Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

sims, locks & Nokia 3100

cellnaive

Sep 25, 2006, 3:08 PM
Forgive me, i'm new to this.
I have a Nokia 3100 which has a provider and a number based in the UK.
I'm now off to other points in the globe (Argentina, Mexico, Germany, Japan). By the time calls in those countries are either sent or received on this phone, it's costing me a fortune per minute.
Should i be buying a new SIM for my phone as i arrive in each country?
Does that mean i get a new (local) phone number with each new SIM?
Am I buying a prepaid sim? or arranging for new billing each time??
And what does having "locked" or "unlocked" phone mean and how would I know if mine is locked or unlocked?
Thanks in advance,
cn
raycarroll70

Sep 25, 2006, 3:48 PM
An unlocked handset is one where the restrictions of using another wireless carrier's SIM card in it has been removed. An example of this would be taking an unlocked Cingular Wireless branded handset and placing a T Mobile SIM card in it and using the T Mobile serivce and network.
The easiest way to see if your Nokia 3100 is unlocked is to take a mate's SIM who's wireless carrier is different from yours and place it in your 3100. If you can make/receive phone calls on it after this, the Nokia 3100's more than likely unlocked.
In the event your Nokia 3100 is locked, here's a website I've used to unlock various Nokia handsets.
http://www.nokiafx.com/ »
mdhk123

Sep 26, 2006, 12:26 AM
maybe you know where to get info on unlocking lgs.thanks.mdhk123@yahoo.com
raycarroll70

Sep 26, 2006, 10:44 PM
LOL! Sorry people, but I just know this one for the Nokia handsets. Most of the others either need a cable to unlock them or the EPROM flashed to remove the lock.
mrcamp

Sep 28, 2006, 9:22 AM
If your phone is locked, get it unlocked. That phone is one of those that can be unlocked for free. Check the links that have already been posted. As for getting a new sim in each country Vs roaming, it depends on how long you will be in each country an how many calls you will be making. A multi-country sim will probably suit you better. Check the international forum in the link below and check the providers page there.

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/ »

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.