Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 20 replies

Programming a Korean CDMA phone for Verizon w/ESN

wells4cy

Jun 10, 2004, 6:57 PM
I have tried a few Korean single band 800 mhz CDMA phones on my Verizon account however one of them I'm having a problem activating and don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if I have an incorrect ESN number. There is no clear "ESN" beneath the battery only some letters and numbers and korean characters. I tried everything that was beneath the battery and nothing seemed to work. I was given an ESN number with the phone and that is not working either. Does anyone know if there is a trick to this or how I can find the ESN number to my phone. Any information would be most appreciated. Thank you!
richcee

Jul 25, 2004, 6:00 PM
How did you activate your Korean phones on Verizon? Getting a Startac 2004 from Korea and was wondering what I was in for and how to get it to work. Thanks for your help!!
renfield

Jul 26, 2004, 9:00 AM
Heh heh you'll need tp get the programming info form the Manufacturer then Contact Verizon to see if it can even be done. Good Luck.
schnozejt

Jul 27, 2004, 11:15 AM
most new moto phones can enter manual programing mode by pressing 74663 # menu menu w/ 10seconds of startup at a steady pace
towermonkey

Jul 27, 2004, 11:39 AM
This is true, but from what I remember, Korean CDMA uses different frequencies that US CDMA. I think CDMA800 is the only common freq.
Rich Brome

Jul 27, 2004, 5:49 PM
800 MHz is the overlapping frequency band.

Korea doesn't have tri-mode phones like here - they're all either CDMA 800 or CDMA 1900, not both. If it's a CDMA 800 (cellular) phone, it can usually be made to work on the Verizon network. CDMA 1900 (PCS) is totally different and incompatible between the U.S. and Korea.

Of course it will only work in Verizon's 800 MHz areas, and most of the advanced features won't work.

Another way to do this is to buy the phone from an importer that will help you with the activation process. Wireless Imports is one such company:

http://www.wirelessimports.com/ »

...of course you'll pay a lot more, but if you have the cash it sure beats trying to program it yourself (and you save on the airfare to Kor...
(continues)
BJA

Jan 7, 2006, 2:47 PM
I bought a Samsung SCH-i730 in the US and have it working on Verizon.

I spend a lot of time in Kiev Ukraine and there is a new CDMA network that covers the city of Kiev.

I would like to use this phone in Kiev and in US when I return to the US?

The Samsung is dual band.

Can I "unlock" the Verizon lock and put it on another network?

BJA
dave73

Jan 9, 2006, 12:12 AM
In order to use it in another country where they use CDMA, Verizon has to flash the phone so it'll work in those countries. When you return to the states, then you do the *228 option to make the phone work in the states again.
BJA

Jan 9, 2006, 2:11 AM
What about using a Verizon programmed Samsung SCH-i730 on CDMA network in Kiev???
halo

Jan 12, 2006, 7:01 PM
Sorry, but Kiev is only GSM. Been there myself so I know what I'm talking about. ;)
BJA

Jan 12, 2006, 7:36 PM
I really appreciate the comeback. You may be traveled, but not hands on. There are 5 operators "selling" CDMA IN KIEV TODAY.

You should come more often and do your homework better.

Not to beat on you, but when was the last time you were here.

BJA
BurningIce

Jul 30, 2004, 4:18 PM
you might be able to find the esn by searching through your phone's menu listings. my moto v60 has the esn under menu>setting>phone status>other information>esn.

it might help if you list the phone's manufacturer and model. that way people who are knowledgable can give you better information that's specific to your phone.

good luck and you may want to try looking at other wireless forums for help, in particular hofo.
Luconics

Sep 20, 2007, 12:04 PM
I'm facing the same problem! I poccess Samsung SCH S350 but it has no ESN beneath the battery! I have conducted Nam Programming but my Service Provider can't activate the phone without valid ESN in hex form. Apart from MDN and IMSI, ESN is vital important for ACTIVATION. Now, what do we do to solve this problem?
Yean

Sep 20, 2007, 1:07 PM
Do you have the dec esn? Sprint (work) gives me a tool that converts dec to hex and vis versa.
I wonder if this will work for any esn's other than Sprint? I can try if you want me to.
StoreLead

Sep 20, 2007, 8:43 PM
i don't think it will. but give it a try. keep us posted.
Zipsta

Nov 4, 2007, 9:27 AM
I'm confused. Can we or can we not use a phone from Korea on Verizon network in US? If so, how? Can someone explain this? I'm a newbie when it comes to this stuff, so if you can be gentle. Thanks.
Yean

Nov 7, 2007, 5:44 PM
Korean phones may have a different CDMA band and platform. Plus, VZW will only, or may only allow VZW branded phones.
Zipsta

Nov 13, 2007, 7:02 AM
So, then there's no point in buying a phone while I'm in Korea. That sucks.

Thanks for the info.

Z.
sangyup81

Dec 4, 2007, 9:54 AM
Korea uses CDMA800 but not CDMA1900
Rich Brome

Nov 30, 2007, 10:57 AM
It is possible with SOME Korean phones, but not all, and it is very difficult. You shouldn't spend the money unless you're absolutely sure you know what you're doing or know someone who does.
NaCH

Dec 5, 2007, 10:09 AM
Or....BUY A US PHONE

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.