything will be pink and fluffy. Thats just foolish. No one is talking about a ban on religion, that would cause an uproar.. The best defense against religion is education. Making sure that people know the Theory of Evolution is stricken down just because it has the word theory in it, where as creationism and other more general religious beliefs are merely a hypothesis'. Where Evolution started with a ...
(continues)
GILDAR

Nov 4, 2005, 11:44 AM
Religon in genral is a very beutiful thing no matter what one thinks...it is when one or a hand full take it to the extream that is when it becomes very violant...as they say absolute power corruots abbsolutly...
everman

Nov 4, 2005, 12:05 PM
Religion in general is specifically the most destructive force on the face of the planet.
alejandro

Nov 4, 2005, 1:53 PM
and if absolute power corrupts absolutely, how can god be decent? (i have been using that for years, its great to have it validated with a religious person saying it)
ZombieJ

Nov 4, 2005, 3:43 PM
Testify !

I already weighed in on this thread so I'm not gonna bother again.
craptacularwireless

Nov 5, 2005, 8:09 PM
Religion is not the most destructive thing on this planet, we humans are. We invented religion.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.