Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 8 replies

Roaming suggestions for africa (among other locations)

robertfranz

Oct 25, 2006, 3:19 PM
My boss travels internationally about 50% of the time, much to S. America and African countries, but also Netherlands, Denmark etc.

In the US, we use VZW and internationally he uses tmo.

Rates vary from .99/min to 4.99 typically - but I'd like to know if anyone has any recommendations for carriers that service a good chunk of these areas a bit cheaper.

If it's not much difference, we probably don't want to juggle a 3rd phone - if it's significant - we might.

Last roaming bill was about $900 - probably just th cost of doing business - but hey - if I can shave off $500 a month and be a big hero it would be just mahvelous...
sangyup81

Oct 25, 2006, 5:48 PM
Which countries in Africa and South America?

I'm sure he doesn't go to every one of them
robertfranz

Oct 25, 2006, 5:53 PM
Ethiopia, Rwanda, Malawi, Kenya, Columbia, Nicaragua, El Salvador, Panama, Guatemala.

Basically, world wide coffee sources and markets.
mrcamp

Oct 26, 2006, 4:16 AM
Check out and post to the international forum below and research the international cards there.

Personally, I have United Mobile and GlobalSim. And have used both extensively. Just recently came back from a 3 country trip where I spent most of the time in Nigeria. Both of them worked flawlessly, especially the Globalsim. Another new comer is Yackie MObile...but they are very new and are experiencing some issue sright now.

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/ »
robertfranz

Oct 27, 2006, 12:13 PM
You know, the more I look at this the more I'm thinking a sat phone may be the way to go.

His african jaunts are subsaharan - gsm is iffy in places and if he ends up carrying a thrid phone, it should be one that will *always* work.

Iridium has $0.99/min rates depending on the plan . Apparently, you get royally hosed calling *to* the sat phone - but it would be cheaper calling for outgoing calls and we could reach him if it were critical.
sangyup81

Oct 27, 2006, 1:46 PM
I would have to agree with the Satellite phone idea. You would know what you are getting with it at least.

So at $0.99 a minute, he would have to use 900 minutes to get to that $900 mark. I'm sure he used less than that last time if the rates topped out at $4.99. Go be a hero now!
sangyup81

Oct 27, 2006, 1:52 PM
Globalstar is a lot cheaper for when he travels to South America but they don't help for Africa.

www.globalstar.com
robertfranz

Oct 27, 2006, 3:44 PM
I looked at globalstar at first until I realized they are a northern hemisphere act. Probably a few high orbit sats instead of the leo grid Iridium is based on.

For S/A, I even considered a movistar account, since they seem to have roaming agreements thoughout the region, then realized that no option short of carrying a dozen phones is really going to impact the per min rate a whole lot.
mrcamp

Oct 27, 2006, 12:50 PM
Yackie mobile claims to works in all the countries listed. But, like I said earlier, they are new. So, may be you can get a hold of yackie and test it out.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.