Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 12 replies

Japanese phone help

Hayate

Sep 9, 2006, 1:14 PM
Which Japanese cell phone providers use SIM cards? I know Cingular has a partnership with DoCoMo for international roaming with our phones, but their phones don't use SIM cards. I'm going to Japan in March and planned on shopping for a phone but need to know which company's phones will work with Cingular.
alejandro

Sep 10, 2006, 11:43 AM
No idea, my phone is korean.
Hayate

Sep 10, 2006, 1:25 PM
Are Korean phones really good? I checked out a lot of Japanese phones last time I was in Japan but didn't end up buying one because I didn't know which ones could be unlocked and such. And I've seen a lot of European phones here at the kiosk that are amazing too. But I haven't seen any Korean phones, as far as I'm aware...
furkitfox

Sep 10, 2006, 3:16 PM
Ask Crisit
alejandro

Sep 11, 2006, 9:22 AM
I was just kidding, It's an american LG, it was just made in korea. I wanted to be able to say iIhad a Chinese phone but i don't : (
Hayate

Sep 11, 2006, 1:14 PM
Ah...I was trying to figure out why you'd have a Korean phone because I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about Korean phones being nice...
sangyup81

Sep 16, 2006, 11:10 AM
Either you are saying Korean phones are not nice or people just don't know that Korean phones are nice.

You can watch Satellite TV on Korean phones and Korea was the birthplace of the Chocolate Phone.
katrina

Dec 24, 2006, 2:22 PM
I had the Chinese Nokia 3250... I loved being able to type with both PinYin and the character strokes on the keypad :-)
Riiktar

Oct 13, 2006, 4:06 PM
As far as I know, no phone would work. They have different frequencies there. If you find a phone that has american/UK standard bands, and they run off sim...you could unlock it. I don't think they do. They are years up on us.
wombough

Apr 9, 2007, 3:07 PM
they use mostly WCDMA for both voice and data. Some areas use CDMA 2000 however they are a different freq then used here. So even a cdma phone won't work. They have no GSM what so ever in the country. They are more then years ahead of us!!!!
ralph_on_me

Oct 16, 2006, 10:10 AM
bring your SIM card and pop it into it. If it gets a signal you're gold.
Leandra48

Dec 15, 2006, 1:45 AM
Cingular now sells 3G phones, those will work in Japan.
dansan

Apr 6, 2007, 3:45 AM
As far as I know, you cannot buy a cell phone in Japan: they only sell them LOCKED to their service. So, if you want to buy one there, you also have to subscribe there.
I have an unlocked Nokia N70 i purchased on the internet. Use T-mobile for service (in the US). I asked T-mobile to register my phone for international use (free but takes several days), and now, no matter where I go (Europe, China, Japan) the phone switches automatically and finds whatever local network to connect... Best,

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.