Home  ›  Forums  ›

Canada

all discussions

show all 26 replies

Need guidance on cell providers... Bell, Fido, Rogers... Mike

lucky13

Dec 28, 2004, 11:13 PM
I cuurently have 2 cell accounts - Mike Telus and Bell Mobilty.

I noticed that now is the time where the cell phone providers are not going the extra mile for their customers - rate plans are expensive for people like me who use alot of talk time.

I'm thinking of dumping my Bell Contract to go to Fido (City Fido).

Can anyone give me some advice please? 😁
cpc3676

Dec 29, 2004, 3:48 PM
Shop around, know about the company your dealing with, and read the fine print twice.
lucky13

Dec 29, 2004, 3:52 PM
Thanks.

Who are you with? Are you happy with your provider?
cpc3676

Dec 29, 2004, 4:28 PM
I am with T-mobile. I could be happier. Basically they give me cell phone service and I give them money. Pretty basic average stuff. I guess they could buy my happiness but I never really had an issue. I really like the fact that I can talk for THOUSANDS of minuites and pay 60 bucks a month.
zoya

Jun 5, 2005, 1:16 PM
I'm with Fido.. I like them. I was with Telus back when they had crap for selection of phones, and losing the one I had (Samsung540) which I loved.. the phoe was 2 years old, and to replace it was going to cost me almost $275 bucks.. not within contract renewal. So I decided to give Fido a try again.. I love the fact they have the month to month services..(Not prepaid) My plan is 350 daytime.. unlimited N&W and 250 Long Distance to US and Canada. Costs me $45 a month.. I can't complain about it.. it seems to be the average price in Canada to pay. Though I have been thinking about dropping it to the $25 a month.. unlimited incoming minutes.. 100 daytime outbound and 1000 M&W outbound. I did have Bell, they are one of the best, I would l...
(continues)
screaminglife

Dec 31, 2004, 7:21 PM
if u are gonna move to city fido i advise going quickly! as of January 5th 2005 cityfido's monthly rate of $45 will not include system access fee, for new activations. So one will have to pay 51.95 a month. Nobody can beat this rate for unlimited local calling + per second billing makes this the ebst deal hands-down rite now. You can get the Motorola V400 for $150 now with $50 gift certificate from a bestbuy store so hurry
lucky13

Jan 1, 2005, 1:09 AM
Thanks alot.

Can you explain the gift certificate you mentioned?
lucky13

Jan 1, 2005, 12:09 PM
"screaminglife"

I read how you praised Telus over ROGERS and how you recommended City FIDO.

All I'm concerned about is alot of taLK time and incredible reception. Can you or someone help me out.
😕
screaminglife

Jan 11, 2005, 8:33 PM
sure. TELUS doesn't have anything that compares with cityfido, thats why if you want a lotta talk time go with FIDO, The advantage of going with cityfido is not only do you get unltd calling but for an extra $5 you can run off rogers service so reception should be satisfactory. If you do decide to opt for FIDO then january 12th is deadline before pricing changes, after the 12th u will hafta pay 6.95 fee + 50 cent emergency charge monthly on top of reg $45. In your case get Cityfido and if you want a good phone go with the MOTO V400 or you could purchase a free fone on 2 year contract and sell it to somebody and buy n unlocked GSM phone for yourself, that way you get a nice phone for youself and you save a bit of money too.

Sorry bout no...
(continues)
lucky13

Jan 12, 2005, 1:08 AM
Thanks screaminglife.

I signed up with Fido last week. I didn't know about the extra $5 to run off rogers service. I'll call them tomorrow.

I'm also a proud owner of a Motorola V80. I love this phone and I love bluetooth. 😁
cpc3676

Jan 12, 2005, 5:01 PM
What do you use your bluetooth for?
lucky13

Jan 13, 2005, 7:23 AM
Bluetooth is a wireless connection.

I use Bluetooth to send information from my Palm to my phone - I can click on a contact in my address book on my Palm and my phone will dial the number.

I also use a Bluetooth ear piece. Its an ear piece I use with my phone that has no wire attached to my phone like other traditional ear pieces. I can answer calls anywhere throughout the office while leaving my cell on my desk.

I love Bluetooth. 🙂
screaminglife

Jan 28, 2005, 7:33 PM
lucky13,

where did u purchase teh V80 from, independant or regular kiosk/inline store? A friend of mine wants to purchase a GSM service with fido with the V80 and wanted to know where you had gotten the deal.

thanks
lucky13

Jan 29, 2005, 9:00 AM
I'm located in Toronto. I purchased the Motorola v80 from a store in town that sells GSM phones - that's all they do is sell GSM phones.
stolenhalo

Jun 23, 2005, 2:44 PM
😢 I mis Toronto,I lived there for 8 years....Where can I get a call center job there?

*sniff* Aww the Horseshoe,the CNE,Queen Street West,Amato's pizza and all the girls who look like cover models.....

