printed September 30, 2014
See this page online at:
http://www.phonescoop.com/forums/forum.php?fm=m&ff=8&fi=952427

Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

Back to message list

PDA Phone & Carrier Choice for FL (USA) and Panama

by directjj    Jan 2, 2007, 10:01 PM

I'll be switching Cell Phone services and getting a new PDA type phone with Internet eMail, Motorola Q, or Blackberry or something.

Since I plan to visit Panama, maybe spend some time down there and retire there in a few years I'm wondering if there is an inexpensive way to use the same Cell Phone in both Panama and the USA (FL).

E.G. an Unlocked Phone?

I was told by Verizon and Sprint that I should talk to Cingular or T-Mobil because their phones are GSM phones and V & S are not and therefore can not be made to work in Panama.

Still Cingular is talking $1.99 a minute or $2.29 a minute with or without their International Roaming package.

Now a days the cell phone companies sell 'locked' phones so you can only use the phone they sell you with their service.

I remember my first cell phone was purchased stand alone and was a dual NAM phone and technically I could have had two different cell services active on that phone at the same time, at least here in the states.

Currently I have a flat rate cell phone (MetroPCS) famous for low flat rate and bad signal.

If I can't use the same phone I buy here in the states in Panama without $1.99 roaming charges ( I assume this is for local calls to Panama from Panama – as well as Long Distance International calls back to the USA) what do you recommend.

Short term Cell Phone rental for local calls in and around Panama?

If I buy another cell phone with a long term contract in Panama and am only in Panama 30 days a year till I retire that would seem to be pretty expensive.

My land line is Voice over IP (talk over the Internet) but even if Vonage offers service in Panama, I would need an Internet Connection to talk that way.

Report to moderator

Replies

Reply You must log in to reply.

Back to message list

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Twitter Phone Scoop on Facebook Phone Scoop on Google+ Subscribe to Phone Scoop on YouTube Follow on Instagram

All content Copyright 2001-2014 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.