Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 11 replies

Do most overseas carriers sell unlocked phones?

Wireless Consultant

Oct 2, 2006, 10:14 AM
Am I to assume that the United States is the only country that locks the phones?
dca

Oct 2, 2006, 1:48 PM
Among other reasons, handset subsidies have a lot to play in why phones released in the US are locked to a particular carrier...
Wireless Consultant

Oct 2, 2006, 2:34 PM
But should I assume that all or most phones that come from another country are unlocked GSM phones.
dca

Oct 3, 2006, 1:40 PM
I wouldn't assume anything, you need to be a little more specific on the 'phone that comes from another country' thing...

If you're intending on getting a GSM phone from a buddy from Europe who was on Orange or some other carrier's network T-Mobile, whatever, check the freq and make sure it's compatible w/ US networks, GSM 850, 1900 vs Europe = 900, 1800...
katrina

Nov 5, 2006, 5:29 PM
In general the large carriers with cheap phone prices lock their phones. Most phones from T-Mobile, Orange, SFR, Vodafone, etc will be locked.
Rich Brome

Oct 19, 2006, 3:04 PM
No. Many carriers in many countries lock their phones. In some other countries, there are many more shops selling unlocked phones, but phones bought direct from carriers are still often locked.
Crapbag

Dec 23, 2006, 10:11 PM
As for the stores with unlocked devices, are these sold at the outright price? Would it be comparable to what we in the US sell ours for at an outright price? Last one, do you sign up for a contract when purchasing a Locked device? Thanks.
Leandra48

Dec 15, 2006, 1:36 AM
Verizon doesn`t lock their phones.

The problem with unlocked phones you bring to the US and use on US carriers , you will have problems with Data services. They are not set correctly to the carriers settings. You might have a fancy phone, but can`t send textmessages, pictures or check email.
mrcamp

Dec 17, 2006, 9:06 AM
Verizon is not GSM. So, the concept of unlocked/locked phones does not really apply to them. If you buy an overseas phone, or a phone from another US carrier for example, SMS will work. SMS settings are stored on the sim, so no need to change anything. MMS settings will need to be sent to the phone. Ans those are usually available on net or on the carriers website and will be sent to the phone automatically on request.
katrina

Dec 17, 2006, 5:41 PM
Yep, setting up a phone for MMS and internet is very painless now with OTA configuration. Most carriers and phone manufacturers web sites have links to send setting to a phone now.
biznass

Dec 20, 2006, 10:24 AM
I bought a phone in England and took it to a shady looking shop that sold luggage and unlocked phones in Leicester Square, London. They said it would be 45 minutes but it took an hour and a half and when they brought the phone back, the back cover wasn't the same pink as the phone so I don't know what they did but it worked back home (except for the internet of course) so who cares 😁
biznass

Dec 20, 2006, 10:26 AM
I should say I bought the phone at Carphone Warehouse and it was on the 02 network, then I took it to the shop to get it unlocked.

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.