Home  ›  Forums  ›

Canada

all discussions

show all 22 replies

what fo you think of number portability in canada

jay2341ca

May 15, 2005, 10:07 AM
I want to get some feed back on number portability and which carrier will get the best of this deal?????
lil_britney

May 16, 2005, 9:57 AM
Is number portability available in Canada now?
I'd love to take my number with me to a new provider 😛
jay2341ca

May 22, 2005, 4:11 PM
it will be avaliabe by the end of this year
cingularreppy

Jun 9, 2005, 10:49 PM
awesome that is kool to bad majority of canada service runs though CDMA casue CDMA is not as good as GSM i dont think
Vox Dei

Jun 9, 2005, 11:10 PM
Too much propaganda from AWS and now cingular i think you have. CDMA has a number of advantages over GSM which include range of the towers and security of the call. GSM does have on or two advantages such as penetration in high interference zones but for my money the CDMA's advantages out way the GSM's.
Punk0Rama

Jun 10, 2005, 12:06 AM
uhh, gsm can work on 4 different frequenices, two of which match or nearly match (within 50 hz) of the CDMA frequenices. GSM also allows for much faster data transfer.

if CDMA was better than GSM, why has the entire world used GSM since 1994?
jay2341ca

Jun 10, 2005, 9:40 AM
it not which srvc is better is the persons preference on which carrier will give them the best deal for their money but with the plan i have with bell i would like a company to match that paln dollar for dollar ->$45 for 700 minutes and N&Ws @9pm and 20 free calls to one number (very limited time offer from bell) which they don't even offer at this time also the new plans they have are very expensive and i think when Number portablity comes out they will try and match the plans to get cust to switch to them
Letsgopense

Jun 18, 2005, 2:49 PM
I think LNP is good, becasue it forces the carriers to be more competitive.
canadiantechgirl

Jul 22, 2005, 8:57 PM
I can't wait for number portability. I work in the industry on the frontlines, and believe me, Everyone wants to switch. If number portability occurs, this will force all the carriers to bring rate plans and services down to a minimum so that they can make a sail. obviously people will head for the best coverage, best rate plan. buzz me back for a good phone deal. 😉
Link

Jul 22, 2005, 10:15 PM
Do you people realize the dire consequences of this!?!?!? When LNP hit, we had everyone and their mom disputing the full month of service charges. Now that sups are folding, we are giving the unused portions back. I just hope Rogers is more strict then how Cingular has become. People do not realize the meaning of MONTHLY service.
cellhound

Aug 5, 2005, 5:18 PM
THIS IS WHAT IS GOT WHEN I EMAILED THE CRTC// NOT A WHOLE LOT AS USUAL . . . . . . 😈 😳
cellhound

Aug 5, 2005, 5:19 PM
Thank you for taking the time to contact the CRTC.
Currently, Local Number Portability is available to customers of wireless service companies in Canada that have undertaken to comply with the requirements to become Competitive Local Exchange Carriers (CLECs). You can consult the list of registered CLECs at the following address: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/ENG/public/8180-8.htm

There is some consumer demand for wireless number portability in Canada, mainly from subscribers who extensively advertise their cellular telephone number for business or social purposes and seek to change wireless service provider. As part of its 3-year Work Plan, the Commission identified wireless number portability implementation in fiscal year 2005-2006. The Work ...
(continues)
Vox Dei

Jun 19, 2005, 10:59 AM
Because it's LAW. In the EU they are only allowed GSM. And i'm not sure who told you the data was faster in GSM but that's not true. CDMA 1x is much faster than GSM and EDGE. Only the UDMA is faster than 1x and even so the EV-DO will match that. CDMA also has a much better bandwith usage which is something that is going to start causing some consern very quickly as more and more people start using cell phones. As for the frequencies i'm not sure how that has to do with anything. The only thing that has to do with is licensing. You can make any technology work an ony frequency (given some limits)
larsie

Jul 19, 2005, 3:45 PM
Punk0Rama said:
uhh, gsm can work on 4 different frequenices, two of which match or nearly match (within 50 hz) of the CDMA frequenices. GSM also allows for much faster data transfer.

