Home  ›  Forums  ›

Canada

all discussions

Newfoundland Coverage

noord

Jan 28, 2005, 11:25 AM
I am traveling to Newfoundland in September and I am curious on the GSM coverage in the area. I will be based in St Johns but traveling around the area for about two weeks.

Looks like Fido (GSM 1900) has a small footprint in St Johns/Mount Pearl. Rogers (GSM 850/1900) seams to have a large footprint in the area.

I am on Cingular GSM in USA with 850/1800/1900 Nokia 6230.

Anyone in that area have coverage feedback?

Thanks...
mayoman

Mar 7, 2005, 2:05 AM
I was up there with my family last June and my parents (who had ATT at the time) got no coverage whatsoever. All they got was some 'international roaming network' message. I have sprint and my sister has verizon neither of which worked at all (roaming or digital) in the area. Hope this helps.
elmo01

Apr 9, 2005, 12:05 PM
mayoman said:
I was up there with my family last June and my parents (who had ATT at the time) got no coverage whatsoever. All they got was some 'international roaming network' message. I have sprint and my sister has verizon neither of which worked at all (roaming or digital) in the area. Hope this helps.

both of those services are CDMA... you would have had to activate international roaming prior to leaving
elmo01

Apr 9, 2005, 12:04 PM
noord said:
I am traveling to Newfoundland in September and I am curious on the GSM coverage in the area. I will be based in St Johns but traveling around the area for about two weeks.

Looks like Fido (GSM 1900) has a small footprint in St Johns/Mount Pearl. Rogers (GSM 850/1900) seams to have a large footprint in the area.

I am on Cingular GSM in USA with 850/1800/1900 Nokia 6230.

Anyone in that area have coverage feedback?

Thanks...

being one of the many who answer the phone for Cingular... you will be roaming on Rogers while you are on the rock...do you have a pre merger plan or did you migrate to the new plans?

here is the link for the coverage map

http://www.shoprogers.com/store »...
(continues)
elmo01

Apr 9, 2005, 12:13 PM
I should have added....

are you flying in or driving across the island?

if you are driving from Port Au Basques (the ferry terminal) you will in all likelihood have no signal until you are near the Avalon Peninsula (St Johns area)... thew major carrier in that neck of the woods is Aliant Mobility... a CDMA provider....(like sprint or nextel in the USA)... that coverage will be almost everywhere populated... I drove across last summer had signal in *most* places but then again I have a CDMA phone...

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.