Home  ›  Forums  ›

Around the World

all discussions

show all 5 replies

Question from non-tech-savvy parent

cshlafer

Feb 6, 2006, 1:58 AM
My daughter, 14, will be going to London with her drama class in April for a week. Can she take her cellphone with her (Samsung sch-a670) and have it work there? If so, what do I have to do to make sure it will work? If not, is there any good alternative I can purchase/arrange for her so she'll have a phone there?

Thanks.
kellenhoskins

Feb 6, 2006, 12:01 PM
Since she is going to europe and your phone is through verizon the phone probably will not work since it is cdma and they use mainly gsm there. They work largely in pre paid service in the UK (or so my aunt from London told me) and they probably have some sort of program where she can rent a phone and but some pre paid minutes for it. I hope this helps
mrcamp

Feb 7, 2006, 7:18 PM
Have her get an unlocked GSM phone that has at leats the 900/1800 band on ebay. She can get a farly good one for less than $100. She gets to London, and buys a prapaid sim there. That will give here a local number, and incoming calls will be free. With Orange and Virgin calls back to the US are around 20 pence. Not bad at all. I m with sprint myself, but carry a couple of GSM phones for international travel. I go to London quite often, so I have both Virgin and Orange sim cards.
howardk111

Feb 8, 2006, 5:52 AM
I have heard that to buy a prepaid sim card in Europe, that one has to pay approximately $50 as an initial fee and that the phone charges will be imposed in addition. To your knowledge, is this correct?
mrcamp

Feb 8, 2006, 6:17 AM
No, that's not correct. They even give them away for free if you have a UK address for it to be mailed to. That's why you see a lot of them on ebay for next to nothing. Here is an ebay search: I bought both my sims on ebay for about $12 each total. The virgin on came with 5 pounds credit too.

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs& ... »
howardk111

Feb 8, 2006, 6:50 AM
I heard what I asked about from someone who was in Zurich, not London. To your knowledge, does it work differently there?

You must log in to reply.

Please log in to report a message to the moderator.

all discussions

Subscribe to Phone Scoop News with RSS Follow @phonescoop on Threads Follow @phonescoop on Mastodon Phone Scoop on Facebook Follow on Instagram

Playwire

All content Copyright 2001-2024 Phone Factor, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
Content on this site may not be copied or republished without formal permission.