Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

Two-week trip to Spain; need phone advice

alicia

Jan 1, 2007, 9:53 AM
In February I'll be in Spain for two weeks and will need an emergency cell phone. I don't expect to receive calls from the US except in case of emergency, and calls within Spain would also be sporadic, but I will need to know that I have service available if need be. I use Cingular and currently have an LG 1300, which doesn't have 900 or 1800 rating, which Frommer's says I need for Europe. I'm not adverse to updating my phone, but don't want to go to a phone with lots of whistles and bells that I don't need (or want ... i.e., camera) just to do this. Any advice? Thanks!
mrcamp

Jan 1, 2007, 1:08 PM
You can pick up either a phone with the 900/1800 bamd or just go ahead and buy a quad-band with all 4 GSM bands for a reasonable price on ebay. Going with the latter means you can also use the phone here with Cingular. Just make sure it's unlocked. If you are out of contract with cingular, you can get quite a few quad bands for free by signing a 2 year contract. I just got a Moto SLVR L7 with itunes for free by doing just that.
ralph_on_me

Jan 2, 2007, 6:35 PM
If it's emergency use only then you can just turn on the roaming agreement feature with Cingy and of course upgrade to a quad band phone. Getting a prepaid phone isn't the cheapest means of service if you never plan on using it. If you do think you'll use it frequently while there, that would be cheaper in the long run.

I suggest getting the LG CU400. It's a quad band GSM, but also has dual band UMTS. Even if you don't need the UMTS now it'll free you up to use those services in the future if one ever becomes appealing without having to change your handset again.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.