Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 6 replies

Buying a "graymarket" phone, and warranty issues?

flippinparrot

Mar 12, 2006, 1:00 PM
I want to buy a Nokia 6681 phone because it favors world GSM frequencies (900 & 1800) over domestic (it also has 900). And I just plain like Nokia's.

When I e-mailed Nokia, not surprisingly I was told that NokiaUSA would not honor any warranty for any 6681 because it is not marketed domestically.

The only option is to accept some kind of warranty from the importer. I'm a bit concerned about this, especially with this phone, because it seems to have bugs in firmware that as they are discovered, Nokia needs to update the firmware. Importers don't have the capability to do this, and I presume -- that if they indeed agree to do this, which is not absolute -- they would have to send this to the home country (ie Europe).

What are other...
(continues)
Wireless Consultant

Mar 13, 2006, 1:29 PM
Don't mess the phone if you are worried about warranty issues.

If you can not download the firmware yourself online, forget it.

If you still want the phone call local Nokia repair centers and asked if the have the firmaware, before buying the phone.

In Miami we sometimes have the different software need.

www.CurtisM.com
3ntropy

Mar 22, 2006, 4:03 PM
ppl bring in handsets from europe and want us to connect them. we do not reccomend this because they may only work on one of the u.s.'s frequencies so some features won't be available on them that are available on cingular phones. also, cingular will not honor any warranty on a phone not purchased through them.
allstarmatt614

Mar 27, 2006, 9:39 AM
If there are warranty issues do not buy the phone. Simple. If you are worried about the phone and software problems do not get it either. No company (Cingular, T-mobile, Verizon) will honor warranty issues and all companies prefer you get phones from them directly instead of overseas.
crxtreme89

Mar 25, 2006, 1:17 PM
Forget the warranty. You bypass that by purchasing the phone from overseas unless you send it back overseas to warranty it. Too much of a PITA for a phone that you spent way too much for. To each his own I suppose. 🙄
blueturtles

Apr 7, 2006, 2:51 AM
they work fine and they're a lot cheaper and we all know that phones outside america are much more high-tech. thing is if you don't have the cingular or tmobile software, then you can't utilise all the features the network has to offer. you can make calls and send text messaged but you can't get online, nor can you send video or picture messages. i have a greymarket motorola razr and i'm on cingular. i can't send picture messages.

actually, if anyone could help me with this, i'd appreciate it.
reddi

May 24, 2006, 11:09 PM
To be able to access the web and the picture messages you need cingular to send you the software. If you call customer care, or talk to a saavy sales rep they will be able to send you the data file that you need. it only takes about five minutes to update the phone, and can be done remotely

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.