if CDMA was better than GSM, why has the entire world used GSM since 1994?

not to mention the fact that if you have cdma service in n. america you're restricted to use in n. america. you have a gsm phone you can pretty much use it anywhere there a gsm network.
newfette

Jun 12, 2005, 3:39 PM
I think it's great!!!!
Can't wait to call Telus and tell them to shov it up their ass..
Me.. i'm going to shaw when to VOIP is up and running in my area.. was told about 6 months...
CAN'T WAIT.. CAN'T WAIT... CAN'T WAIT
😈
albertacountrygirl

Jun 15, 2005, 11:44 PM
I think either Bell or Fido will benifit the most from local number portability. I think Telus Wireless will go bankrupt, and the same with Rogers. Bell has awsesome rate plans, same with Fido (although I've never had Fido).. but it'd be nice to have LNP because when I'm mad at Bell, I have a bargaining chip "Gimmie what I want or I take your number to ____*insert company name here*___ and you can shove the early termination fee straight up your ***!" 🤣 🤣 😁
ConvergysSlave

Jun 16, 2005, 5:31 PM
If LNP came into play and it began to hurt companies they would change their plans to be competitive.
Also Fido is owned by Rogers, meaning if Fido wins so does Rogers.
Vox Dei

Jun 18, 2005, 11:20 AM
Why do you think Telus would go bankrupt? Telus currently has the most adds per last quarter with the lowest number of cancels (1.1%). I think Telus will do the best with LNP when it comes and bell will be right behind them. Fido i think will loose out the most except in Vancouver as people will start to change because of poor coverage even with Rogers system. GSM's big problem is coverage. They need way more towers to cover the same area as a CDMA system and frankly there is a lot of canada.
ConvergysSlave

Jun 18, 2005, 5:09 PM
GSM will not die. I've never had a problem with a dropped call ever, or an area without coverage. Most Canadians live in the cities. I thinnk LNP is hard to predict. It hurts and helps all companies. Just encourages churn.
larsie

Jul 19, 2005, 4:15 PM
agree or disagree:

its going to boil down to customer type.

the effect will be that companies will begin to specialize. customers will go to (and bring their numbers with them) to the provider that has what they need. if they don't care where or if they'll get service they'll go to whoever has the best deals or cheapest plans and phones etc. if they need service everywhere ex: travel a lot, then they'll go with whoever can provide the largest range of coverage.

my predictions are that telus, fido, and the smaller guys like virgin etc. will gain the most from a regular consumer base. bell and rogers will corner the market (more so) for the business/corporate portion of the industry.
but as far as big business goes probably rogers ma...
(continues)
adrenaline

Jul 23, 2005, 9:55 AM
i think LNP in canada is a horrible idea, and a great idea. i live in saskatchewan, where the largest mobile providers are rogers and sasktel. sasktel is a crown corp (owned and run by the provincial government), and it would really suck if LNP went into effect because it would probably hurt sasktel as rogers has flashy phones.

on the other hand, it would make companies drop their prices quite a bit.
cellhound

Aug 5, 2005, 5:20 PM
NOTHING NEW JUST REPOSTING DOWN THE LIST...

Thank you for taking the time to contact the CRTC.
Currently, Local Number Portability is available to customers of wireless service companies in Canada that have undertaken to comply with the requirements to become Competitive Local Exchange Carriers (CLECs). You can consult the list of registered CLECs at the following address: http://www.crtc.gc.ca/ENG/public/8180-8.htm

There is some consumer demand for wireless number portability in Canada, mainly from subscribers who extensively advertise their cellular telephone number for business or social purposes and seek to change wireless service provider. As part of its 3-year Work Plan, the Commission identified wireless number portability i...
(continues)
Vox Dei

Aug 5, 2005, 5:33 PM
End of 2005 or beginning of 2006. That's what everyone has been saying for a while. Companys have been quoting this for a long time. I think canadian companys wanted to see all the flops with US LNP's so they can avoid most of them ;)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.