Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 8 replies

Vodafone

SmartSprint

Sep 4, 2006, 3:50 PM
So uh.. Does Vodafone own everything?!

Can someone please explain to me the extent of power vodafone has over the wireless industry everywhere?
GodHatesMe

Sep 4, 2006, 3:55 PM
They stole Darth Vader from Wal-Mart with a lucrative corporate offer. He helped build their empire until China Mobile hired him on. Since then Darth Vader has been using his salary from China Mobile (Now the largest mobile service provider) to rebuild the Death Star.
scotsboyuk

Oct 4, 2006, 8:30 AM
Vodafone owns a number of networks around the world, and as a result they arguably wield a great deal of power in the mobile industry. Their main 'power base', if it can be called that, would be in Europe.

They own 45% of Verizon Wireless, but I imagine they would love to be able to ditch their Verizon stake if they could gain control of an American GSM network. They bid for AT&T, but Cingular outbid them.
shleeban

Oct 5, 2006, 12:33 PM
why would they want gsm? isnt their main networks wcdma.... they already have the fastest growing cell company in america... why would they wanna buy a gsm carrier... total waste of money... and besides... wasnt ATT Tdma....
nextel18

Oct 5, 2006, 7:29 PM
It does not really make a difference with technology it seems these days because there are GSM/IDEN devices and there are CDMA/GSM devices and obviously Sprint merged with Nextel so I mean it doesn’t really matter that much. It matters mostly of who grows the quickest and who has the prospects, assets and management to grow in the future. I think T-Mobile and Sprint fit in those categories I just mentioned.
scotsboyuk

Oct 16, 2006, 7:37 PM
Vodafone uses GSM and WCDMA, WCDMA (UMTS) being the upgrade path for GSM. Most of Vodafone's customers still use GSM. The handsets Vodafone sells around the world are either GSM or GSM/UMTS.

An American GSM network would be very useful to Vodafone. A GSM network would fit in with the rest of their global network, and would be far from a waste of money.
nextel18

Oct 5, 2006, 7:27 PM
Well, they would want to gain a company 100% outright that has a future to grow and I don’t think any GSM company out there perhaps maybe T-mobile suits that elite GSM company here in the USA especially scoring swath of spectrum, but Voda could also be looking at Sprint since Wimax is starting to be deployed in many areas worldwide and that would add a global Wimax footprint to the mix. Therefore, that means companies internationally will start to look to grow. Sprint is very attractive.
scotsboyuk

Oct 21, 2006, 5:51 PM
I doubt Vodafone would be interested in Sprint for WiMax. Vodafone have shown no sign of implementing WiMax on any of their networks. I think Vodafone will probably end up choosing an OFDM technology as their 4G upgrade path.
nextel18

Oct 23, 2006, 7:53 PM
Perhaps but Vodafone wants a company that will grow and data will be the future and why not have a global Wimax product? It makes sense.

They will sell out of their stake soon, because there is no point of keeping it for so long plus when VZW does not have growth in prepaid and data.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.