I miss my city.
zoya

Jun 5, 2005, 1:18 PM
Fido is great for coverage now.. they picked up the Rogers towers.. and for free unlike when the original plan was to charge Fido $5 bucks a month to use the Rogers towers.. boy did I complain about that..lol.
SgtFlaman

Feb 15, 2005, 3:47 AM
I did some checking around at some canadian carriers today for my eventual move back home to Saskatchewan. Checked out Rogers, Sasktel, Telus and Fido. They do have some mutually exclusive phones and a couple of features are the same, but as a whole they all share one thing in common: an emphasis on nights and weekends. Take Rogers for example.

Evening and Weekend plans. Their 'mega time' plan for $20 gives you 100 weekday with free nights and weekends with nights being 8pm to 7am. For $5 you can get the Early Evening which extends nights to 6pm to 7am for 100 daytime minutes still.

Take their most expensive plan for the Nights/Weekends. For $35 you get 200 daytime with free offpeak. I'm also assuming that is strictly local calling wit...
(continues)
WesternCanadian

Apr 13, 2005, 7:40 PM
Hi SgtF. Unfortunately, Cdn. carriers are moving to much shorter evening hours, for which you have to pay extra if you want more like 6pm to 8am. It's all just a scam to increase their revenues on the back of customers, with damned little real competition!

We have had Rogers promo plan from a couple of years ago that included unltd. nights/weekends, running 6pm-8am. I haven't seen comparable hours for awhile now (from any carrier/provider), altho there might be the odd promo with those kind of hours again.

Fortunately, Rogers will continue your plan (even if it's discontinued) at the same rates/hours/etc., after your contract expires, so good plans can be kept.
WesternCanadian

Apr 13, 2005, 7:42 PM
Oops, forgot to mention that Canadian carriers/providers do NOT offer LD-included plans without charging an arm & a leg!

There was a time that Cdn. plans were cheaper than many USA cell plans, but not anymore, if one considers roaming and/or LD.

I guess I'm just glad we're not in Europe, where the costs are REALLY high.
screaminglife

May 3, 2005, 7:22 AM
gone are the good ol' days of clearnet with its per second billing, great reception and amazing rate plans
stolenhalo

Jun 23, 2005, 10:56 AM
Yeah,how about that old "Talk Halifax" plan? Anyone remember that? people are selling them for upwards of 1500.00 dollars!
zoya

Jun 5, 2005, 1:25 PM
Fido.. $45 a month.. 350 daytime minutes/ Unlimited N&W 7pm-7am/ 250 minutes Long Distance to the US and Canada.. This has been so far the only provider that I've seen with any kind of long distance inluded in the plan currently.. they do have higher plans if you need more minutes during the day time.. and now Fido customers are not having to pay the $5 a month to use the Rogers network.. at first it was a 3 month promo.. I've been with Fido almost a year, 5 months after the Rogers buying Fido.. and I'm still not paying the extra for the extended Rogers coverage... 🤣 🤣
ALLlmightyCSR

Mar 9, 2005, 8:53 PM
buy a cingular US phone and get north american plan candian companies are all tight with minutes and tech is far behind US
WesternCanadian

Apr 13, 2005, 10:09 PM
Even after the exchange rate, it's likely that a good US plan can be found at lower overall cost for higher-minute users and/or those who use a lot of long distance... but, why buy a Cingular phone when any unlocked GSM phone can be used on their network?

Since the phones all come from the same manufacturers, how can Canadian tech be "far behind" the US? Canadian carrier, Rogers, was the first north american carrier to implement GSM system-wide, far ahead of the US carriers. On what are you basing your "tech is far behind" comment?
elmo01

Apr 16, 2005, 6:20 AM
WesternCanadian said:
Even after the exchange rate, it's likely that a good US plan can be found at lower overall cost for higher-minute users and/or those who use a lot of long distance... but, why buy a Cingular phone when any unlocked GSM phone can be used on their network?

Since the phones all come from the same manufacturers, how can Canadian tech be "far behind" the US? Canadian carrier, Rogers, was the first north american carrier to implement GSM system-wide, far ahead of the US carriers. On what are you basing your "tech is far behind" comment?

its not really far behind... the american consumer standard is get a new phone as often as you can for as little as possible ( trust me I deal with ...
(continues)
WesternCanadian

Apr 18, 2005, 6:51 PM
Some USA carriers have geographic limits on their free domestic roaming, while others do not (or certain plans do not).

For people who travel & want to use their cell other than at home, a country-wide free domestic roaming plan is great... and even better if long distance is included with all the airtime minutes. These "all inclusive" plans in the USA tend to be cheaper than they are in Canada. However, none are really cheap.

One big difference with the Canadian telco cellular subsidiaries like Telus and Bell (vs. the independent cellular companies like Rogers and Fido) is that they often charge long distance for calls to destinations that are more than 30 miles (48 kms) from the calling location (same policy as the telcos). Howeve...
(continues)
malamatenios

May 5, 2005, 2:23 PM
actually this is not always true. Fido has the smallest local calling area. Bell and Rogers tend to have the biggest on average. In Montreal Bell's local calling area is double what rogers hasto offer. It all depends where ther main tower is situated.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.