Home  ›  Forums  ›

Canada

all discussions

disposable phones or sim cards?

TANYA

Feb 11, 2005, 5:30 PM
hi, just wondering if you have any info or website recommendations for comparisons for service in BC for a temporary (couple of months-long) stay. unfortunately, our american carrier charges an arm and a leg or two, so we cannot use them. i was told that we might be able to just buy a sim card for temporary use, but i wouldn't know how to go about choosing one. if anyone can do a simple comparison of "pay as you go" company plans vs an actual sim card, i would very much appreciate it.

thank you for any help! 🙂 🙂
Cruisin1966

Mar 11, 2005, 9:36 AM
If you have an unlocked phone, buy a sim card for Rogers, and do the Pay as you go plan. I had a friend lend me a GSM phone the other day, I went to Radio Shack and purchased a sim card, and activated it ($10) through Rogers Anytime pay as you go plan (33 cents/min).
Cruisin1966

Mar 11, 2005, 9:40 AM
Oh, forgot to mention, the sim card is $25
WesternCanadian

Apr 14, 2005, 12:33 AM
Hi Tanya. Comparisons are not easy, I've found, but there are 3 main carriers you can check, if mainly in Vancouver or Victoria:

GSM technology (uses SIM cards, but you must have an UNLOCKED GSM phone):

www.rogers.com (click on "Wireless", then look for "Pay as You Go")

www.fido.ca (look at "Packages & Svcs." and/or "Prepaid Service")

CDMA technology (subsidary of telephone co., dedicated phones, excellent coverage most everywhere!):

www.telusmobility.com (look on left for "Pay & Talk" or "Rate Plans"; promos are good but generally only available with 1 or more year contract; can be expensive)

REMEMBER that Canadian cellular plans (monthly or prepaid) seldom include LD, just airtime. LD costs vary from carrier to carrier ...
(continues)

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.